Brainstorming for Time-Release Supplements

J

j.

If you take a supplement in a gelatin capsule, does the time to dissolve the gelatin change significantly depending on how thick the capsule is?

I was thinking that if you buy empty gelatin capsules of different sizes, one could put a supplement in one capsule, and then put that capsule within another capsule within another capsule. I wonder if the difference in the time it takes to dissolve is significant.

Suikerbuik

It will delay the release, not sure how much. But I think getalin is dissolved quickly in stomach acid and pepsin. You could see if a gelatin capsule disintegrates in vinegar or lemon juice - ph should be around 2 to 2,5 respectively. Anyway as long as all the powder is in the first (inner) capsule the supplement won't be time released, because as soon as the gelatin is gone everything will be released in once.

Time release tablets contain hard to digest stuff that inhibit immediate breakdown.

What I do is I buy capsules with the B-vitamins I want. For example niacinamine 500 mg. Then I determine about much I want daily, let's say 125 mg. I open 2 capsules, along with other B-vitamins I'd like to take, and a few mililiters demineralized or reverse osmose water. Shake the stuff, take a coffee filter and cut it in circles, fold it into a nice funnel like shape and place it on some small collection tube. Pipet your B-vitamin solution into this folded coffee filter. All the stuff (precipitate) will stay in the filter and you will have a clear vitamin B solution. Put a few militers of water in the filter several times to make sure you extract all the B-vitamins and you are done. To be sure you can repeat the filter step with a new coffee filter - use the already filtered solution.

I store this in the a fridge for about a week and then make a new one. This looks like much work but will take you only 20 minutes or so. I pipette about 3 ml in 1000 ml orange juice/ other drinks. And drink this throughout the day, my own time released intake. I am used to working with laboratory equipment so that's how this idea came up. I bought myself a gilson P1000 classic via ebay.

Fat soluble vitamins don't need time release since the body is a time release machine.

jyb

Suikerbuik said:
All the stuff (precipitate) will stay in the filter and you will have a clear vitamin B solution. Put a few militers of water in the filter several times to make sure you extract all the B-vitamins and you are done. To be sure you can repeat the filter step with a new coffee filter - use the already filtered solution.

Since B vitamins are water soluble, you know that they will go in the solution. What about the impurities in supplements? Silica, silicon dioxide, micr. cellulose,...

Suikerbuik

There is a large amount of forms of these molecules, that makes it a bit difficult to say if none of these are not soluble. I am not really deep into the subject, but thought about it merely superficial. To my knowledge these are things far less soluble in pure water only as solvent, a neutral pH (~6-7), room tempratures and short 'incubation' times.

And if still soluble under these conditions (possible some cellulose derivatives) not that harmful I think. Cellulose is often used in membranes, these don't dissolve. As said maybe only some cellulose derivatives can dissolve if these didn't swell already, cellulose polymer usually swell and thus be filtered out.

You will have much residue in the filter, and if still some particles get into solution, I will not hesitate to not take it, if these are water soluble then these particles will likely be small and soluble in your body too - easily excreted.

The thing that Peat cautions about is insoluble small particles that may be absorbed by persorption - block capillaries and cause inflammation. These are filtered out for sure. Be always carefull for allergic reactions though, I don't know how these vitamins are harvested or created. That process may leave some soluble residue that may affect one negatively. Different brand could help in that case maybe..?

OP
J

j.

Suikerbuik said:
Anyway as long as all the powder is in the first (inner) capsule the supplement won't be time released, because as soon as the gelatin is gone everything will be released in once.

The idea was to put one drop in one level and another drop in another capsule.

OP
J

j.

Suikerbuik said:
Fat soluble vitamins don't need time release since the body is a time release machine.

If you consume unnatural amounts of vitamin A it might be a good preventive measure to not have it all at once, as the level in the bloodstream would get unnaturally high.

SQu

Suikerbuik, how about progesterone and pregnenolone filtered as you describe? I've just found out that mine have cellulose based fibre, mag stearate, silicon dioxide (he didn't say colloidal but you never know ) and in the slow release pregnenolone, hpnc. He said that stood for hydroxypropylnephylcellulose, e-6 grade. (oh dear!)

Suikerbuik

Won't work, these are not water soluble. Likely olive oil or something that dissolves pregnenolone or progesterone is a possibilty but I don't know about the solubility of these other components in a hydrofobic environment and the capacity to filter oily substances..

Below a picture of a recent batch. The trash of ONLY 8 pills. The filtrate is extremly bitter so definitely a sign of niacinamide. (took me 12 minutes to make by the way).

Sorry for the crappy upload, or advertisements that you may encounter when viewing full size.
b3q0lw.jpg

Suikerbuik

Yes, it is. If I have time next time, I'll weigh a dry filter and afterwards with dried residue. See if I possibly lose some vitamins.

SQu

Im shocked at how much sand / ground rock dust / they put in supps, and charge us for. What a rip off.