Brain Levels Of Gaba Predict Tactile Learning Ability

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study is perhaps counter-intuitive to some given that GABA is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS. However, GABA has repeatedly been shown to be crucial for the ability of the brain to learn and cholinergic drugs that were tried for Alzheimers failed spectacularly. For those who are still thinking of supplementing choline, please keep in mind that choline is a GABA "antagonist", and as such it is excitotoxic and similar in action to estrogen and cocaine.

http://www.psypost.org/2015/12/neurotra ... ning-39828

"...In an international collaboration with the Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD, USA), neuroscientists at the Ruhr-University Bochum have determined a link between brain levels of the neurotransmitter GABA, the main source of inhibition in the brain, and tactile learning. Using magnetic resonance spectroscopy, they were able to show that success in learning can be predicted by baseline GABA levels."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What can increase gaba permanently? I've heard yoga can.

Avoiding/Lowering stress. Basically, anything that increases CRF/CRH will decrease both GABA synthesis and GABA activity at the "receptors". Yoga lowers CRF/CRH and subsequently ACTH and cortisol, and that has been confirmed in quite a few human studies. The closest thing to yoga would be taking theanine, which produces the same brain patterns as meditation and yoga do.

DrJ

The closest thing to yoga would be taking theanine, which produces the same brain patterns as meditation and yoga do.

Yoga in a pill? Sign my lazy **** up! Didn't even want to wear those pants anyways...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yoga in a pill? Sign my lazy **** up! Didn't even want to wear those pants anyways...

Well, I should have said "meditation" instead of yoga. Theanine produces the same brain patterns as mindful meditation, which is also one of the goals of yoga practitioners (i.e. achieve meditation status while practicing the poses).

Elron

Well, I should have said "meditation" instead of yoga. Theanine produces the same brain patterns as mindful meditation, which is also one of the goals of yoga practitioners (i.e. achieve meditation status while practicing the poses).
I've often wondered if you take a substance enough, whether it will positively essentially 'wire' the brain towards a different default mode. As if you had drinked every day for a long time, perhaps you would be more disinhibited. Perhaps that is the end-goal with yoga and meditation.

Kasper

For me theanine has not only the effect of meditation, but it also makes me want to do more meditation and also, explore my body (not really yoga, but I guess similar mindset). With explore my body, I mean, that I'm constantly trying to explore where the tension is in my body, and how I can relax that.

Not totally sure if I can address this all to theanine, as I also started taurine at the same time, but I think this is the effect that theanine has on me.

Elron

I don't seem to notice much from theanine but qigong has a surprising amount of effects on my body. Increased circulation, warmer, less anxiety, etc.;

PTP

Just saw this, I took a choline supplement once back in my paleo days and it gave me a horrible headache. Threw those pills out pretty soon after.

Koveras

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170117083327.htm

"Diminishing levels of GABA, the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, may play a role in cognitive decline as we age, according to a study published in Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging. The study, led by Ronald Cohen of University of Florida's Center for Cognitive Aging and McKnight Brain Institute, shows an association between higher GABA concentrations in the frontal lobe, a brain region important for complex cognitive functioning, and superior performance on a cognitive test in healthy older adults."

Frankdee20

This study is perhaps counter-intuitive to some given that GABA is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS. However, GABA has repeatedly been shown to be crucial for the ability of the brain to learn and cholinergic drugs that were tried for Alzheimers failed spectacularly. For those who are still thinking of supplementing choline, please keep in mind that choline is a GABA "antagonist", and as such it is excitotoxic and similar in action to estrogen and cocaine.

http://www.psypost.org/2015/12/neurotra ... ning-39828

"...In an international collaboration with the Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD, USA), neuroscientists at the Ruhr-University Bochum have determined a link between brain levels of the neurotransmitter GABA, the main source of inhibition in the brain, and tactile learning. Using magnetic resonance spectroscopy, they were able to show that success in learning can be predicted by baseline GABA levels."

Would this apply to choline from eggs too, or just supplemental ? The degree of GABA antagonism ? I mean 3 eggs a day supply about 400 mg.

Frankdee20

Doesn't alpha GPC increase acetylcholine along with GABA? If choline acts as a GABA antagonist how is that possible with alpha GPC?

I used to take alpha GPC pre-workout for the GH boost.

I can't find the study but here is the article on it regarding GABA.

Glycerylphosphorylcholine increases growth hormone and GABA - Nutrient Journal

Too much choline or acetylcholine can induce the worst depression and brain fog in me, even from food. But I eat high choline food to help liver function

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Would this apply to choline from eggs too, or just supplemental ? The degree of GABA antagonism ? I mean 3 eggs a day supply about 400 mg.

I think the choline in eggs is not as bad as the isolated one from supplements. The one in eggs is phosphatidylcholine and animal studies show clear difference between it and the pure choline sold separately, and the egg PC was beneficial while choline was not. Could be the cholesterol or something else in eggs that contributes to this difference but I would not worry about the choline if it comes from eggs.

Frankdee20

Yes, I know supplemental choline isn't Peat friendly. See, they used to say boosting acetylcholine improved brain speed, but it antagonizes other neurotransmitters. It's not always black and white what these Eric Braverman's say.

dlind70

You are right, and that is one main reason, the type of acid consumed. Remember Acid is the life force of life. The minerals are the breaks, Acid is the accelerator. Almonds have most trace minerals too and they are balanced by the acid.

Frankdee20

Interesting, I just assumed the Glutamic Acid gets converted to GABA via GAD enzyme. But lots of foods have that Amino Acid.

dlind70

Almonds help more than other foods from my own experience, so they will get you there faster.
The potency of iodine in a tree is stronger. Potency is the ability to use less to do more within a certain velocity.

Almonds are homeopathic for thyroid which is key and if its what your trying to do is utilize GABA.

And by help I mean less fear based attitude, more childlike. And I do eat almonds quite a bit almost everyday with fruit sometimes. I will too, say, almonds increase memory and I do notice more memory's come in.

The food effects , maybe they sound new age woo woo, But I do notice them.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom