Bright Flash Of Light Marks Incredible Moment Life Begins When Sperm Meets Egg

Travis

Incredible. If only they had Nikola Tesla's sperm...

noordinary

One of the most beatiful things I've ever seen, amazing, thank you for sharing.
Need to reread Body Electric.

Travis

noordinary

You can get that .pdf online for free!

I read it about ten years ago. It's worth reading.

Thank you, for some reason i really enjoy reading paper books, and use my laptop or kindle only if i need to travel light.

I read it about 4 years ago. But i guess i will have a different perspective now, and more appresiation for it.

The conception from energy perspective if beutiful though, facinating, and makes so much sense now.

Queequeg

very cool. I hate to be such a materialist but they have a pretty good explanation for this
"The bright flash occurs because when sperm enters an egg it leads to a surge of calcium which triggers the release of zinc from the egg. As the zinc shoots out, it binds to small molecules which emit a fluorescence which can be picked up by camera microscopes."

Though I like to think it is the soul as well. Just as when one dies apparently the last thing you see is a tunnel of light leading you back home:)

Travis

There are quite a few fluorescent molecules in the cell. Tryptophan and flavin (B₂, FAD) are the ones that most easily come to mind.

OP
S
very cool. I hate to be such a materialist but they have a pretty good explanation for this
"The bright flash occurs because when sperm enters an egg it leads to a surge of calcium which triggers the release of zinc from the egg. As the zinc shoots out, it binds to small molecules which emit a fluorescence which can be picked up by camera microscopes."

Though I like to think it is the soul as well. Just as when one dies apparently the last thing you see is a tunnel of light leading you back home:)
The fact that it works through a mechanism doesn't mean it isn't something extraordinary. The problem with the West is that it loves to poke fun at "magic" for not having a mechanism, when the very definition of the word implies that there isn't a mechanism. Then when something becomes explained, they claim it wasn't "magic" in the first place, and proceed to declare that "magic" does indeed not exist. Well thanks a lot. You are merely taking the evidence against you and turning it in your favor through strawman arguments. Extraordinary phenomena can and will be described rationally, and this is what they are scared of. Incidentally, the "afterlife"/permanence of consciousness is a metaphysical necessity and can be proven in as formal terms as you can afford.

Constatine

The fact that it works through a mechanism doesn't mean it isn't something extraordinary. The problem with the West is that it loves to poke fun at "magic" for not having a mechanism, when the very definition of the word implies that there isn't a mechanism. Then when something becomes explained, they claim it wasn't "magic" in the first place, and proceed to declare that "magic" does indeed not exist. Well thanks a lot. You are merely taking the evidence against you and turning it in your favor through strawman arguments. Extraordinary phenomena can and will be described rationally, and this is what they are scared of. Incidentally, the "afterlife"/permanence of consciousness is a metaphysical necessity and can be proven in as formal terms as you can afford.
+1

Queequeg

I agree that it is pretty cool and quite symbolic but given that it also happens in mice embryos and has a simple physical explanation tells me that this flash of light does not signal the creation of a new soul. It's not my fearful nature that drove my conclusion. If there was no other explanation then I would agree that there is something supernatural going on. You may wish to read up on Occam’s Razor.

Also no one attacks magic for not having a physical explanation. That is what makes it real magic. It’s when a sleight of hand or a hidden mirror is used that most people correctly dismiss something as not magical.

Last edited:

Constatine

Any reason why you wish to make it personal? I agree that it is pretty cool and quite symbolic but given that it also happens in mice embryos and has a simple physical explanation tells me that this flash of light does not signal the creation of a new soul. If there was no other explanation then I would agree that there is something supernatural going on. It's not my fearful nature that drove my conclusion. You may wish to read up on Occam’s Razor.

Also no one attacks magic for not having a physical explanation. That is what makes it real magic. It’s when a sleight of hand or a hidden mirror is used that most people correctly dismiss something as not magical.
Not really for or against the concept of a soul but what would make you think a mouse doesn't have one assuming a human does?

Queequeg

Not really for or against the concept of a soul but what would make you think a mouse doesn't have one assuming a human does?
Well my main reason was that when there is a simple explanation for something then that is usually the reason for it to happen. But getting to the mouse soul, it seems to me that there is something very special about humans including self awareness and higher thought that other animals don't have. What exactly would a mouse soul do?

Last edited:

Constatine

Well my main reason was that when there is a simple explanation for something then that is usually the reason for it to happen. But getting to the mouse soul, it seems to me that there is something very special about humans including self awareness and higher thought that other animals don't have. What exactly would a mouse soul do?
In my opinion animals have a very similar consciousness to humans minus higher thought. There doesn't seem to be an obvious physical mechanism that seperates humans from other species in this regard besides just more brain mass. But it is not strictly brain mass that influences our self awareness it is neurotransmitters like serotonin and gaba as well as brain energy metabolism (which is linked to such neurotransmitters).
What would a human soul do? If a soul were to exsist it seems it would be the electrical (or energetic) consequence of the body.

Constatine

In my opinion animals have a very similar consciousness to humans minus higher thought. There doesn't seem to be an obvious physical mechanism that seperates humans from other species in this regard besides just more brain mass. But it is not strictly brain mass that influences our self awareness it is neurotransmitters like serotonin and gaba as well as brain energy metabolism (which is linked to such neurotransmitters).
What would a human soul do? If a soul were to exsist it seems it would be the electrical (or energetic) consequence of the body.
To clarify energy or specifically electricity seems to guide structure. It's kind of far fetched but thus the body can be thought of as the instrument of the soul from which the soul can express itself.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals