Brewers / nutritional yeast allergenic or not?

Motif

Drinking cocoa or eating dark chocolate is hell for me for example and takes long to recover from it and now I’m scared from new stuff.

now I was reading maple syrup is allergenic too, so I will avoid it.

what about yeast? I bet there’s problems with it too.

Drinking cocoa or eating dark chocolate is hell for me for example and takes long to recover from it and now I’m scared from new stuff.

The yeast in brewers yeast is not activated. It does have a lot of stuff that can do a body good if you can get it in and keep things calm. Take an anti-histamine the first time with it and see how it goes. As you heal and calm things down, I would mix the brewers yeast in the water with some sugar when drinking it, and chase it with some caffeine. I am pretty positive you have histamine tolerance. If so sugar, salt and caffeine are your best friends. I have it worse than you, but you wouldn't know it know, as I am healthier than anyone I know now. Food pairing is important in the "Peat" world, and more so with histamine Intolerance. I grew up as a child drinking brewers yeast everyday and my dad swears it saved my life. ?

OP
M

Motif

The yeast in brewers yeast is not activated. It does have a lot of stuff that can do a body good if you can get it in and keep things calm. Take an anti-histamine the first time with it and see how it goes. As you heal and calm things down, I would mix the brewers yeast in the water with some sugar when drinking it, and chase it with some caffeine. I am pretty positive you have histamine tolerance. If so sugar, salt and caffeine are your best friends. I have it worse than you, but you wouldn't know it know, as I am healthier than anyone I know now. Food pairing is important in the "Peat" world, and more so with histamine Intolerance. I grew up as a child drinking brewers yeast everyday and my dad swears it saved my life. ?
Histamine issues are a sure thing for me.

Bluebell

wow @Rinse & rePeat, do you really stop histamine issues this way, can you speak a bit more about how you do that, and how bad your histamine intolerance was before?
Just caffeine (as coffee?), sugar, and salt, and you can eat histamine inducing foods?
I would love to be able to do that. I do get histamine issues with various foods and drinks, such as chocolate, nutritional yeast, acidic food/drink etc.

wow @Rinse & rePeat, do you really stop histamine issues this way, can you speak a bit more about how you do that, and how bad your histamine intolerance was before?
Just caffeine (as coffee?), sugar, and salt, and you can eat histamine inducing foods?
I would love to be able to do that. I do get histamine issues with various foods and drinks, such as chocolate, nutritional yeast, acidic food/drink etc.
I have been dealing histamine intolerance for at least 7 years, since discovering the term. I could write a book on it. It wasn't until reading a Ray Peat paper, stating that sugar, salt and caffeine are antihistamines, and Mexican Coke even more so, that I could finally get off the constant Claratin. In Ray Peat's words, spikenband written, he talks of a study that was done and resulted in a bold statement that Coke (guzzled) is more effective than the Epi-Pen! Including a couple of those items, sugar, salt, caffeine, or Coke, throughout my day, pairing it with high histamine foods has unlocked the door to beingvable to eat anything without a problem! Most importantly though is to keep that imaginary histamine "bucket" inside yourself from spilling over into symptoms. So though I indulge in anything i care to, I am mindful not to push my luck either, filling my "bucket" up with TOO many high histamine foods. I strategize my day having high histamine oranges and gelatin by puting sugar and salt in it, rather than having it alone in water, which gave me an instant flush and 'off" feeling. I have caffeine with ground beef as an antihistamine as well as blocking iron and make custard which has sugar, salt and minus the high histamine egg whites, etc. As far as how bad mine was, I experienced angioedema in my sleep with my face and lips tripled in size and my tongue swollen outside my mouth and unable put it back in, sometimes nonstop vomiting out of the blue without any nausea or stomach trouble (that happened twice from restaurant alfredo sauce), a variety of rashes, lots of puffy eyes, sinus trouble, migraines, insomnia, and the list goes on. Please pick my brain anytime on the subject because it is a complicated issue with simple solutions ?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgrxfB9zjf0

Bluebell

Thank you SO much, this is really inspiring. Many Peaty foods I would like to eat, such as liver, canned oysters, more than a little orange juice, gelatin/collagen, I can't. As well as many other foods and supplements.
My histamine issues are such that I feel really ill, flu-ish, rotten, light headed, nerve pain, headache, tingly, a bit nauseous, aching all over - but I don't get any of the skin issues like rash or swelling and no runny nose. I sneeze a little bit and get sore eyes.
I might well take you up on the brain picking offer!

Last edited:
Thank you SO much, this is really inspiring. Many Peaty foods I would like to eat, such as liver, canned oysters, more than a little orange juices, gelatin/collagen, I can't. As well as many other foods and supplements.
My histamine issues are such that I feel really ill, flu-ish, rotten, light headed, nerve pain, headache, tingly, a bit nauseous, aching all over - but I don't get any of the skin issues like rash or swelling and no runny nose. I sneeze a little bit and get sore eyes.
I might well take you up on the brain picking offer!
Knowing my situation is inspiring to you really makes smile. It is a dirty snowball effect, those histamines, that when you just address one issue at a time other things start falling into place. I do recommend first and foremost to get toothpaste out your life. I never had a problem with it, but when histamine intolerance reared it's ugly head, those rashes and angiodema told me alot of what my body didn't like, and toothpaste of any kind was one of them. I now use coconut oil to brush my teeth, with baking soda on occssion. It takes a little getting use to, but you do. Flouride is another bad one and very hard to get out of our water without removing all the minerals. It is so wearing on our bodies. I got myself a Propur gravity filter, and even make ice with it. Restaurants are the worst, so use salt, sugar and Coke liberally. No large meals for awhile either. The very act of digestion raises histamines, so I enjoy everything I want in smaller portions. Don't view histamines as bad, they are actually a huge part of our immune system. Although you get a lot of weird stuff don't you notice you never catch what's going around? We just are getting TOO MUCH of a good thing. With that being said I eat a lot now, with no fear of food anymore. Baby steps, you'll get there ?

Bluebell

Thank you this is so helpful. I don't have fluoride in the water here, but do use it in toothpaste. I coconut oil pull which helps me. Eating in smaller portions is something I've started doing only in the past few weeks, for other reasons, but I was wondering about if that would be good for damping down histamine. I've also been having a good chunk of time between meals on just water which helps I think, just having a rest from digestion. So I'll definitely keep going with the small meals.
I have been relying on avoiding many foods and activites to keep the histamine down and feel OK, which is just not ideal for living a normal life.
I find that I get a histamine reaction to every single cold/flu going around, and I get that histamine reaction before I even know I have got the cold/flu, like 3 days before the cold/flu symptoms come up. The actual cold/flu itself is nothing in terms of pain compared to the histamine reaction. I like your idea of not viewing histamines as bad.
Do you have a view on the root cause of histamine intolerance for you? I've heard many theories like gut microflora imbalance, hormones, lack of DAO, lack of b6/copper etc, Would be great to fix what is causing all this.

Thank you this is so helpful. I don't have fluoride in the water here, but do use it in toothpaste. I coconut oil pull which helps me. Eating in smaller portions is something I've started doing only in the past few weeks, for other reasons, but I was wondering about if that would be good for damping down histamine. I've also been having a good chunk of time between meals on just water which helps I think, just having a rest from dige8stion. So I'll definitely keep going with the small meals.
I have been relying on avoiding many foods and activites to keep the histamine down and feel OK, which is just not ideal for living a normal life.
I find that I get a histamine reaction to every single cold/flu going around, and I get that histamine reaction before I even know I have got the cold/flu, like 3 days before the cold/flu symptoms come up. The actual cold/flu itself is nothing in terms of pain compared to the histamine reaction. I like your idea of not viewing histamines as bad.
Do you have a view on the root cause of histamine intolerance for you? I've heard many theories like gut microflora imbalance, hormones, lack of DAO, lack of b6/copper etc, Would be great to fix what is causing all this.
Oh gosh mine could be a number of things. Mom took DES pregnant with me, to prevent another miscarriage, which turned out to me whole hot mess they created over 20 years, with repercussions for generations. It could be many other reason, or an accumulation of several things coming together to create a perfect storm. Maybe we will never know, but thankfully we were designed to self regulate and repair, if given the right tools. Although the "why" would be nice to know, the "what" "when" and "how" is my focus. What to do now, when is the best time to eat this or that, and how much. I can tell you suppliments have not been a big part of getting mine under control. Yes at first they can, but inevitably it backfired in some way or another. Nettle was probably the best of them, making a good antihistamine. I gave it up though because I didn't need it anymore, it darkened my hair too much and it is estrogenic. You are on the right track with small meals. The very act of digestion raises histamines, which are necessary to accomplish the task. Being full is the worst for histamines and the harder it is to digest and longer it takes to do just keeps the histamines coming! I have cut out unnecessary liquids, as they dilute digestive juices which in turn leave things sitting too long. I don't know if I will ever get to drinking all the milk and orange juice Ray Peat does, or even if i want to, as I like variety too much. I am grateful for his sugar, salt, caffeine & Coke ammo, so I can enjoy a glass or two of milk (sugar and salted mmmm) and strained orange juice with my sugar (and now raw honey), salt. I am gonna trying adding in a little mct oil to it, making more of a mini meal out of it and see how it feels. Food logging gave me so many answers, including EMF's being a problem as well as furniture and fabrics with all of their formaldehydes, anti-caking and mold chemicals and too many other poisons to mention, which leach into your skin. Both of the latter, both I suspect might by part of your pain and nerve stuff. Don't assume that all that you have going on is all gonna fit nicely under one umbrella. Some of us are just very in tune to our environment, like me, and sounds like you too! It is the difference between suffering now with the reward later or have it all now and suffer the consequences. I am finally reaping my rewards and am confident mine will be a happier ending.

Hgreen56

I am pretty positive you have histamine tolerance.
How do you know he has a histamine tolerance...
he only saying "Drinking cocoa or eating dark chocolate is hell "
Thats says nothing.. can be thousands of things.

Ts: Go to your doc and let your tested.
If you really have histamine tolerance, than you must stop peating.
Rp foods like Orange juice, dairy, saturated fat and supps like niacinamide, thiamin etc are all high histamine sourches or liberators .

It does have a lot of stuff that can do a body good

nope. yeast is high estrogenic.
It also contains gluten.

Last edited:

Ts: Go to your doc and let your t

Because we have been talking on other threads and there are other foods and issues disclosed. The question wasn't, as you implied, if yeast is estrogenic and I didn't say it wasn't. We have been taking on other thread and as you should reread, I was talking to Motif AGAIN, about BREWER'S YEAST not bakers yeast.

cocoa or dark chocolate contains caffeine.
So if it is really a histamine tolerance than the symptoms must be very low, but it isn't.
As Moif and have discussed oxalates too, yes cocoa and dark chocolate are very high in histamine
Yes Brewers yeast:
What are you even talking about? We aren't discussing estrogens or gluten? If we were I am sure your input would be valuable. We have been discussing histamines and oxalates on other threads. Chocolate has caffeine, but is too high in oxalates and histamines to be of any help to lower histamines. If you must know, on another thread between us, I quoted Ray Peat's recommendation on another thread where he said that good things for lowering histamines are caffeine, sugar, salt and mexican coke, and attached an interview clip of him saying so. So you need to put your dog in another fight.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-180719_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-180719_Samsung Internet.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 25
OP
M

Motif

Ts: Go to your doc and let your tested.
If you really have histamine tolerance, than you must stop peating.
Rp foods like Orange juice, dairy, saturated fat and supps like niacinamide, thiamin etc are all high histamine sourches or liberators .

It also contains gluten.
Tested for what ?
I got tested positive for Gilbert syndrome.
Copper and zinc deficiency. And ceruloplasmin.
and Pyroluria, but I have no idea how reliable this is.

Bluebell

Yes, so true, it would be great if it all came down to one root cause, but of course things are rarely that simple. I wonder if high dose vitamin D, which I took for a while, was not good for me, and could have created some histamine issues. I've read of a few other people suspecting the same. Small meals are working out well for me, and I agree too about watching the liquids. I'm been waiting about 2 hours after eating, then drinking only what I'm thirsty for. Great that the caffeine/sugar/salt combo is working so well for you, I'm inspired to try it with foods I might react to.

Yes, so true, it would be great if it all came down to one root cause, but of course things are rarely that simple. I wonder if high dose vitamin D, which I took for a while, was not good for me, and could have created some histamine issues. I've read of a few other people suspecting the same. Small meals are working out well for me, and I agree too about watching the liquids. I'm been waiting about 2 hours after eating, then drinking only what I'm thirsty for. Great that the caffeine/sugar/salt combo is working so well for you, I'm inspired to try it with foods I might react to.
I think any suppliment used on a daily basis can cause other imbalances, so I dwindled my use of them down to nothing a year or so ago. One of my girlfriend's has histamine intolerance really bad. She didn't even know she had it until we started talking again last year. She couldn't eat many foods and now is drinking tons of raw goat milk, kefir and cheese, raw acacia honeycomb (like me) and other foods she hasn't been able to eat without reacting violently, getting stomach cramping, diarrhea, hives and such. She just thought she had Crohn's disease and allergies to those foods. She said to me recently that this is the best she has felt in her life, and so shocked about the honey not giving her the usual issues. The more she gets in all that good stuff the more healing she gets. She found these grass fed kidney capsules and says they have been work wonders, ushering her through eating some of her offenders in the beginning until she acclimated to them. I haven't read up much on them or had a need to try them yet, but it might help usher you, and Motif, through some of your scary foods until your body acclimates and heals. She takes 2 to 4 of them just before a meal to provide the DAO that is lacking and needed for digestion. She says it is one of the rare things that provides DAO naturally.

Attachments

• 20210425_111955.jpg
    20210425_111955.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 3

Bluebell

That's so great you were able to help your girlfriend. What has she changed apart from adding raw goat milk, kefir, and raw acacia comb (sounds yum)?

Thank you for mentioning those raw kidney capsules, I read reviews on amazon for them before and they have helped so many people. I have in the past tried nutricology kidney gland, and I got a reaction to it (body pain, malaise), I'm guessing due to the high histamine content of dried organ extracts. I was surprised that such a tiny amount had that effect on me. I also tried the DAO capsules (both the pork-derived one, and the bean-derived one), and both made me feel sick. So that made me think that lack of DAO is not a thing for me. Still I am interested to see if it is a better formulation, so in the future if I can tolerate dried glands again I might try it for general benefits.

I'm staying off most supplements too, there are just a few that I take sometimes. Have you ever tried histidine as a supplement? I have not tried it. It can convert to histamine of course, which is why I'm wary of trying it, but there are some interesting testimonials on the net for histidine for food allergy or histamine issues, for example: L- HISTIDINE FOR ALLEGIES

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals