Buckwheat High In Magnesium, Even Higher Than Dark Chocolate

Broken man

I love the nutty taste of buckwheat and it was a staple in my diet in my pre-peat days. The slavic people (hubby's side); buckwheat was grown as a staple cereal instead of wheat which was the staple cereal of my ancestors. It is extremely versatile in the diet, used to make pancakes, porridge, soups and as substitute in rice dishes. However, we have never sprouted the buckwheat or drank green juice from buckwheat leaves. Seems to be a recent trend promoted by those more enlightened than our uneducated, old-time peasants. BTW, long-lived peoples. My mother-in-law has never aluded to such practices in the history of her village. One needs to not search far on the internet, to find recipes by misguided raw food champions. Advocates who sprout the buckwheat and use it in its raw state under the assumption this is a healthier way to eat it.

Buckwheat: the scoop! - The Natural Nutritionist

I vaguely recall Peat mentioning a toxin associated with buckwheat. After a little research, I found this toxin to be fagopyrin. I wrote expressing my concerns to supplement manufacturers who were incorporating sprouted buckwheat in their formula. They were not concerned with the issue of fagopyrin toxicity. Perhaps they had found a means of removing the toxin or the amount of buckwheat sprout powder in the supplement was so minute, that it was of little concern. I feel a warning label is justified especially for those suffering associated conditions.

Here is an article published in the Townsend Letters back in 2004. It seems David Avocado Wolf was aware of the toxicity. It makes one wonder why warnings of such toxicity were not heavy publicised throughout the alternative health community.

I'd hate to think I have thrown the baby out with the bath water by completely avoiding buckwheat. Peat only recently changed his mind on mushrooms; learning that boiling them inactivated the carcinogen found in their raw state.

The following paper interestingly was published by Slavic researchers and may help weigh up whether buckwheat grouts and flour can be safely incorporated into the diet.

The content of fagopyrin and polyphenols in common and tartary buckwheat sprouts : Acta Pharmaceutica

The intake of 10 g of dry mass (or approximately 30 g of fresh mass) of buckwheat sprouts may, on the other hand, cause severe phototoxicity, but this might strongly depend on the exposure to sunlight, body mass and age.

So if you are going to eat sprouted buckwheat, best to stay in the dark. Buckwheat it seems is best not sprouted, just rinsed and cooked. Sprouting does increase nutrient density but it seems to also increase toxins too.

The image below shows where the cotyledons are found on the plant. This is where the highest concentration of fagopyrin is found. So it appears, the groats to be the safest, unless we listen to those health advocates and feel compelled to sprout them. :wtf

View attachment 9163
Thank you.

biffbelvin

I love the nutty taste of buckwheat and it was a staple in my diet in my pre-peat days. The slavic people (hubby's side); buckwheat was grown as a staple cereal instead of wheat which was the staple cereal of my ancestors. It is extremely versatile in the diet, used to make pancakes, porridge, soups and as substitute in rice dishes. However, we have never sprouted the buckwheat or drank green juice from buckwheat leaves. Seems to be a recent trend promoted by those more enlightened than our uneducated, old-time peasants. BTW, long-lived peoples. My mother-in-law has never aluded to such practices in the history of her village. One needs to not search far on the internet, to find recipes by misguided raw food champions. Advocates who sprout the buckwheat and use it in its raw state under the assumption this is a healthier way to eat it.
View attachment 9163

This is really interesting as I do like to eat buckwheat sprouts. I only sprout them for 3 days maximum and only eat 30grams or so in a day at most, but i'll make a point of not exceeding this, and avoiding sprouts in the summer.

GelatinGoblin

Do you bake yet the buckwheat like that @Pompadour ? I don't forget buckwheat well when I boil it..

3 cm of bottele water above buckwheat, use a well sized pot. You have to turn it off as soon as the buckwheat has risen to the water level. Maybe add a bit more water if you don't like it too hard. You just can't leave the buckwheat or it'll burn.

VitoScaletta

I never seemed to digest buckwheat well, even with pre-soaking and long cooking.
I think it is a potential allergen.
Well you're not supposed to soak buckwheat, it causes it to start sprouting and producing Oxalic Acid etc.
Traditionally speaking it's not soaked, aswell.

Have you had any success since then?

Thanks.

Birdie

There are tradeoffs. If buckwheat is a food staple for people, then it can be nourishing. I am not one of those people. I avoid grains and use a little masa and sometimes rice flour. I don't have the background to find this an easy source of food. But buckwheat has interesting pros and cons.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals