Breakthrough: Vitamin E Causes Hair Loss

tankasnowgod

My experimentation is that every time I apply some mixed tocopherols (thorne brand, ultimate-e) topically to my thighs, my head hairline recedes visibly by the next day.

Really?

That must be some insane amount of hair you find on your pillow the next morning.

Visibly would have to be about 3-4 mm, right? Meaning that about a month of daily Vitamin E supplementation would be enough for one to go totally bald.

GenericName86

Appreciate you following up with a more detailed explanation OP. I can only add my own experience and others that I've read that haven't had any hair loss from Vit E. I haven't tried ultimate-e though. Regarding K2 I have seen one or two people report hair issues around the time with mk4 k2 but I don't know if it was actually shown to be the mk4 that was doing it or something else.

Noticing your hairline receding the very next day, if it actually indeed is and not just in your mind, From vitamin E is alarming. I don't know what to make of that. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can interpret it.

tankasnowgod

Noticing your hairline receding the very next day, if it actually indeed is and not just in your mind, From vitamin E is alarming. I don't know what to make of that. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can interpret it.

I don't believe it's possible. I have taken anywhere from 400-1500 IU of E a day, often for months at a time, and never noticed any effect on hairline. I have even applied about 300 IU of E directly to my head (which is fully covered in hair), and never noticed anything.

It would absolutely be alarming if something like Vitamin E caused noticeable hairloss within 24 hours, but if that's the case, wouldn't it be common knowledge at this point? Vitamin E supplements have been very popular for several decades.

OP
B

BehcetsBoy

Really?

That must be some insane amount of hair you find on your pillow the next morning.

Visibly would have to be about 3-4 mm, right? Meaning that about a month of daily Vitamin E supplementation would be enough for one to go totally bald.

Yes, visibly the next day. I can literally see the patches (albeit very small patches) of my scalp that had hair the day before which don't have hair anymore.

tankasnowgod

Yes, visibly the next day. I can literally see the patches (albeit very small patches) of my scalp that had hair the day before which don't have hair anymore.

This is crazy if true. I have never heard of Vitamin E having this effect in anyone before. Can you take some before and after pictures?

JKX

The vitamin e you are using comes from soy. Regardless of how good the molecular distillation is I'd pass. Have you tried a different brand which is not from soy?

You've also posted k2 caused you problems in another thread. Thats probably just a dose issue. You could try a lower dose and ensure the supplements are as clean as possible if you must use them.

I would doubt your hairline is visibly receding over 24 hours. It may be the supplement is affecting muscle tonus in the scalp perhaps giving this appearance?

dannibo

I have done a lot of experimentation over the past couple years and through it all I've realized that vitamin E is a major source of hairloss.

It would also explain why pufas are bad. It's not because of the pufas themselves, it's because they often have a ton of vitamin E.
What kind of pufas? Are you talking about as all sold in supermarkets are adulterated and can and will kill anyone.

pauljacob

The objective of OP is to get everyone's underwear in a bunch -- and he succeeded o_O

RealNeat

My experimentation is that every time I apply some mixed tocopherols (thorne brand, ultimate-e) topically to my thighs, my head hairline recedes visibly by the next day.

I believe this hairloss is also made much worse by all the vitamin K2/d3 I took for about a year which gave me crazy high testosterone BUT I don't actually lose any hair until I apply vitamin E (even the tiniest 10mg amount) even though I stopped taking the vitamin K2/d3 5 months ago (but I still have really high testosterone which is slowly coming down now).

If I don't apply any vitamin E then my hairline does not seem to recede one bit.

So my conclusion is a high level of testosterone plus vitamin E causes severe hairloss.
I'm seeing no mention of the doses you are using. Ray often suggests 20% of what's applied topically is absorbed depending on rubbing, other ingredients etc... are you sure you don't do other things that can have such a quick effect on hair (I'm not aware of such a thing besides radiation and obviously burning) the days you use the Vit E? Pictures would be good proof with time stamps. Keep a log make sure it's not something else.

ljihkugft7

I have done a lot of experimentation over the past couple years and through it all I've realized that vitamin E is a major source of hairloss.

It would also explain why pufas are bad. It's not because of the pufas themselves, it's because they often have a ton of vitamin E.
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this...but, I recall reading somewhere that vitamin e increases your metabolism, so it increases your nutritional requirements...and if you do not adjust your lifestyle to meet your metabolisms new higher requirements it will start eating your “tissue” (haha, don’t remember the correct term).

not sure if I’m remembering correctly haha but it’s always stuck in my head that if I take high dose vitamin E then I need to be super vigilant that I’m up to scratch with my protein/carbs/nutrients.

...and if I experience problems from vit E it usually means that I am not providing my body with enough “stuff” to meet the level of metabolism I am stimulating. I think this could be stressful on the body and it would most likely refocus on essentials for life and drop the luxuries such as hair.

disclaimer: these are just my assumptions and random brain connections, they may be wrong af

CreakyJoints

It was my understanding (I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that Peat generally recommended it as a protective measure if one had recently consumed lots of polyunsaturates, and he cautioned against using it in excess. In fact, did he not have some issues with wheat germ oil himself?

Do you still suffer from those issues when you have excessive dietary vitamin E intake rather than through any kind of supplementation?

But where is the hair now? If this is true at all, then it comes from the fact that VE is food and should be swallowed, maybe the slimy consistency of the material causes damage, but again, where is your hair.

pauljacob

This is not a snide remark, but vitamin E (or maybe other things you ate) may have improved your eyesight and you saw patches that were already there.

Daniil

I have a theory that tocotrienols are highly toxic. These are forms of vitamin E and are unsaturated, so they can be oxidized to aldehydes. Ray Peet previously spoke negatively about them and said that they are in products with mixed tocopherols, but are not listed on the label. Also in some additives with synthetic alpha-tocopherol added dye "Annatto", which contains an insane amount of tocotrienols. I think everyone should avoid this as well as PUFA.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals