Brain Fog

jyb

Beebop said:
So what is the mechanism that cortisol uses to reduce brain fog? I know this is a process that is not helpful over the long-term, but maybe it's worth understanding.

Having mental clarity would help us survive in a life threatening situation so it makes sense that cortisol would promote that. But how?

My understanding is that stress hormones helps to raise temperatures and your brain benefits from it. And indeed, if I become incredibly stressed (say an exam) then my brain doesn't do too bad, but its short lived and probably not as good as if the brain was working well from a healthy metabolism.

Actually getting those stress highs were the only reason I was successful during my studies and work, otherwise I was a lethargic piece of wood. When the adrenaline kicked in, I finally could do things and I was thankful for the stress. Its only after reading RP that I understood it wasn't healthy and my body can't continue working just on stress highs.

Beebop

So a hot bath should help in the short term then... Thanks for everyone's clarifications!

Dan W

I've experienced the effect Kiran is talking about. During low(ish) carbing with intermittent fasting, I'd feel razor-sharp. When I went for more of a Peat-style diet, I initially felt sluggish, but was finally able to sleep deeply and limit anxiety. That has ultimately left me better off.

Peato, I've noticed that intense high-wattage light boosts my alertness quite a bit. Might be worth a try if you're not already.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Please disregard my hibernation talk in this thread. Must be the brain fog. :oops:

Beebop

I thought the hibernation point was a useful one Charlie :) Made me want to re-read those articles too!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks Beebop.

I guess, in a sense that is whats going on. Metabolism dialed way down, PUFA level at extreme highs. Body is ready to shut down. So maybe I was OK with saying that.

Beebop

Yes makes total sense.
For me, I suspect that my brain fog is worse in relation to my cycle. So our old friend estrogen again ;)
But yeah, not certain about it, still observing.

Thomas

I too wonder what it is and if someone finds a way out please tell me. It hits me like a hammer on the head and I feel terrible. I am sure it is one kind of reaction. A kind of toxin release by the body. I cant figure it out if its a histamin reaction or bacteria eating away on the sugar, growing, mulitplying and releasing endotoxins, or if its candida doing its one eating and realeasing of toxins. I noticed too that it was less of a problem when I was doing the SCD diet or the GAPS diet. (Low carb, no sugar) But it was not good either. I could have posted my post as well in the Thread about: Is it going bad before it is going better.

I wonder about that. The RP diet should raise the metabolism but what is strange is that I have more problems now with cold hands. When I eat sugar and milk and stuff suddenly I get real woozy and dizzy, cold hands, palaptions, anxiety and suddenly it gets warm in the stomach and the could of toxic suffering lifts and I think, whow so wonderful can life be. Then suddenly the cloud of suffering comes down on me and I am in dizzy land. I can function and walk around but I feel terrible with brainfog and poisioned feeling. I havent found a pattern, nothing to go by.

So, please if you find a think which lifts that could and a way to chelate the toxins out, tell me.

yours
Thomas

chris

Has anyone had any success regarding brain fog?

I feel I have had brain fog so long I'm not sure what it feels like not to have it. I actually remember a time a couple of years ago when I had a strange experience. It was a high stress day (relatives funeral) and I ordered a very big, very strong commercial coffee. I drank it and a few minutes after it genuinely felt like there was clicking inside my head. My brain fog was completely gone and things were very clear. I got an extreme amount of nausea from it however and never had a similar experience with coffee.

jyb

I never got rid of it, but I think sticking to basic ingredients and gelatin while avoiding starches helps (a bit).

I'm not expecting to cure the fog as long as I remain hypothyroid (sometimes I can't get my temps up) and with poor sleep. Not surprised to feel tired if I only occasionally have one good night's sleep. Would be curious to know if the fog goes away after several consecutive good night's sleep (7-8 hours minimally interrupted), but that never happens.

There are some days where my temps go up and/or my brain works very well for a large part of the day, but I still haven't figured out the recipe despite keeping a detailed log of my temps/diet/supps etc.

Thomas

jyb said:
I never got rid of it, but I think sticking to basic ingredients and gelatin while avoiding starches helps (a bit).

I'm not expecting to cure the fog as long as I remain hypothyroid (sometimes I can't get my temps up) and with poor sleep. Not surprised to feel tired if I only occasionally have one good night's sleep. Would be curious to know if the fog goes away after several consecutive good night's sleep (7-8 hours minimally interrupted), but that never happens.

There are some days where my temps go up and/or my brain works very well for a large part of the day, but I still haven't figured out the recipe despite keeping a detailed log of my temps/diet/supps etc.

Probably the brain fog thing is different with each person. I sleep very well, and have energy. I am not tired att all but for me it feels like I would swallow drugs or being drunk. I wake up and feel ok. Lets say little pressure in the stomach but otherwise fine. I noticed that and be happen. Suddenly after 30 minutes it is like I would have swallowed some wiskey. I get dizzy, and drunk, and think ***t....now we go again. I get cold hands and a wirred stomach feeling, than I feel sea-sick. If I start then thinking negative or being afraid it gets worse. Most of the time I hope it will leave me. I dont know if the sugar thing is good for me....

all the best
yours
thomas

Beebop

chris said:

The best I've felt in the past year - with no brain fog, was when I was beginning to edge over into hyperthyroidism. I think I hit a sweet spot of thyroid levels for a while and felt great, then I tipped over into hyper, not so great.

Thomas

Beebop said:
chris said:

The best I've felt in the past year - with no brain fog, was when I was beginning to edge over into hyperthyroidism. I think I hit a sweet spot of thyroid levels for a while and felt great, then I tipped over into hyper, not so great.

what happend then? How did you experienced it. And what you do to balance it?
yours
Thomas

Beebop

I haven't rebalanced it yet.
At the time I reduced my dose of T4 because my symptoms became too hyper (reflected by bloodwork). That in itself took a while to settle.
I'm going to start taking T3 for the first time soon. Fingers crossed I can find that place again.

My point is, maybe brain fog can be a symptom of needing more thyroid. If you've tried everything else...

Swandattur

What about that thing Peat does say Candida can do? I've read about it from other sources, too. It is getting drunk off the ethanol produced by the yeast or whatever. That would explain some brain fog. Even though I've had episodes of major depression and, I suppose it could be called cyclothymia or dysthymia in recent years I never noticed having brain fog until following a more Peat kind of diet. Maybe all the times I could have been having brain fog, I was having depression instead? Maybe cortisol prevented brain fog before. I am warming up; I haven't been cold so much. I think my hair shedding has slowed. In general, I have been much less anxious.

D

Deleted member 5487

My understanding is that stress hormones helps to raise temperatures and your brain benefits from it. And indeed, if I become incredibly stressed (say an exam) then my brain doesn't do too bad, but its short lived and probably not as good as if the brain was working well from a healthy metabolism.

Actually getting those stress highs were the only reason I was successful during my studies and work, otherwise I was a lethargic piece of wood. When the adrenaline kicked in, I finally could do things and I was thankful for the stress. Its only after reading RP that I understood it wasn't healthy and my body can't continue working just on stress highs.

Brain fog is due to the lowering of stress hormones following a significant feeding.

During my low carb-days the fog was so bad I could hardly function. Large meals would lower stress and adrenaline and I could barley grip something since the cortisol was lowered and blood pulled from the muscles.

Something like a sweet potato would lead to a hot sweaty nap.

Relief would be found in a no carb.

It is due to body temperature and insulin resistant aiding the amino acids into the brain.

During low fat, high carb/protein peat stages fog was better however still there.

Relief is founder in moderate fat, high carb, moderate protein.
Ice cream before bed with gelatin is what fixed my metabolism to the point of where I eat all day long, get leaner, stronger, and more muscular.

Significantly heavy weight lifting also allows great relief from fog and insulin sensitivity. It stimulates the organism greatly without tiring it. It's really shuttles the carbs to the muscle.

Hagendaz and milk before bed with gelatin I attribute to significant healing. Both energy and bodily functions bags under the eyes dissipated and the redness of my eyes cleared to white as snow.

jyb

It is due to body temperature and insulin resistant aiding the amino acids into the brain.

Do you have a source for that - brain fog caused by amino acids affecting the brain?

I also find moderate exercise useful but more sports like swimming than "just" muscles like lifting (but no experience with very heavy lifting). I think you're onto something with the connection between exercise and fog, specifically for people in this situation. I don't know many people sharing this kind of symptom (brain fog/easy muscles), so thank you for posting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5487

Do you have a source for that - brain fog caused by amino acids affecting the brain?

I also find moderate exercise useful but more sports like swimming than "just" muscles like lifting (but no experience with very heavy lifting). I think you're onto something with the connection between exercise and fog. I don't know many sharing people this kind of symptom (brain fog/easy muscles), so thank you for posting.

My hypothesis is its linked to the nervoues system.

I don't have the source but read it somewhere as one of the main contributors.

I also read a book on the lack of social interaction shrinks(destroying) the nervous system to kill off the organism(in social species)

Heavily stimulating the organism with Heavy weights ,Sunlight, Surplus food is likly how I cured mine.

Though I have found it returns after caffeine(which I quit) and this leads me to believe it's high adrenaline/low dopamine. I had "adrenaline eyes" for months that turned white as snow after nightly ice cream and gelatin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals