Bromelain

OP
Dolomite

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Do you feel some improvements?
Oh, yes, I think it has stopped the GERD for now and after the initial knee pain was gone there has been no recurrence. I do wonder if I could overdo this supplement and may start taking every other day to see if that is often enough. I have been taking it for about six weeks minus the five days I referred to.

It is expensive so that is a drawback.

Broken man

Oh, yes, I think it has stopped the GERD for now and after the initial knee pain was gone there has been no recurrence. I do wonder if I could overdo this supplement and may start taking every other day to see if that is often enough. I have been taking it for about six weeks minus the five days I referred to.

I am thinking what is better, buying pineapple everyday or bromelain supplement......

OP
Dolomite

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I am thinking what is better, buying pinneapple everyday or bromelain supplement......
I don't have much luck finding good pineapple regularly. They often do not ripen. Also, the I don't know how much pineapple would deliver that much bromelain. But if I could eat it daily I would.

OP
Dolomite

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@Wagner83 , yes, I am still using the bromelain. I really think it is what has "cured" my GERD symptoms. I haven't had any of them since starting the bromelain. I was hoping for an end to sinusitis and it may be better but I still notice hay fever. But the hay fever may just histamine related.

I don't know if it is wise to take it for so long but I really enjoy not getting indigestion.

I haven't noticed any blood thinning effects but I don't take vitamin e, aspirin or progesterone.

D

Deleted member 5487

Do we have a link to Travis's post.

Pineapple has been having a Profound effect on me. My white tongue has disappeared, and It seems to be tanking my cortisol and I am getting skinnier. I believe it related to the gut.

OP
Dolomite

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@Amarsh213

2. What do you think is the best way to prevent and reverse fibrosis and calcification?
Vitamin K prevents calcification by creating γ-carboxyglutamate domains on proteins, binding free Ca²⁺ thereby preventing its precipitation with free pyrophosphate. This effect is best demonstrated in animals taking Warfarin, those whose arteries and veins so calcified as to become 'chalk-like' within weeks.⁽²⁾ Brain calcification is best reversed by carbon dioxide because it's the substrate for neuronal carbonic anhydrase, an enzyme that creates acidity by converting it into carbonic acid. Magnesium also antagonizes calcification and fibrosis,⁽¹⁾⁽⁴⁾ and pineapples would be expected to as well because they contain both bromelain and ascorbic acid: The former is absorbed whole and can degrade damaged collagen and scar tissue,⁽⁵⁾ while the latter induces new procollagen synthesis over fourfold at only 100 μM.⁽³⁾

[1] Meema, H. "Serum magnesium level and arterial calcification in end-stage renal disease." Kidney international (1987)
[2] Price, P.A. "Warfarin causes rapid calcification of the elastic lamellae in rat arteries and heart valves." Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology (1998)
[3] Geesin, J.C. "Ascorbic acid specifically increases type I and type III procollagen messenger RNA levels in human skin fibroblasts." Journal of Investigative Dermatology (1988)
[4] Heggtveit, H. "Cardiac necrosis and calcification in experimental magnesium deficiency: a light and electron microscopic study." The American journal of pathology (1964)
[5] Castell, J. V. "Intestinal absorption of undegraded proteins in men: presence of bromelain in plasma after oral intake." American Journal of Physiology-Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology(1997)

Travis, Sep 25,

The above is from the Travis corner thread. I don’t really have a specific link but if you search that thread for bomelian you will find a lot of discussion about it and pineapples.

That is great that your white tongue has gone away and your gut is improved. I feel the same way. The purified bromelain is what got rid of my GERD. I still take it.

Pistachio

Started taking bromelain today for chronic post-nasal drip and my annoying over-production of phlegm. So far, it is helping.

Black Ops

Not sure if this is an issue with long term bromelain supplementation. Looks like antibodies are made when bromelain is taken in a repeated manner. I'm not versed in immunology so not sure if this a problematic issue.

Our previous studies showed that high anti-bromelain serum IgG titers were generated with daily or 5×/weekly oral doses of bromelain for ≥5 weeks [4]. This experiment was designed to further define the kinetics of anti-bromelain immune responses following oral exposure. Groups of 5 mice were given 10 mg bromelain orally in 100 mg/ml NaHCO3 either once, twice, or 5 times weekly for 8 weeks. The antacid vehicle was chosen to enhance retention of bromelain proteinase activity in vivo [4]. Antibody responses were determined weekly, beginning 3 weeks after the first dose of vaccine. The % responders (defined by a serum titer ≥1:256) and the mean serum titer of specific antibromelain IgG increased with the number of bromelain doses given (Fig. 1A and B). All mice that received at least 12 doses of bromelain had developed strong antibody responses by 6 weeks. Mice that received bromelain only once per week had mean titers at 8 weeks that were significantly less that those that received bromelain twice per week (p= 0.03). Responses were similar for groups that received bromelain either 2× or 5×/week

I'm inclined towards this being a non issue due to the fact that its capable of being absorbed into the bloodstream and maintains full proteolytic activity so antibody formation would be expected. Also the LD50 has found to be extremely high in comparison with the strengths found in supplements. No toxic effects were observed.

According to Taussig et al. [75] bromelain has very low toxicity with an LD50 (lethal doses) greater than 10 g/kg in mice, rates, and rabbits. Toxicity tests on dogs, with increasing level of bromelain up to 750 mg/kg administered daily, showed no toxic effects after six months. Dosages of 1500 mg/kg per day when administered to rats showed no carcinogenic or teratogenic effects and did not provoke any alteration in food intake, histology of heart, growth, spleen, kidney, or hematological parameters [76]. Eckert et al. [41] after giving bromelain (3000 FIP unit/day) to human over a period of ten days found no significant changes in blood coagulation parameters.

Can anyone advise on this matter

Oral immunogenicity of the plant proteinase bromelain
Properties and Therapeutic Applications Of Bromelain : A Review

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals