Brewer's Yeast A Cure For Diabetes And More..

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks for that! There are some accounts online where some have developed infections after consuming brewers yeast for long periods. Not sure how much to take with a grain of salt.

Well again it can happen if you have an allergy to it. My oldest son was allergy tested and he has a slight allergy to brewer's yeast and I was giving it to him a lot before knowing that and delt with a candida infection. Acidophilus WITH bifidus, daily, cleared it up, and I never gave him brewer's yeast again. If you don't know if you have an allergy to it I wouldn't chance it.

June

Well again it can happen if you have an allergy to it. My oldest son was allergy tested and he has a slight allergy to brewer's yeast and I was giving it to him a lot before knowing that and delt with a candida infection. Acidophilus WITH bifidus, daily, cleared it up, and I never gave him brewer's yeast again. If you don't know if you have an allergy to it I wouldn't chance it.
This is good to know. I will sit on the decision for awhile. Thanks!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My husband is suffering from anemia from the beginning stages of myeloma and bleeding out, for 14 hours, in the emergency room from a C diff infection. Upon his hospital release he was prescribed high iron pills, which I can't give him because he gets stomach issues already and iron pills are infamous for causing stomach trouble. Fortunately I found a brewer's yeast powder that has 70% iron in just 2 tablespoons. Knowing that calcium and caffeine block iron and that pairing iron with vitamin C sourcez makes it 3 times more absorbable, you know what to do. I am starting him on it on it today.

Attachments

• 20220121_130655.jpg
    20220121_130655.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220121_130703.jpg
    20220121_130703.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 18

David PS

My husband is suffering from anemia from the beginning stages of myeloma and bleeding out, for 14 hours, in the emergency room from a C diff infection. Upon his hospital release he was prescribed high iron pills, which I can't give him because he gets stomach issues already and iron pills are infamous for causing stomach trouble. Fortunately I found a brewer's yeast powder that has 70% iron in just 2 tablespoons. Knowing that calcium and caffeine block iron and that pairing iron with vitamin C sourcez makes it 3 times more absorbable, you know what to do. I am starting him on it on it today.

Be aware, brewer's yeast is not without gastrointestinal issues.

According to the American Red Cross, about 30% of the heme iron you consume is actually absorbed. Heme iron is found in animal foods. The absorption of non-heme iron (such as from brewer's yeast) is only about 2-10%.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Be aware, brewer's yeast is not without gastrointestinal issues.

According to the American Red Cross, about 30% of the heme iron you consume is actually absorbed. Heme iron is found in animal foods. The absorption of non-heme iron (such as from brewer's yeast) is only about 2-10%.
Thank you for that info. I am sure it will land on many ears appreciatively. My whole family has drank brewer's yeast for many many years without issue, although this one is a new brand, so I am gonna cross my fingers and make sure I buffer his stomach with a croissant first and give him a vitamin c source to get him to absorb as much as possible. He just wont eat meat lately so I don't have too many other options.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Saccharomyces boulardii (Sb), a nonpathogenic yeast, has been used to prevent recurrences of Clostridium difficile (C. diff) -associated diarrhea. A single report suggested that treatment with Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Sc), commonly called brewer's yeast (BY), facilitates treatment of persistent C. diff infection."

Coderr

How many grams of brewer's yeast should we use per day for diabetes? On an empty stomach or on a full stomach?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
How many grams of brewer's yeast should we use per day for diabetes? On an empty stomach or on a full stomach?

Here is what Ray Peat said. I will see if I can get anymore specifics….

Rinse & RePeat:
“How would you suggest taking brewer’s yeast for diabetes, as meals on an empty stomach or with food? My dad always gave it to us with a spoonful of raw honey mixed in it, would that be a good addition?”

RAY PEAT:
“I think it’s less likely to cause intestinal problems if a spoonful is added to a cup of hot water and allow to stand until it settles, using only the liquid.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is what Ray Peat said. I will see if I can get anymore specifics….

Rinse & RePeat:
“How would you suggest taking brewer’s yeast for diabetes, as meals on an empty stomach or with food? My dad always gave it to us with a spoonful of raw honey mixed in it, would that be a good addition?”

RAY PEAT:
“I think it’s less likely to cause intestinal problems if a spoonful is added to a cup of hot water and allow to stand until it settles, using only the liquid.”

Rinse & RePeat:
“Did your dad take it as a suppliment or as a meal?”

RAY PEAT:
“It was his only food for a few weeks.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many people with diabetes have used brewer’s yeast and DHEA to improve their sugar metabolism. In diabetes, very little sugar enters the cells, so fatigue is a problem.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
All brewer’s yeasts are not created equal. Check out the differences between these two that I bought for different reasons.

Attachments

• A3A03634-214A-4560-A09D-8325573655F0.jpeg
    A3A03634-214A-4560-A09D-8325573655F0.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 0A62EEEB-D601-4CFC-92ED-1A4F5CB88C46.jpeg
    0A62EEEB-D601-4CFC-92ED-1A4F5CB88C46.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 36
  • 5229FF9B-20B6-4728-9371-7E662F9B6A4A.jpeg
    5229FF9B-20B6-4728-9371-7E662F9B6A4A.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 32
  • 3890AEF4-6DA0-494E-9FD1-7EF60508008D.jpeg
    3890AEF4-6DA0-494E-9FD1-7EF60508008D.jpeg
    480 KB · Views: 36
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome are often deficient in many nutrients, which can worsen symptoms. A nutritional supplement based on brewer’s yeast (Nagipol) improved cognitive function and mood in chronic fatigue syndrome patients. The authors suggested that brewer’s yeast may be a useful treatment for this poorly-understood disorder [37, 38].

Brewer’s yeast contains lithium, an element traditionally used to treat mood disorders. Naturally lithium-rich brewer’s yeast improved mood in former drug users [39].”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Nicotinamide riboside, a form of vitamin B3 found in brewer’s yeast, prevented noise-induced hearing loss in mice. It reduced nerve cell damage caused by noise exposure.”

mm33

Forum Supporter
“Nicotinamide riboside, a form of vitamin B3 found in brewer’s yeast, prevented noise-induced hearing loss in mice. It reduced nerve cell damage caused by noise exposure.”

Thanks R&R that's a great article, very informative. I guess i should add this to my diet! I still haven't gotten the nettle root you recommended for gray hair and my hair's really getting gray so next time at the health food store i'll get both!!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks R&R that's a great article, very informative. I guess i should add this to my diet! I still haven't gotten the nettle root you recommended for gray hair and my hair's really getting gray so next time at the health food store i'll get both!!
Glad it piqued your interest! I haven’t taken brewers yeast for 15+ years until yesterday. It really balanced my blood sugar levels. I only had a half serving yesterday and had a whole serving today. I never realized how much protein is in it, 13 grams for just 2 tablespoons. Find one low in iron like mine. I have another one, I bought for my husband that has 70% of daily iron in 2 tablespoons with 17 grams of protein!

My dad gave me brewer's yeast all throughout my childhood (on popcorn w/ butter, also on toast w/ butter - 2 things i still enjoy to this day! ) and I never got sick as a child and i never get sick as an adult (I think I've been sick about 3-4 times in my life). Then again, correlation does not necessarily equal causation. He also bought raw milk illegally (from his farmer friend) and that was all I drank as a child too...In his many eccentricities I think he made some wise nutrition choices for me as a parent...

I also have no grey hair when all of my friends my age do... but I do take Catalase and SOD and I usually attribute it to that

By the way, nutritional yeast is actually delicious on popcorn or toast with butter (tastes cheesy), and also on over easy eggs. A delicious breakfast: toast with butter and nutritional yeast with eggs over easy, also with nutritional yeast sprinkled on them (and salt). I feel bad for anybody who just drinks it ? Used as a sort of cheese flavoring, it's delicious. I loved it as a child and still do. Then Austin my best friend hates it when I put it on popcorn, so maybe it's an acquired taste? ??‍♀️