Brewer's Yeast A Cure For Diabetes And More..

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks for this thread! I had no idea about nutritional yeast being high in histamines - this explains why I always feel sick after eating it. I've never tried brewer's yeast, but I'm going to give it a go. My only question is about the B-vitamins: aren't B-vitamins heat sensitive? So wouldn't pouring boiling water over the brewer's yeast destroy some of the B-vitamins?
I don’t know about boiling water maybe warm water would be better. I am happy to help!

FrostedShores

I received my brewer's yeast today. It's the kind made using beet molasses. Based on some of the comments here, I was expecting it to taste pretty bad, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it tastes quite nice: a kind of meaty, earthy flavor, with a nice bit of saltiness. I mixed it with water and drank the whole thing down, sediment and all. I'm going to give it a few days and see how I react to it, but so far so good!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I received my brewer's yeast today. It's the kind made using beet molasses. Based on some of the comments here, I was expecting it to taste pretty bad, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it tastes quite nice: a kind of meaty, earthy flavor, with a nice bit of saltiness. I mixed it with water and drank the whole thing down, sediment and all. I'm going to give it a few days and see how I react to it, but so far so good!
Is the one you bought low in iron?

Last edited:

thesmileyone

You guys might wish to try Epicor instead

The microorganism in question is Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EpiCor is stressed. Brewer's and nutritional yeast are not. While the microorganisms are being stressed, they produce an over-abundance of immunological compounds. During this process, they are suddenly heat-treated and inactivated. The final product is (1) the medium, in which the yeast is cultured, (2) the yeast itself, including the beta-glucans, vitamins, proteins, minerals, and other nutrients, and (3) other compounds created during the stress period. The last part (3) is what makes EpiCor unique and effective above and beyond simple brewer's or nutritional yeast.

I take another companies version of "stressed" s.cerevisiae both standalone and in a stacked product along with turkey tail mushroom, palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) 5% thymoquinone black seed oil extract, Oleamide, Red Reishi 16:1 mushroom, Tyrosol and Sucrosomial Zinc. Not only does this stop / minimize getting sick, but I find I lose fat when I take it also which is a pleasant surprise. I'm new here so I won't name the brand or supplement name.
I'm currently taking a penicillin derivative for cellulitis from an infected insect bite (possible spider bite) and this supplement + the epicor derivative along with yakult and a probiotic has stopped all the diahhrear antibiotics cause, interestingly the antibiotic has actually made my stools healthier.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You guys might wish to try Epicor instead

I take another companies version of "stressed" s.cerevisiae both standalone and in a stacked product along with turkey tail mushroom, palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) 5% thymoquinone black seed oil extract, Oleamide, Red Reishi 16:1 mushroom, Tyrosol and Sucrosomial Zinc. Not only does this stop / minimize getting sick, but I find I lose fat when I take it also which is a pleasant surprise. I'm new here so I won't name the brand or supplement name.
I'm currently taking a penicillin derivative for cellulitis from an infected insect bite (possible spider bite) and this supplement + the epicor derivative along with yakult and a probiotic has stopped all the diahhrear antibiotics cause, interestingly the antibiotic has actually made my stools healthier.
Yours sounds like one my husband’s homeopath prescribed him.

Attachments

• FA799F1F-C4E5-42F2-85FE-721DA41A327C.png
    FA799F1F-C4E5-42F2-85FE-721DA41A327C.png
    240 KB · Views: 26
  • F9D139A9-D17A-490D-840B-553F8F00D849.png
    F9D139A9-D17A-490D-840B-553F8F00D849.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 25
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Since the first doctor noticed, hundreds of years ago, that the urine of a diabetic patient tasted sweet, it has been common to call the condition the sugar disease, or sugar diabetes, and since nothing was known about physiological chemistry, it was commonly believed that eating too much sugar had to be the cause, since the ability of the body to convert the protein in tissues into sugar wasn’t discovered until 1848, by Claude Bernard (who realized that diabetics lost more sugar than they took in). Even though patients continued to pass sugar in their urine until they died, despite the elimination of sugar from their diet, medical policy required that they be restrained to keep them from eating sugar. That prescientific medical belief, that eating sugar causes diabetes, is still held by a very large number, probably the majority, of physicians.“
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The purpose of their study was to see whether fructose causes "glucose intolerance" and "insulin resistance." Since insulin stimulates appetite (Chance, et al, 1986; Dulloo and Girardier, 1989; Czech, 1988; DiBattista, 1983; Sonoda, 1983; Godbole and York, 1978), and fat synthesis, the reduced food consumption and reduced weight gain show that fructose was protecting against these potentially harmful effects of insulin.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Sweeteners made from sugar cane and sugar beets are sources of sucrose. These products include table sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, cane juice and beet sugar. Maple syrup and molasses are also sources of sucrose. The main dietary source of glucose is corn syrup, but the starches in corn and potatoes also contain glucose. Fruits, vegetables and honey are mainly comprised of fructose. Fruit juice contains sucrose, glucose and fructose in varying proportions.”

CastorTroy

For brewer's yeast the best is going with active, unpasteurized. High thermal treatment for "stabilizing" purposes degrades the product and creates AGEs,

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Diabetes was named for the excessive urination it causes, and for the sugar in the urine. It was called the sugar disease, and physicians were taught that sugar was the problem. Patients were ordered to avoid sweet foods, and in hospitals they were sometimes locked up to keep them from finding sweets. The practice was derived from ideology, not from any evidence that the treatment helped.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Diabetes was named for the excessive urination it causes, and for the sugar in the urine. It was called the sugar disease, and physicians were taught that sugar was the problem. Patients were ordered to avoid sweet foods, and in hospitals they were sometimes locked up to keep them from finding sweets. The practice was derived from ideology, not from any evidence that the treatment helped.

In 1857, M. Piorry in Paris and William Budd in Bristol, England, reasoned that if a patient was losing a pound of sugar every day in 10 liters of urine, and was losing weight very rapidly, and had an intense craving for sugar, it would be reasonable to replace some of the lost sugar, simply because the quick weight loss of diabetes invariably led to death. Keeping patients from eating what they craved seemed both cruel and futile.

After Budd's detailed reports of a woman's progressive recovery over a period of several weeks when he prescribed 8 ounces of sugar every day, along with a normal diet including beef and beef broth, a London physician, Thomas Williams, wrote sarcastically about Budd's metaphysical ideas, and reported his own trial of a diet that he described as similar to Budd's. But after two or three days he decided his patients were getting worse, and stopped the experiment.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Williams' publication was presented as a scientific refutation of Budd's deluded homeopathic ideas, but Budd hadn't explained his experiment as anything more than an attempt to slow the patient's death from wasting which was sure to be the result of losing so much sugar in the urine. The following year Budd described another patient, a young man who had become too weak to work and who was losing weight at an extreme rate. Budd's prescription included 8 ounces of white sugar and 4 ounces of honey every day, and again, instead of increasing the amount of glucose in the urine, the amount decreased quickly as the patient began eating almost as much sugar as was being lost initially, and then as the loss of sugar in the urine decreased, the patient gained weight and recovered his strength.

Drs. Budd and Piorry described patients recovering from an incurable disease, and that has usually been enough to make the medical profession antagonistic. Even when a physician has himself diagnosed diabetes and told a patient that it would be necessary to inject insulin for the rest of his life, if that patient recovers by changing his diet, the physician will typically say that the diagnosis was wrong, because diabetes is incurable.“ Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Estrogen and stress are both known to create some of the conditions of diabetes, while increasing fat oxidation and inhibiting glucose oxidation. Emotional stress, overwork, trauma, and infections have been known to initiate diabetes. Estrogen increases free fatty acids and decreases glycogen storage, and when birth control pills were becoming popular, some researchers warned that they might cause diabetes. But the food oil industry and the estrogen industry were satisfied with the medical doctrine that diabetes was caused by eating too much sugar.
If the essence of diabetes is the presence of too much sugar, then it seems reasonable to argue that it is the excess sugar that's responsible for the suffering and death associated with the disease, otherwise, how would the prohibition of sugar in the diet be justified? In fact, the argument is made (e.g., Muggeo, 1998) that it is the hyperglycemia that causes problems such as hypertension, kidney failure, heart failure, neuropathy, blindness, dementia, and gangrene.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Both vitamin D and vitamin K, another important calcium-regulating nutrient, are now known to prevent diabetes. Both of these vitamins require carbon dioxide for disposing of calcium properly, preventing its toxicity. When carbon dioxide is inadequate, for example from simple hyperventilation or from hypothyroidism, calcium is allowed to enter cells, causing inappropriate excitation, sometimes followed by calcification.

Keeping an optimal level of carbon dioxide (for example, when adapted to high altitude) causes calcium to be controlled, resulting in lowered parathyroid hormone, an effect similar to supplementing with calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin K. (E.g., Nicolaidou, et al, 2006.) Glycine, like carbon dioxide, protects proteins against oxidative damage (Lezcano, et al., 2006), so including gelatin (very rich in glycine) in the diet is probably protective.” -Ray Peat

Last edited:

bendis

nutritional yeast make my allergies worse I wonder if this will be an issue if I use brewers yeast

OP
Rinse & rePeat
nutritional yeast make my allergies worse I wonder if this will be an issue if I use brewers yeast
I don’t think so, nutritional yeast is natural MSG, which in itself causes inflammation…

“There's a reason nutritional yeast is so often compared to cheese: It contains naturally occurring MSG. “Monosodium glutamate is just the sodium version of glutamic acid,” said Christine Clark, a cheese writer and educator based in Burlington, Vt.May 8, 2020”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Drinking coffee seems to be very protective against developing diabetes. Its niacin and magnesium are clearly important, but it is also a rich source of antioxidants, and it helps to maintain normal thyroid and progesterone production. Chocolate is probably protective too, and it is a good source of magnesium and antioxidants.

A recent study (Xia, et al., 2008) showed that inhibition of cholesterol synthesis by beta-cells impairs insulin synthesis, and that replenishing cholesterol restores the insulin secretion. Green tea contains this type of inhibitor, but its use has nevertheless been associated with a reduced risk of diabetes. Caffeine is likely to be the main protective substance in these foods.“
-Ray Peat

Last edited: