Brain Fog & Fatigue

Integral

Hey guys,

I started on a Peat-ish protocol earlier this year and made a lot of progress. I posted a thread in the testimonial section outlining how I managed to get over a lot of my symptoms:

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=7447

All was well, I'd have the odd issue spring up, for example I got some acid reflux for a period of about a week, but I addressed it by increasing my coconut oil and gelatin and it went away.

Problems arose approximately two weeks ago when I fell ill with a viral infection. I was ill for a week, vomitting, wheezing, coughing and consigned to bed. I did not really eat anything for most of the week. I took a 7 day course of anti-biotics (Amoxcillin) and picked up, and have since been mostly fine. However, I developed brain fog symptoms like I struggled with before following this bout of illness, and have been feeling quite fatigued. These symptoms have persisted since the illness struck.

It's quite worrying, I find myself being confused by things, I struggle to grasp the logic behind certain statements. Like when someone is talking about something I'll struggle to keep up, which is bizare for me. Some sentences in newspaper articles, for instance, have left me baffled. My best friend also commented that I was a lttle 'off'. Something is definitely up.

I had help with these matters before as I was paying a practitioner, and his 12 week program was awesome and has helped me in many respects. Notwithstanding, I'm on my own now and need to get my health back.

I need a bit of help to be honest. Can someone assist me in thinking about a way to tackle this matter?

I use cronometer and can post up a sample day of mine along with temps and pulses.

Thanks everyone for your time,
Integral.

tara

I know people this last winter who have had flu-like illnesses that have dragged on and/or recurred over several weeks. Sometimes convalescence takes a bit longer than 2 weeks.

Are you well past the antibiotics? Feeling crappy (tired, off) while taking antibiotics seems fairly common.

Have you checked your resting temps and heart rate a few times?

What worked for you the first time you picked yourself up?

OP
Integral

Integral

Hey Tara, thanks for your reply.

It could be some sort of post-viral infection symptoms perhaps, I'm mindful of that.

Yeah it's been some time now since I've taken anti-biotics.

Morning temp was 35.9C or 96.2F. Morning pulse was 86 BPM.

Last time when I got myself into good health I was just trying to get my nutrition right to be honest. I was aiming for around 3000kcal, and after a while I found I was doing pretty good. Did gain a lot of weight though, with me now tipping the scales at 275lbs @ 6 ft 3, but that's another matter.

I will log a day of eating for me today and keep track of temps/pulses and update on this thread.

Regards,
Integral.

OP
Integral

Integral

Some more infomation I just wanted to add is that for some time now, probably around a month and a half, I've been feeling somewhat stressed and my outlook is a tinge bleaker than it was during my period of good health. I feel as if my mood is not quite where it should be. Little things seem to stress me out, I am worrying a lot.

Giraffe

When I started following some of Peat's recommendations I got rid of a couple of health issues, but one day of eating out (and the wrong stuff) or one day of not eating enough makes the symptoms return almost as hard as they were before. So in my case the tolerance threshold towards this kind of insults is still quite low, and it will take some time to raise it.

Integral said:
post 102254 I was ill for a week, vomitting, wheezing, coughing and consigned to bed.
Your body will need some time to replete stores. Do you supplement anything?

I felt weak for two or three days after a food poising. It took about two weeks to completely feel normal again .. and I was running to the loo only for a couple of hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Integral

Integral

Giraffe said:
post 102342 When I started following some of Peat's recommendations I got rid of a couple of health issues, but one day of eating out (and the wrong stuff) or one day of not eating enough makes the symptoms return almost as hard as they were before. So in my case the tolerance threshold towards this kind of insults is still quite low, and it will take some time to raise it.

Integral said:
post 102254 I was ill for a week, vomitting, wheezing, coughing and consigned to bed.
Your body will need some time to replete stores. Do you supplement anything?

I felt weak for two or three days after a food poising. It took about two weeks to completely feel normal again .. and I was running to the loo only for a couple of hours.

Thanks Giraffe for your response.

I suppose I need to give it some time, and I will try and keep on top of the nutrition. I am not too confident in my nutrition at the moment, in that I don't know if I'm getting it all right. I'll post today's food intake later.

I don't actually supplement anything. That's one area I could certainly seek to improve.

Regards,
Integral.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayelle96

That is how I have described how I've been feeling. I was ill a while back, but it's been about 6 weeks, and I still feel 'off', though the cough has finally gone away. I didn't connect it with that, but maybe it's the same thing.

OP
Integral

Integral

I've recieved some advice that I need to increase my carb intake, preferably getting my carbs to fat/protein ratio 2:1.

I end up consuming quite a lot of fat most days, I'm wanting to increase my carb intake but I could use some guidance on how I can do about doing that. I added around 400g of potato to my diet daily and improved my ratio some time ago, but was wondering if there were any other good ways of doing it?

Thanks,
Integral.

OP
Integral

Integral

Hey guys, I just wanted to update this thread for the purposes of possibly helping others.

These symptoms I had just ebbed away. My brain function is very clear now, and I'm in good health, doing quite well.

I just paid more attention to getting nutrition in, and over time things just normalised. I must admit, given I was in a quite stressed state, I didn't put 100% focus into getting enough kcals and may have been missing the mark some days. As such, I have a strong suspicion that it was the antibiotics that were the culprit! I was doing great before getting ill and having to take them, the symptoms started after taking the antibiotics, and then lingereed on for almost a bloody month before things stabilised.

I'm just going to be a lot more mindful in future and of course avoid antibiotics unless they're absolutely neccesary.

Regards,
Integral.

beachbum

Hello Integral,

Do you take supplements as well as thyroid, if so what kind.

Thank you
Beachbum