Brands Of Gelatin: Newbie Question

DesertRat

I read several older discussions on gelatin, discovered everyone likes Great Lakes and most think the bulk is similar, but while I wait for it to arrive in the mail, I need to get something local and no one in the area sells Great Lakes brand.

Does anyone know if the NOW brand, which I can get at the local HF store, is free of estrogens, GMOs and all that bad stuff in factory-farmed animals? I usually go for grass-fed and if unavailable, settle for organic. NOW makes no claims on their package.

As far as Great Lakes stuff goes, is the only difference between the red and the green the fact that the green can be used without heating the water? I am mostly making jello concoctions to eat as snacks since I do a lot of bone broth already.

J

j.

Water from plastic containers is estrogenic, I don't know if that applies to gelatin. Now Foods gelatin comes in a plastic container in some sizes.

aguilaroja

Gelatin is the protein in connective tissue (collagen). It is a processed product so there is some separation/'purification' from waste products. Since it has no fats, there is no concern about PUFA in it. Since many hormones and toxins accumulate in the fatty tissue, gelatin is less contaminated in that way.

While it's always best to get the safest sources, decent quality gelatin has restorative factors. I'd suggest being at ease and use the Now brand if you prefer not to wait, unless you notice a particular reaction. It is difficult to find organic, grass fed, local gelatin. Both brands you mentioned have helped folks.

One moderator here also hosts a site which less clean supplement sources:

http://www.toxinless.com/collagen

If assured very safe sources are wanted, oxtail and ruminant bone broths from artisan farms & ranches are a clearer choice. It is more time consuming, though the "slow food" lifestyle has its charms.

Ideonaut

I read several older discussions on gelatin, discovered everyone likes Great Lakes and most think the bulk is similar, but while I wait for it to arrive in the mail, I need to get something local and no one in the area sells Great Lakes brand.

Does anyone know if the NOW brand, which I can get at the local HF store, is free of estrogens, GMOs and all that bad stuff in factory-farmed animals? I usually go for grass-fed and if unavailable, settle for organic. NOW makes no claims on their package.

As far as Great Lakes stuff goes, is the only difference between the red and the green the fact that the green can be used without heating the water? I am mostly making jello concoctions to eat as snacks since I do a lot of bone broth already.
Having just read this

http://www.globalresearch.ca/top-ei...ed-nearly-everywhere-except-in-the-us/5607985
3. Gelatin: Reduced animal parts you would never eat, if you only knew

Did you know that Starburst candy in America contains gelatin, but not the ones sold in other countries? That’s because gelatin is banned nearly everywhere else in the world. Why? Gelatin is made from the body parts of infected and drugged animals that aren’t used for fast food, like muscles, hooves, feet, hides and connective tissues. It’s all boiled down (reduced), loaded with sugar and food coloring, and sold to our children as candy. Other countries ban gelatin, knowing how toxic it can be for humans to consume, but not America! You would not believe how many foods and candies contain gelatin. Avoid marshmallows, gel capsule vitamins, fruit snacks, Jello, gummy worms, gummy bears, gummy “cola” candy, and often sour cream and cake frosting.

I will be more likely to pay a little more to get Great Lakes gelatin on the chance that it will be more likely to be wholesome.

squanch

Did you know that Starburst candy in America contains gelatin, but not the ones sold in other countries? That’s because gelatin is banned nearly everywhere else in the world. Why? Gelatin is made from the body parts of infected and drugged animals that aren’t used for fast food, like muscles, hooves, feet, hides and connective tissues. It’s all boiled down (reduced), loaded with sugar and food coloring, and sold to our children as candy. Other countries ban gelatin, knowing how toxic it can be for humans to consume, but not America! You would not believe how many foods and candies contain gelatin. Avoid marshmallows, gel capsule vitamins, fruit snacks, Jello, gummy worms, gummy bears, gummy “cola” candy, and often sour cream and cake frosting.
Haha, what?! I'm not aware of a single country in the world that "bans gelatin". Also no first world country will make any kind of food products from "infected and drugged animals".

I personally use porcine gelatin, not bovine. The process to manufacture it is a lot faster and from my limited understanding just seems cleaner.
Making gelatin from bovine sources takes several weeks of soaking the raw material in alkaline/acidic solutions, for pig skin gelatin it's a few days.
The beef gelatin that I bought in the past was also always darker in color than the pig skin gelatin.

A lot of people seem to be on the grass fed beef paleo hype train though and just blindly avoid anything that's pork.

Last edited:

milk_lover

I am so jealous of people who can tolerate gelatin and glycine :(

Different brands of gelatin and different brands of pure glycine all give me symptoms. What gives? Maybe my body doesn't need glycine...

Mage

Anyone concerned about BSE, lead and glyphosate in their gelatin if it's not great lakes?

I don't know if the potential ingestion of contaminants is worth the glycine..

@milk_lover Have you tried hydrolised collagen?

Queequeg

Damn I just bought a big bag of Argentine gelatin

Stephanie Seneff, prominent glyphosate researcher says that glyphosate can replace glycine in proteins and often ends up in the collagen. Also I have been reading about high chromium content as well from leather tanning waste. I would love to see some lab reports on this stuff
http://www.greenpasture.org/documentFiles/203.pdf

johnwester130

I am so jealous of people who can tolerate gelatin and glycine :(

Different brands of gelatin and different brands of pure glycine all give me symptoms. What gives? Maybe my body doesn't need glycine...

I quit gelatin and never felt better, body temperature INCREASED substantially

Glycine powder also causes me great harm, so it's not the endotoxin in gelatin

johnsmith

Really? I've never heard of negative effects of gelatin. Could you explain?

After reading what @aguilaroja said above, I down graded my gelatin source and get it from Bulk Barn now.

milk_lover

Anyone concerned about BSE, lead and glyphosate in their gelatin if it's not great lakes?

I don't know if the potential ingestion of contaminants is worth the glycine..

@milk_lover Have you tried hydrolised collagen?
I tried it but I didn't like it.

Never has glycine decreased my temperature, on the contrary actually. But sometimes I have difficulty digesting it.

yerrag

I tried it but I didn't like it.

Never has glycine decreased my temperature, on the contrary actually. But sometimes I have difficulty digesting it.
How are you taking gelatin and glycine?

milk_lover

How are you taking gelatin and glycine?
I stopped taking gelatin long time ago.. Now some days, I take 2g glycine with my lunch and dinner with a lot of Coke. I seem to digest it well with heavy meals. I especially take glycine with me when I know I will be eating steak or go to a Brazilian style meat place.. I experimented taking it along with coke/pepsi and it seems to be less optimal digestion wise compared to taking it along with a heavy meal.

yerrag

I stopped taking gelatin long time ago.. Now some days, I take 2g glycine with my lunch and dinner with a lot of Coke. I seem to digest it well with heavy meals. I especially take glycine with me when I know I will be eating steak or go to a Brazilian style meat place.. I experimented taking it along with coke/pepsi and it seems to be less optimal digestion wise compared to taking it along with a heavy meal.
I haven't used glycine but use gelatin and collagen hydrolysate. Gelatin usually as a jello with fruit cocktail. And collagen mixed with milk. But your experience with glycine makes sense. With a heavy meal, especially with steak or in a brazilian churrascuria, the glycine portion of your total amino acid or protein intake makes it tolerable, while with Coke, the glycine portion is 100% of your protein intake.

If you also eat lamb, lamb has higher glycine portion than beef has. So taking glycine with lamb could possibly give you more digestive discomfort than taking it with beef.

I still prefer taking gelatin over glycine since gelatin is something the body is used to digesting. I've always had my gelatin as a jello with fruit cocktail and its syrup. Since it has protein and sugar, it goes well together. On the other hand, I have found myself getting hungry at night when I had milk with collagen, and sugar. Perhaps the sugar wasn't effect to supply the demands of digesting the collagen, which uses sugar for digestion.

Last edited:

milk_lover

I haven't used glycine but use gelatin and collagen hydrolysate. Gelatin usually as a jello with fruit cocktail. And collagen mixed with milk. But your experience with glycine makes sense. With a heavy meal, especially with steak or in a brazilian churrascuria, the glycine portion of your total amino acid or protein intake makes it tolerable, while with Coke, the glycine portion is 100% of your protein intake.

If you also eat lamb, lamb has higher glycine portion than beef has. So taking glycine with lamb could possibly give you more digestive discomfort than taking it with beef.

I still prefer taking gelatin over glycine since gelatin is something the body is used to digesting. I've always had my gelatin as a jello with fruit cocktail and its syrup. Since it has protein and sugar, it goes well together. On the other hand, I have found myself getting hungry at night when I had milk with collagen, and sugar. Perhaps the sugar wasn't effect to supply the demands of digesting the collagen, which uses sugar for digestion.
Interesting to know lamb has more gelatin than beef. Is there some data that you know of that shows percentages of gelatin in lamb vs beef?

I take glycine with any meat, except lamb shank.

The idea of making jello and preparing gelatin is tedious for me because I travel a lot and I eat out all the time :) I am not a strict Peater unfortunately, but I think if you tolerate gelatin/collagen and you have time to prepare them, that would be better than pure glycine because of the other amino acids in them like proline. So I totally understand where your points are coming from.

yerrag

Interesting to know lamb has more gelatin than beef. Is there some data that you know of that shows percentages of gelatin in lamb vs beef?

I take glycine with any meat, except lamb shank.

The idea of making jello and preparing gelatin is tedious for me because I travel a lot and I eat out all the time :) I am not a strict Peater unfortunately, but I think if you tolerate gelatin/collagen and you have time to prepare them, that would be better than pure glycine because of the other amino acids in them like proline. So I totally understand where your points are coming from.

I thought I had it figured out and put in a spreadsheet when I was making special blends for my mom. I tried to look up the data from nutriondata.com, but I guess I was wrong about lamb having more glycine ratio-wise. Sorry for the wrong info there.

And yes, it takes time to prepare gelatin to make them into jello. Not a lot though, but still if you're busy it would be hard to do. The thing though with jello is that you can make a large batch once in a pan, and the jelo would be ready in the fridge, whenever you are. But since you travel a lot, it would be impossible to take jello with you. You'd just have to find dishes that have more natural gelatin in them. Lamb shank, in that respect, is better than lamb ribs. And then there are soups that have the innards of livestock, and they're already richer in gelatin. You probably eat them already, so I could just be preaching to the choir.

milk_lover

I thought I had it figured out and put in a spreadsheet when I was making special blends for my mom. I tried to look up the data from nutriondata.com, but I guess I was wrong about lamb having more glycine ratio-wise. Sorry for the wrong info there.

And yes, it takes time to prepare gelatin to make them into jello. Not a lot though, but still if you're busy it would be hard to do. The thing though with jello is that you can make a large batch once in a pan, and the jelo would be ready in the fridge, whenever you are. But since you travel a lot, it would be impossible to take jello with you. You'd just have to find dishes that have more natural gelatin in them. Lamb shank, in that respect, is better than lamb ribs. And then there are soups that have the innards of livestock, and they're already richer in gelatin. You probably eat them already, so I could just be preaching to the choir.
Thanks man for the suggestions. Do you tolerate the jello (cold) better than gelatin in hot milk coffee? Maybe my issue was consuming gelatin in hot milk coffee. Yeah the logistics of gelatin preparing is hard for me because I only eat halal gelatin and in east Asia countries, you hardly can find any. Glycine put in two capsules, each around 1g, is practical at those meat places we talked about. BTW, I think glycine/gelatin is important if you take aspirin a lot. Aspirin can deplete it.

yerrag

Thanks man for the suggestions. Do you tolerate the jello (cold) better than gelatin in hot milk coffee? Maybe my issue was consuming gelatin in hot milk coffee. Yeah the logistics of gelatin preparing is hard for me because I only eat halal gelatin and in east Asia countries, you hardly can find any. Glycine put in two capsules, each around 1g, is practical at those meat places we talked about. BTW, I think glycine/gelatin is important if you take aspirin a lot. Aspirin can deplete it.
I haven't been mixing gelatin nor collagen in my coffee or milk, but I have been adding collagen to my milk before going to bed, with sugar and salt. I would get hungry at night though. I tried once to take jello separately, and had everything else except the collagen, and I slept better. Another time, I lessened my collagen by half, everything the same, and I slept better. I guess that the collagen gets digested very quickly, and quickly used up my blood sugar, causing me to get hungry. Perhaps thie jello takes longer to digest, and it didn't make my blood sugar exhausted so quickly. I read just today about free or isolated amino acids, that they digest quickly because no enzymes are needed to digest them, and so maybe that's why collagen (although it's not a free amino acid, but it's more broken down than gelatin) makes me hungry faster than gelatin. With glycine, even more so.

What I don't understand is that you take glycine with Coke, and there's plenty of sugar to go with your glycine intake, and you're less likely to be exhausted of sugar. Perhaps if you try lowering your glycine by half, it may turn out differently.

milk_lover

What I don't understand is that you take glycine with Coke, and there's plenty of sugar to go with your glycine intake, and you're less likely to be exhausted of sugar. Perhaps if you try lowering your glycine by half, it may turn out differently.
Yeah I tried reducing the glycine dose and it worked much better now. If I take it away from heavy meals, I make sure the glycine dose is no more than 1g with a cup of coke or warm milk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals