Brad Marshall's Presentation on PUFA, Obesity, Torpor and more.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Would there be a difference if someone managed to eat 0% pufa? Isnt a small amount necessary for things like inflammatory signalling? I wonder if there is any evidence to whether it would be healthier to go below 2% PUFA.
I guess it makes no difference in real life, since all foods basically contain some pufa, even the healthy foods you just listed
Peat talked about William Brown, who ate as close to 0% as possible for 6 months, and saw a number of health improvements. There are also the dramatic transformations on the Kemper Rice Diet, and they may have been below 2% as well. Even so, these regimens were only maintained for about a year or so, sometimes less. There were also several changes necessary on such diets (William Brown ate sucrose and lactose for 95%+ of his carbs, for example) Plus, diets with no fat aren't all that great.

Maybe there is some benefit to doing it for shorter bursts. Maybe you could use HCO and potatoes. An all French Fry diet might at least be fun for a week or so.

Barliman

Cook for yourself, make everything from scratch, and do not eat out. Read every label to make a good purchase choice.
Its not easy at all in our society.. There are some very interesting ideas in the fireinabottle blog. However Knobbe's reports on tribal societies give some good ideas of the way to go.
The chart on this page contains data re omega3:6 ratio and content of saturated fats:
The author advocates both butter and potatoes/white bread- all of which I had intuited as being better options than most available to us.
It made me think of the potato diet- in which dieters were free to eat whatever they wanted after eating a certain amount of potatoes.
In any case he advocates stearic acid containing foods as a means of activating fat metabolism- as it activates metabolism of fats in general.

Last edited:

DonLore

Peat talked about William Brown, who ate as close to 0% as possible for 6 months, and saw a number of health improvements. There are also the dramatic transformations on the Kemper Rice Diet, and they may have been below 2% as well. Even so, these regimens were only maintained for about a year or so, sometimes less. There were also several changes necessary on such diets (William Brown ate sucrose and lactose for 95%+ of his carbs, for example) Plus, diets with no fat aren't all that great.

Maybe there is some benefit to doing it for shorter bursts. Maybe you could use HCO and potatoes. An all French Fry diet might at least be fun for a week or so.
There would be a risk of vitamin deficiency on white rice diet, yes? But potatoes seem to contain a good amount of vitamins/minerals, and if you add some meat to that, it should cover every need. Will have to try a potato diet some day. Altough I only like potatoes with butter, but its low enough in PUFA

Lollipop2

Its not easy at all in our society.. There are some very interesting ideas in the fireinabottle blog. However Knobbe's reports on tribal societies give some good ideas of the way to go.
The chart on this page contains data re omega3:6 ratio and content of saturated fats:
The author advocates both butter and potatoes/white bread- all of which I had intuited as being better options than most available to us.
It made me think of the potato diet- in which dieters were free to eat whatever they wanted after eating a certain amount of potatoes.
In any case he advocates stearic acid containing foods as a means of activating fat metabolism- as it activates metabolism of fats in general.
I agree it is not easy BUT is highly doable. My husband and I do it and it has time costs BUT to us is completely worth it. We are healthy, resilient, etc…I have been reading labels since I was in college. I did not have any money and would go to grocery stores and read labels. BEST education ever. Now it is second nature to me. In my opinion it boils down to choice. Haven’t watched TV in over 30 years. Choose free time activity that supports my well being…