Brain Fog And FATIGUE

OP
I

iLoveSugar

That's true to me also. Poor digestion that I can't fix and low temps. That correlates with me feeling worse which is 24/7.

Pregnenolone and aspirin do nothing for me.

tara

I reckon topical B-vits might be worth a go - Haidut's energin seems a reasonable option to try. The fatty vitamins seem to be suitable for topical too.
And magnesium topically if you can't handle it orally.
I don't know that I'd be getting out of bed on your diet either.

I really noticed this last winter that being cold slows me down. If metabolism is low, keeping warm by other means is probably important. Does warming up in a hot shower or bath or sauna or in a well-warmed bed make you feel any better?

Richiebogie

Hi iLoveSugar,

Ray Peat says that sugar is better than starch for many reasons, but he says that potassium helps to dispose of it (see http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gl ... etes.shtml ).

As potassium is a key ingredient of fruit, it suggests that other ingredients of raw fruit like enzymes might help too.

Andrew Perlot on youtube beat his colitis by turning to a 100% raw fruit and salad diet.

He started doing marathons and now he does Acro-Yoga!

His diet may be a bit extreme, but perhaps you could trial moving slightly in his direction...

eg. You could try eating your berries and cherries whole and raw, and try replacing Coke with fresh Orange Juice.

Imagine your friends' surprise if you started juggling them with your feet!

Richard.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

tara said:
post 110296 I reckon topical B-vits might be worth a go - Haidut's energin seems a reasonable option to try. The fatty vitamins seem to be suitable for topical too.
And magnesium topically if you can't handle it orally.
I don't know that I'd be getting out of bed on your diet either.

I really noticed this last winter that being cold slows me down. If metabolism is low, keeping warm by other means is probably important. Does warming up in a hot shower or bath or sauna or in a well-warmed bed make you feel any better?

I have back taking Energin for the past month or 2. And no, not really. Maybe minimally at best. Sometimes being to warm makes me feel even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I

iLoveSugar

Tara, what part of the diet are you referring to? Wrong foods? Or lack of fuel?

tara

iLoveSugar said:
post 110588 Tara, what part of the diet are you referring to? Wrong foods? Or lack of fuel?
I don't think the foods you are eating are bad foods in general, just that I (and apparently some others here) haven't done too well when I've made them a large part of my diet, at least as an adult since my health has been subpar. For me, it would be imbalanced with too much dairy and refined sugar, and not enough other protein and veges, and probably salt, magnesium, potassium. Some people might do fine with lots of those foods. Just making the point that we are not all the same and it may take a bit to find what suits us best, and that those particular foods can be hard on some people in large quantities (and great for others). I do wonder i you are getting enough sodium, chloride, magnesium and potassium. Many people find their transit slows down if they eat a large amount or cheese or milk. Obviously many people do fine on these foods.

I know you said you've experimented with a lot of variants on diet. It must be frusrating. I don't necessarily think you would do well on my diet. I seem to feel better if I eat some veges and some starch every day. My repeated attempts to increase dairy consumption have all lead to foggy-headedness. I'm guessing that there are some proteins that I don't digest adequately. I love cheese cake, and I would eat it every day if I hadn't got lost there a few too many times. I think I notice a worsening if I neglect magnesium. My attempts to introduce more coffee have all failed. I seem to crash after a few days. I'm only drinking a little decaf daily lately. Not because I think coffee is generally bad - it seems to serve many people very well. Just not me at the moment. For me, meat seems to digest easier than dairy. I love greek yogurt, and it may be easier to digest, but that got me too - maybe lactic acid, or histamine, or just the same problem with incompletely digested proteins as with milk. You may not have these difficulties.

3000 cals is not obviously low -I'm not pushing for you to eat more unless you are hungry for more at some stage.. But since you have damage in the digestive system, it's hard to know how much of the various nutrients you are absorbing.

I just had another thought. You seem to dislike the taste of salty food. I don't know if that is a reliable indicator of your needs for salt. It might be. Peat usually says salt to taste. But you do seem to be getting very little salt. Maybe it would be worth a short experiment with transdermal salt? Salt in bath water or a bucket foot bath, or spaying/wiping some salt water on your skin, same as people do with epsom salts etc for Mg? And see if you feel any better for it?
Does cronometter show you obviously low in other nutrients?

Have you had a go at drinking broth from leafy greens for minerals?

Can't remember if you said you'd read/considered Haidut's post on amino acids for poeple with struggling digestion?
Or tried digestive enzymes?
Or treated in case of parasites?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Thank you for the reply. I too often wonder about dairy, but trying to replace it has been a nightmare. I also seem to do very bad on veggies, after just a few pieces of very well cooked broccoli the other day, I almost fainted. I don't know if it was from endotoxin, or something causing immediate gas, or what not, but it was very scary. Squash seems to be okay with me. I definitely admit that I do not get enough sodium, potassium, or magnesium. I need to be more strict with it. I need to find something very safe to taylor my diet around, without dairy. I also did buy those amino acid proteins and haven't taken them for about a month. Have not noticed anything.

tara

iLoveSugar said:
post 110707 Thank you for the reply. I too often wonder about dairy, but trying to replace it has been a nightmare. I also seem to do very bad on veggies, after just a few pieces of very well cooked broccoli the other day, I almost fainted.
Tried just the broth from cooking kale, spinach or chard?
If squash works for you, that's good.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Crazy that I look back on this post from 2 years ago, and have found absolutely no relief. It's on a whole new level now. I highly doubt I'll ever put the missing pieces together.

Rand56

Crazy that I look back on this post from 2 years ago, and have found absolutely no relief. It's on a whole new level now. I highly doubt I'll ever put the missing pieces together.

You getting enough potassium? Upping my potassium intake has done more to alleviate my fatigue than anything else. I would suspect a lot of people dealing with fatigue aren't getting enough potassium. Minimum of 4700 mg's per day is hard to come by, unless one is pounding down tons of fruit and OJ. I can't handle a lot of liquids. Potassium bicarbonate powder is my go to over and above my diet, in getting extra potassium. I can "feel" my B's in Energin moreso now that I have upped my potassium.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I don't drink much oj and don't supplement potassium.

Thyroid was always in range except reverse t3 was high. Supplementation of it doesn't help either.