Brunner Syndrome

M

member 6316

Brunner syndrome is a rare genetic disorder associated with a mutation in the MAOA gene.

Brunner syndrome is caused by a monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) deficiency, which leads to an excess of monoamines in the brain, such as serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine (noradrenaline). In both mice and humans, a mutation was located on the eighth exon of the MAO-A gene, which created a dysfunctional MAO-A gene. The regular function of MAO-A, breaking down monoamines, is disrupted, and monoamines build up within the brain. Mice that lacked a functional MAO-A gene displayed higher levels of aggression, in comparison to mice with a functional MAO-A gene

Characteristic biochemical abnormalities included high serum serotonin .

Symptomatic individuals have particularly high serotonin levels, and treatment with a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and dietary modification resulted in reversal of biochemical abnormalities, reduction of 'serotonergic' symptoms and behavioural improvement.

Any thoughts on this?

OP
M

member 6316

Gonna try something called Peganum harmala

''. A study published in the 2009 issue of Food and Chemical Toxicology found that harmaline and harmine in the seed extracts of Peganum harmala were potent MAO-A inhibitors; and harmine in the root extract was an active MAO-A inhibitor.''

(EDIT) hm nevermind I think i got it wrong. the more MAO activity you have the less neurotransmitters you end up with I thought it was the other way around if you slowed down MAO activity you would have less serotonin etc.. can someone help me understand?

Common Herbs With MAO Inhibitor Activity

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

member 6316

What is something that increases MAO-A activity?

(EDIT) Might try something like Apigenin , Luteolin or Valproic Acid

Last edited by a moderator: