Brainfog Going From Keto To Eating More Carbs

CoolTweetPete

The Wikipedia page for The Randle Cycle is very informative. It might be good to encourage her to read it over. Randle cycle - Wikipedia

If she can apply the idea in the article to her own behavior, she might gain a better understanding of what is occurring.

TeaRex14

It doesn’t take much. You would have to live in a lab or eat very strictly to not get enough pufa to make thyroid, restricting fat intake to 15% is not going to do that. My point really is that PUFA is intrinsic to the iodine thyroid conversion, so therefore arguing that it is anti-thyroid makes little sense. In excess PUFA could be a problem, but then why does high Vitamin E intake (which require pufa as well) raise body temperatures? I doubt PUFA, when delivered with sufficient E, like it is found in nature, is any more anti-thyroid than SFA, gram for gram.

The problem with PUFA is when people consume it via fried foods or food which has been cooked and left to sit for days, this means the Vitamin E has been decreased extremely, while free radicals are increased. To make the argument against PUFA via cooking with oils, and apply it to nuts or grains is just plain stupid.
Well the main reason SFAs are better than PUFAs for metabolism is the fact SFAs don't suppress the pyruvate dehyrogenase enzymes. Essentially if eaten in the right amounts, which most evidence suggests you don't need that much, SFAs will assist carbohydrate metabolism. The endotoxin debate is much more murky, and I haven't studied it enough to really comment on. So eating a low total amount of fat, primarily SFAs, seems to be the best possible game plan for boosting metabolism. Ray has spoken before that in a hypothetical situation of EFA deficiency, vitamin E is no longer needed. So the storage of it would be irrelevant most likely.

Well the main reason SFAs are better than PUFAs for metabolism is the fact SFAs don't suppress the pyruvate dehyrogenase enzymes. Essentially if eaten in the right amounts, which most evidence suggests you don't need that much, SFAs will assist carbohydrate metabolism. The endotoxin debate is much more murky, and I haven't studied it enough to really comment on. So eating a low total amount of fat, primarily SFAs, seems to be the best possible game plan for boosting metabolism. Ray has spoken before that in a hypothetical situation of EFA deficiency, vitamin E is no longer needed. So the storage of it would be irrelevant most likely.

Vitamin E has specific unique critical roles in the body outside of being an anti-oxidant (making pufa safer), so I think RP is just wrong about that.

Vitamin E still allows for critical oxidant functions to take place, it simply breaks the chain of nasty events that would take place after if it were not in place, basically it makes PUFA a powerful component to the cell, rather than a loose cannon.

Anyway I think SFA is valuable to consume. I do not think avoiding all SFA is wise, however since our bodies are so capable of making it from carbs dietary SFA really is not essential. I think all the fats have their role and are in our cells for specific reasons that we do not want to tamper with. We want the ratios to match whatever a healthy person’s ratios are, there are many papers on the saturation distribution in cells and various markers or health and disease, it is interesting to look at - a lot of it is very counter-intuitive. It is an extremely complex subject. My take on it is supply a little of each and let our system decide from there.

Last edited:
The whole debate over which fat is pro-metabolic is so scattered and inconclusive.

Nonetheless:

Effect of dietary fatty acid composition on substrate utilization and body weight maintenance in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

“CONCLUSION: SFA are likely more obesigenic than MUFA, and PUFA. The unsaturated fats appear to be more metabolically beneficial, specifically MUFA ≥ PUFA > SFA, as evidenced by the higher DIT and FOx following HF meals or diets.”

All I know is going very low fat and not worrying about absolute restriction of any one fat has me dropping adipose weight fast and with higher temperatures than ever.

Last edited:
A high fat diet is how scientists typically induce gut dysbiosis in experiments. Gut dysbiosis + lots of carbs can cause brain fog.

It’s true. Countless experiments use this method.

Do the math LOL.

Game meat, antelope, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

Game meat, rabbit, domesticated, composite of cuts, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

Game meat, raw, squirrel: nutritional value and analysis

Duck, wild, meat and skin, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

If a feral cat is eating high fat it is because it is eating dumpster human food, or a high fish / high fowl, and therefore high mufa and pufa diet. I can’t see the full study so who knows what they mean about feral, that could mean city cats that are feral for all I know.

Wild prey that happen to be high fat usually happen to be high mufa and pufa as well.

Last edited:

Kartoffel

High SFA consumption may be unique to humans

"Wild cheetahs typically hunt and consume small antelope. These species have a high saturated and low polyunsaturated fatty acid content in their tissues.
The abdominal organs and fat stores consumed by wild cheetahs are high in saturated fats and low in polyunsaturated fatty acids when compared to the fats stored in and around the muscle tissues typically fed to captive animals."

You made two simple statements. Other carnivorers don't eat a lot of fat, and high SFA intake might be unique to humans. Both things are nonsense. You think that the fat content of a piece of lean antilope meat, served in a restaurant, and listed on nutrtion data, is the same as what a cheetah consumes when they hunt in the savanna?

Interestingly, wild boar, no fat trimmed: very low fat.

Also interesting: beef is the only one high in sfa, others are high in mufa and or pufa.

Hunting Game Nutrition Value - Gunners Den

Go and pinch an antelope or a zebra sometime LOL. So what if the organs have more sfa, that is not the only part being consumed by predators.

Overall the sum of MUFA and PUFA are more or less on par with SFA in wild prey. Ratio of SFA in predators is lower than high fat Standard American Diet humans. Where do these predators get their coconut oil, lard, butter, and cheese?

Last edited:

TeaRex14

Vitamin E has specific unique critical roles in the body outside of being an anti-oxidant (making pufa safer), so I think RP is just wrong about that.

Vitamin E still allows for critical oxidant functions to take place, it simply breaks the chain of nasty events that would take place after if it were not in place, basically it makes PUFA a powerful component to the cell, rather than a loose cannon.

Anyway I think SFA is valuable to consume. I do not think avoiding all SFA is wise, however since our bodies are so capable of making it from carbs dietary SFA really is not essential. I think all the fats have their role and are in our cells for specific reasons that we do not want to tamper with. We want the ratios to match whatever a healthy person’s ratios are, there are many papers on the saturation distribution in cells and various markers or health and disease, it is interesting to look at - a lot of it is very counter-intuitive. It is an extremely complex subject. My take on it is supply a little of each and let our system decide from there.
It would be hard to prove him wrong, or right, because there's very little studies done on EFA depletion (none in humans). The ones that do exist, appear to be positive, but never mentioned anything about vitamin E. Mead acid appears to be very anti-inflammatory, and you get the same downstream effects by supplementing aspirin. So even though there is no direct evidence to prove Peat right most of the evidence surrounding this hypothesis seems to support it. This study shows extremely low-fat diets (only .03 grams of fat per kilogram of body weight) don't appear to cause humans much problems, at least in a 6 month period.

Kartoffel

Interestingly, wild boar, no fat trimmed: very low fat.

Also interesting: beef is the only one high in sfa, others are high in mufa and or pufa.

Hunting Game Nutrition Value - Gunners Den

Go and pinch an antelope sometime LOL. So what if the organs have more sfa, that is not the only part being consumed by predators.

No, but since you are an expert on all animals and their eating habits, judging by the generalizations you make, you surely know that wild cats like cheetahs and lions preferably go for the organs and fat depots first, and only later for the muscle meat. I am sure you are also aware of the generous fat depots those lean looking antelopes have, right? So I assume the pinching was just a bad joke on your side.
It's funny how you try to wriggle yourself out of your statements. You said high SFA consumption might be unique to humans. I only need one example to disprove that, and I just did. You can feel free to look at any other carnivore living in hot climates to find more examples disproving your nonsense. Regarding your statement on total fat- below is another publication showing that wolves consume between 40-50% fat. So, this shows that your 2nd statement is also false. A world in which predators eat mainly lean protein exists only in your imagination.

"Most African ungulates have substantial intra-abdominal fat reserves, including, mesenteric, omental, perirenal and channel fat. Consumption of whole prey carcasses is therefore likely to result in an increased intake of dietary fat compared to captive diets that are mostly limited to muscle meat and bone."

"The selected protein – fat – carbohydrate profile of wolves inthe present study (54:45:1 % by energy) is different from thatin dogs, i.e. 30:63:7 % by energy"
Sci-Hub | Dietary nutrient profiles of wild wolves: insights for optimal dog nutrition? British Journal of Nutrition, 113(S1), S40–S54 | 10.1017/S0007114514002311

Last edited:

Kartoffel

Are you unwilling or unable to read my posts? This paper doesn't show that wild game = mostly PUFA or MUFA, it shows that wild game in Quebec = mostly PUFA or MUFA. I already said that fats will be more saturated the closer you get to the equator, I never said that prey animals in the northern hemisphere are the same. I already showed you the evidence that antelopes are highly saturated and that the fat of cheetahs is the same, so your point has already been invalidated. The semantic content of the word unique is that the set of elements that fit the characteristics = 1. I already demonstrated that there are at least two - humans and cheetahs (in reality there are thousands more). Both of your original points are wrong. The average carnivore eats a significant amount of fat, and humans are not the only species that eat a signifcant amount of SFA.

Last edited:

Kartoffel

Extra fun, primary components of a Wolf diet.

Game meat, moose, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

Game meat, deer, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

The best I could do here because this exercise is stupid to begin with:
Moose, liver, braised (Alaska Native) Nutrition Facts & Calories

Lol. Do you think that people are unable to understand how cheap your style of argumentation is? I already showed you a peer-reviewed paper demonstrating that wolves eat 50% fat und you keep posting entries from nutritiondata. Great work, buddy!

tara

Speculations:

Did anyone ask which carbohydrate foods she was eating?
Has she played around with quantities, kinds and ratios? Has she noticed a pattern in symptoms related to particular foods or quantities?
Wondering if there could be an allergy or intolerance to a particular trigger food, rather than carbs in general.
Could there be issues with eg wheat? Too much refined sugar, or starch?

Do the carbs include fruits and veges with plenty of minerals? Could there be specific deficiencies?

Was she in the habit of getting plenty of sleep before? Could there be a deficit to catch up?

Was she in the habit of energy deficit or balance before? Eg, did she push herself beyond reasonable physically, or habitually undereat? Again, a deficit to catch up, that the carbs are now telling her body it is now safe to rest, digest and restore?

Is transit apace? Carrot salad etc?