Breath Test H. Pylori Safety

2manybugs

I'm about to do a 14C breath test for h. pylori infection, because i feel that the endoscopy is a bit too much and i've read that I need to swallow a radioactive carbon isotope, which suppose to be harmless. Is anyone familiar with the test and the safeness of the radioactive carbon or I should consider and alternative?

I don't know anything about the 14C breath test, is that the one that tests for urease?

I also completely agree that endoscopy is far too invasive (having refused one myself). H pylori is difficult to eradicate in some people due to biofilm formation and length of time being infected. The biofilm needs to be dissolved/interrupted for treatment to be successful.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think @sunmountain might have had this test? I'm not 100% certain because she may have had an endoscopy but perhaps you could search her log or send her a message. I do remember she was treated for h.pylori though.

sunmountain

Hi, I did have H. Pylori and was treated for it successfully. I have no idea how long I had it. I had an endoscopy. Many months later, I wanted to double check if I still had it, and looked up the radioactive breath test, and did not want to do that. For me, personally, I'd rather have the endoscopy than the radioactive.

I should mention that after the endoscopy I got acid reflux for the first time in my life. I don't remember what I did to manage it (it may be in my log), but the reflux is not there any more.

I think both tests have downsides, so it may come down to what you or your doc are comfortable with.

I believe that if you swallow a good tablespoon of honey on an empty stomach and don't eat for an hour, in a week or so your H. Pylori will be fine and you won't have a problem. I think the honey kills the bacteria and is completely harmless.

tara

I believe that if you swallow a good tablespoon of honey on an empty stomach and don't eat for an hour, in a week or so your H. Pylori will be fine and you won't have a problem. I think the honey kills the bacteria and is completely harmless.
No guarantees, but for this purpose I'd consider trying manuka honey.

michael94

Hi, I did have H. Pylori and was treated for it successfully. I have no idea how long I had it. I had an endoscopy. Many months later, I wanted to double check if I still had it, and looked up the radioactive breath test, and did not want to do that. For me, personally, I'd rather have the endoscopy than the radioactive.

I should mention that after the endoscopy I got acid reflux for the first time in my life. I don't remember what I did to manage it (it may be in my log), but the reflux is not there any more.

I think both tests have downsides, so it may come down to what you or your doc are comfortable with.

What did you use for it? antibiotics?

Can't stool tests check for h pylori by the way?

sunmountain

Yes, triple therapy antibiotics, which has 2 antibiotics and a PPI, for about 2 weeks. It was successful.

Stool tests are not reliable if you're checking the first time. It can be used after therapy to see if they're dead. I did a stool test after a month, and it was negative.

OP

2manybugs

I did a blood AB test which the doc said is a reliable for a person which hadn't been treated with antibiotics for h. pylori and turned out negative, thanks for all responses.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals