Brewer's Yeast A Cure For Diabetes And More..

Oh, and my father always called it brewers yeast as a child. I now call it nutritional yeast. I always assumed they were/ are the same.

June

I'm glad to see this thread as something interesting came up today. My mom had an allergy IgG test done and it came back with a high allergy to Brewers Yeast! Didn't even know this was going to be on the test. So do be careful and make sure you have no allergies before consuming.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm glad to see this thread as something interesting came up today. My mom had an allergy IgG test done and it came back with a high allergy to Brewers Yeast! Didn't even know this was going to be on the test. So do be careful and make sure you have no allergies before consuming.

My oldest son had drank brewer’s yeast, as a kid for years, until I had an allergy test done on him and found he has an allergy to brewer’s yeast too. He never had any reactions to it. I am sure most people are allergic to things and don’t know it. I think it is the nut, avocado and shellfish allergies that are the dangerous allergies. My son was so happy to have that allergy cause he hated brewer’s yeast. He discovered he was allergic to grass too and was thrilled to not have to mow his dad’s lawn anymore :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
By the way, nutritional yeast is actually delicious on popcorn or toast with butter (tastes cheesy), and also on over easy eggs. A delicious breakfast: toast with butter and nutritional yeast with eggs over easy, also with nutritional yeast sprinkled on them (and salt). I feel bad for anybody who just drinks it ? Used as a sort of cheese flavoring, it's delicious. I loved it as a child and still do. Then Austin my best friend hates it when I put it on popcorn, so maybe it's an acquired taste? ??‍♀️

I like the taste of nutritional yeast better than brewer’s yeast. I love this popcorn which has nutritional yeast on it. I am not claiming it is “Peaty” though. I suppose the vitamin E in it might cover the PUFA’s.

Attachments

• A8566075-8C57-47FB-ABDD-854FA4BF35DC.png
    A8566075-8C57-47FB-ABDD-854FA4BF35DC.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 25DF15F2-B622-48B1-AAEA-C6203C0D7BD1.png
    25DF15F2-B622-48B1-AAEA-C6203C0D7BD1.png
    376.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Diabetes was named for the excessive urination it causes, and for the sugar in the urine. It was called the sugar disease, and physicians were taught that sugar was the problem. Patients were ordered to avoid sweet foods, and in hospitals they were sometimes locked up to keep them from finding sweets. The practice was derived from ideology, not from any evidence that the treatment helped.

In 1857, M. Piorry in Paris and William Budd in Bristol, England, reasoned that if a patient was losing a pound of sugar every day in 10 liters of urine, and was losing weight very rapidly, and had an intense craving for sugar, it would be reasonable to replace some of the lost sugar, simply because the quick weight loss of diabetes invariably led to death. Keeping patients from eating what they craved seemed both cruel and futile.

After Budd's detailed reports of a woman's progressive recovery over a period of several weeks when he prescribed 8 ounces of sugar every day, along with a normal diet including beef and beef broth, a London physician, Thomas Williams, wrote sarcastically about Budd's metaphysical ideas, and reported his own trial of a diet that he described as similar to Budd's. But after two or three days he decided his patients were getting worse, and stopped the experiment.

Williams' publication was presented as a scientific refutation of Budd's deluded homeopathic ideas, but Budd hadn't explained his experiment as anything more than an attempt to slow the patient's death from wasting which was sure to be the result of losing so much sugar in the urine. The following year Budd described another patient, a young man who had become too weak to work and who was losing weight at an extreme rate. Budd's prescription included 8 ounces of white sugar and 4 ounces of honey every day, and again, instead of increasing the amount of glucose in the urine, the amount decreased quickly as the patient began eating almost as much sugar as was being lost initially, and then as the loss of sugar in the urine decreased, the patient gained weight and recovered his strength.

Drs. Budd and Piorry described patients recovering from an incurable disease, and that has usually been enough to make the medical profession antagonistic. Even when a physician has himself diagnosed diabetes and told a patient that it would be necessary to inject insulin for the rest of his life, if that patient recovers by changing his diet, the physician will typically say that the diagnosis was wrong, because diabetes is incurable.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Estrogen and stress are both known to create some of the conditions of diabetes, while increasing fat oxidation and inhibiting glucose oxidation. Emotional stress, overwork, trauma, and infections have been known to initiate diabetes. Estrogen increases free fatty acids and decreases glycogen storage, and when birth control pills were becoming popular, some researchers warned that they might cause diabetes. But the food oil industry and the estrogen industry were satisfied with the medical doctrine that diabetes was caused by eating too much sugar.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Brewers' yeast has been used traditionally to correct diabetes, and its high content of niacin and other B vitamins and potassium might account for its beneficial effects. However, eating a large quantity of it is likely to cause gas, so some people prefer to extract the soluble nutrients with hot water. Yeast contains a considerable amount of estrogen, and the water extract probably leaves much of that in the insoluble starchy residue. Liver is another rich source of the B vitamins as well as the oily vitamins, but it can suppress thyroid function, so usually one meal a week is enough.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The supplements that most often help to correct diabetes-like conditions are niacinamide, thiamine, thyroid, and progesterone or pregnenolone. Vitamins D and K are clearly protective against developing diabetes, and their effects on many regulatory processes suggest that they would also help to correct existing hyperglycemia.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Aspirin has a very broad spectrum of antiinflammatory actions, and is increasingly being recommended for preventing complications of diabetes. One of the consequences of inflammation is hyperglycemia, and aspirin helps to correct that (Yuan, et al., 2001), while protecting proteins against oxidative damage (Jafarnejad, et al, 2001).“ -Ray Peat

CastorTroy

Brewer's yeast is also available debittered, which tastes better and close to soft cheese. Yet natural, unlike nutritional yeast.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Eating chocolate every day doesn’t sound like the best way to prevent diabetes, but studies have shown healthy amounts of dark chocolate rich in cacao could actually improve how the body metabolizes glucose when eaten as part of a healthy diet. Insulin resistance causes high blood glucose (sugar) and is the hallmark of type 2 diabetes, per an article published in March 2019 by StatPearls.

In a study published in October 2017 in the Journal of Community and Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives, the flavonoids in dark chocolate were found to reduce oxidative stress, which scientists think is the primary cause of insulin resistance. By improving your body’s sensitivity to insulin, resistance is reduced, and in turn the risk of diseases like diabetes decreases.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Diabetes is just one of the "terminal" diseases that can be caused by the polyunsaturated vegetable oils. Coconut oil, in diabetes as in other degenerative diseases, is highly protective.”-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In 1947, B. A. Houssay found that a diet based on sugar as a source of energy was more protective against diabetes than a diet based on lard, while the most protective diet was based on coconut oil. Lard reflects the pigs' diet, and is usually extremely unsaturated, especially since it became standard to fatten them on soybeans and corn. Essentially, his study seems to show that unsaturated (pork) fat permits diabetes to develop, sugar is slightly protective, and coconut oil is very protective against the form of diabetes caused by a poison. “ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“On a diet lacking the "essential" unsaturated fatty acids, Benhamou (1995) found that nonobese diabetic mice didn't develop diabetes, that is, the unsaturated fats themselves, without obesity, are sufficient to cause diabetes.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption. In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements. It should be remembered that amino acids, especially in eggs, stimulate insulin secretion, and that this can cause hypoglycemia, which in turn causes cortisol secretion. Eating fruit (or other carbohydrate), coconut oil, and salt at the same meal will decrease this effect of the protein. Magnesium carbonate and epsom salts can also be useful and safe supplements, except when the synthetic material causes an allergic bowel reaction.” —Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Debittered brewer’s yeast is a newer, more processed version of brewer’s yeast. The “debittering” process removes much of the chromium in the yeast, so if you’re looking for a good dietary source of chromium, check whether the brewer’s yeast you buy is debittered.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When people were given a 300 calorie drink containing glucose, or fructose, or orange juice, those receiving the glucose had a large increase in oxidative and inflammatory stress (reactive oxygen species, and NF-kappaB binding), and those changes were absent in those receiving the fructose or orange juice (Ghanim, et al., 2007).” -Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Diabetes or fasting increases free fatty acids, and forces cells to shift from oxidation of glucose to oxidation of fatty acids, inhibiting the binding of calcium (McKnight, et al., 1999). Providing a small amount of sugar (0.8% sucrose in their drinking water) restored the calcium binding and heart function, without increasing either thyroid hormone or insulin (Rupp, et al., 1988, 1999, 1994). Serum glucose was lowered, as the ability to oxidize sugar was restored by lowering free fatty acids. Activity of the sympathetic nervous system is lowered as efficiency is increased.” -Ray Peat

FrostedShores

Thanks for this thread! I had no idea about nutritional yeast being high in histamines - this explains why I always feel sick after eating it. I've never tried brewer's yeast, but I'm going to give it a go. My only question is about the B-vitamins: aren't B-vitamins heat sensitive? So wouldn't pouring boiling water over the brewer's yeast destroy some of the B-vitamins?