Bread, Milk And Sugar- The Cure For A Bad Bowel

InChristAlone

I find it incredible he lived for so with the disease! and what was in the stale bread that worked?

tara

Bread pudding used to be a thing her. Not so common now. Left-over bread (optionally buttered), milk, jam and/or raisins, sugar, maybe baked in the oven.
I've heard before that older bread can be easier to digest than fresh, and that stale bread can sometimes settle a troubled gut. Got to keep the bread in a fairly dry place for it to go stale rather than mouldy, though.

Used to be, parents would not allow their children to eat fresh bread. It had to be at least a day old before they were allowed to eat it. I've read this in older novels from the 1800's. If you look at Sue Becker's website, you will find that she shares information about grains, wheat in particular, that goes against all the current grain fears. She, like peat, studies things deeply from scientific sources. She isn't a blogger quoting a blogger quoting a blogger. It has a lot to do with making bread with freshly ground grain, within a very short time of grinding it. You can Google her name and wheat belly and you will get a great article detailing her thoughts.

OP
E

EIRE24

Used to be, parents would not allow their children to eat fresh bread. It had to be at least a day old before they were allowed to eat it. I've read this in older novels from the 1800's. If you look at Sue Becker's website, you will find that she shares information about grains, wheat in particular, that goes against all the current grain fears. She, like peat, studies things deeply from scientific sources. She isn't a blogger quoting a blogger quoting a blogger. It has a lot to do with making bread with freshly ground grain, within a very short time of grinding it. You can Google her name and wheat belly and you will get a great article detailing her thoughts.
I must do that. I understand that all the food we get now days is far removed from what they used to get way back in olden times. Sugar is about the only thing that is still the same. All bread these days is fortified with all kinds of ***t.

tara

Sugar is about the only thing that is still the same.
Refined sucrose has only been widely available in fairly recent times.

tara

Surely sorts of sugar has been around for years?
Well yes, sugar in natural forms like fruit and honey has been around as long as humans have been. I guess it depends what you mean by olden times (certainly it's been around for 'years', but so have I), and how you interpret refined (refined sucrose is quite different than the nutritional package that is sugar cane juice, or jaggary or mollasses). Refined sucrose was widely available well before refined seed oils, but not long in evolutionary terms.

Sugar cane was discovered around 500BC. Refined sugar was been around for a long time.
Oops, anglo/euro-centricism on my part revealed.

Yes, Sugar cane and it's juice have probably been used in parts of India a least for about 2000 years. Possibly even earlier in parts of Polynesia. Raw sugar crystals in India ~500 BCE (khanda ->candy). Refining to white granulated crystals took longer.
It was an expensive luxury in Europe and England until ~18th century, treated as a fine spice rather than a source of significant energy.

"Only after the Crusades did it begin to rival honey as a sweetener in Europe. The Spanish began cultivating sugarcane in the West Indies in 1506 (Cuba in 1523). The Portuguese first cultivated sugarcane in Brazil in 1532."

"Sugar remained a luxury in much of the world until the 18th century. Only the wealthy could afford it. In the 18th century, the demand for table sugar boomed in Europe and by the 19th century it had become regarded as a human necessity." Sucrose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jayfish

It would have been an interesting diet to never really eat sugar. When you read historical accounts of like viking diets it's just a ton of fish, boar, sheep, bread, greens, cheese and beer/mead. Although since they did keep bees in those times, honey sugar must have been somewhat available even if most was used for fermentation.

tara

It would have been an interesting diet to never really eat sugar. When you read historical accounts of like viking diets it's just a ton of fish, boar, sheep, bread, greens, cheese and beer/mead. Although since they did keep bees in those times, honey sugar must have been somewhat available even if most was used for fermentation.
Maybe with a smattering of fruit in season - eg apples, berries.

Anyone having good long term success with this idea?

What are you doing to prepare the bread?

How is it helping?

DaveFoster

I'd also like to hear more about experiences with bread. I seem to tolerate it much better than even rice (potatoes and other grains are hopeless); however, it could be the opioid-like peptides that are causing the feeling of well-being. Wheat also tends to constipate.