Breaking A Fast/Everything Is Problematic

ursidae

What is an appropriate food to break a fast with? It’s not going to be a long one (3 days)

OP
U

ursidae

Thanks, broth was something I was considering. I‘m hoping to start having cravings for specific foods by the end of it. I stopped having those and I think constantly reading dietary advice is part of why that happened

T

TheBeard

Raw eggs, raw meat, raw milk.

Easy to digest foods, NO FIBER.

lvysaur

coconut water is the best "fast breaking" thing IME

if I haven't eaten anything for a while, but I don't feel very hungry, I just drink coconut water. The hunger comes later on.

Jessie

Something that inhibits FAO quickly would be the best imo. We're talking sugar, fruits, dried fruit, sweet milk, juice, coke, white rice, well cooked potatoes, etc. Salt and calcium is going to be important as well.

Based Kantian

Why are you fasting in the first place? Unless it's absolutely necessary for a surgery or similar, I don't think there's any good reason for going more than 8 or 9 hours without having some sugar and protein.

OP
U

ursidae

Why are you fasting in the first place? Unless it's absolutely necessary for a surgery or similar, I don't think there's any good reason for going more than 8 or 9 hours without having some sugar and protein.
I want to give my digestion a break
My crohns location pain is coming back, new sharp pains to the left of my navel (pancreas?), stopped my meds as my liver enzymes have doubled (ASAT is 40), everything I eat including meat is making my cystic acne and mental health worse. I stopped feeling suicidal 15 hours in

Based Kantian

I want to give my digestion a break
My crohns location pain is coming back, new sharp pains to the left of my navel (pancreas?), stopped my meds as my liver enzymes have doubled (ASAT is 40), everything I eat including meat is making my cystic acne and mental health worse. I stopped feeling suicidal 15 hours in
It should be no surprise that meat makes your digestive problems worse. It's a very stressful thin to digest. What about jello, icecream, bone broth? Bone broth is the minimum thing that you should be eating, since it is very digestible and contains many nutrients that can counteract the stress of your self imposed starvation. Mental problems related to digestion are mediated by serotonin and endotoxin. It's important to read Dr. Peat's articles on those topics. Natural factors that can powerfully counteract serotonin include glycine/gelatin, bright redish light, thyroid, progesterone, magnesium, thiamine, and avoiding foods high in tryptophan. There are also some powerful antiseritoninergic drugs like cyproheptadine that are worth trying if you can get a prescription. As for endotoxin, the most important thing is avoiding starch and fermentable fiber. If bacterial overgrowth is suspected as a cause of excess endotoxin, which seems likely, you should take a course of antibiotics. Raw carrots, well cooked mushrooms, bamboo shoots, activated charcoal, and aspirin, are all also somewhat effective at controlling gut bacteria and therefore endotoxin.
If you haven't already, try 10% sulfur soap on your acne.

OP
U

ursidae

No raw foods just no. I’m in this mess after a 15 day antibiotic course in august followed by another 15 day antibiotic course this month. If I can get hold of the ridiculously expensive colostrum stuff I’m gonna give it a try

T

TheBeard

If I can get hold of the ridiculously expensive colostrum stuff I’m gonna give it a try

What do you expect from it?

I've taken high quality colostrum for a year straight, never made a single difference in my gut health.

Raw colostrum straight from the cow is the only thing that might bring the improvement you're looking for.

Dante1000

What do you expect from it?

I've taken high quality colostrum for a year straight, never made a single difference in my gut health.

Raw colostrum straight from the cow is the only thing that might bring the improvement you're looking for.
Totally agree. I took expensive high quality powdered colostrum without ANY benefits.

Maljam

No raw foods just no. I’m in this mess after a 15 day antibiotic course in august followed by another 15 day antibiotic course this month. If I can get hold of the ridiculously expensive colostrum stuff I’m gonna give it a try

It can take months to recover your gut health after antibiotics use. Following the max dose of IV antibiotics for several days followed by max dose oral for a couple of weeks, my gut was a mess. Taking s boulardii calmed things down, there are some good studies showing boulardii reducing the chance of post antibiotic diarrhea. At much as you wont want to hear it, a lot of it is just time. You may need to eat a very bland and repetitive diet for a while as things settle. It took me about 6 months before my gut felt what it was before. Extreme experiments aren't going to help and may hurt you IMO.

OP
U

ursidae

I take s boulardii
Yeah I realise that, but having sharp pains in different locations whenever food passes through me makes me think I need to back off as it’s clearly causing damage

Maljam

I take s boulardii
Yeah I realise that, but having sharp pains in different locations whenever food passes through me makes me think I need to back off as it’s clearly causing damage

Not necessarily any damage being caused, your gut is just in haywire. The body needs energy to heal, a fast may help with your pains, but I would worry there was no actual healing going on if I wasn't eating any food. Hope you feel better soon I know how awful it feels.