Brad Marshall's Presentation on PUFA, Obesity, Torpor and more.

LadyRae

Good point on the micronutrients. I believe sugar is a great component of that as well. Melons digest super quick which tells our body we have emery coming in which may also stop us eating uncontrollably. Maple syrup on spaghetti anyone?? ?
One of my favorite toppings for a good steak is a drizzle of raw honey. I also enjoy using nori wraps for meat and carrot shreds.

Dean

When I'm eating bowls of melon and then a fist size portion of a lean meat, there is no way I'm going to be feeling hangry... I believe that hunger is driven by micronutrient deficiency and inadequate protein. At least this proves true for me.
Not sure how many bowls of melon you're talking about, but if I eat a melon and a card deck of lean protein for breakfast, it probably isn't 10am before I'm on the hangry train. Yeah, maybe (probably) I just need to eat more and more frequently. I just don't like though having to constantly be eating, worrying about food.

One of my favorite toppings for a good steak is a drizzle of raw honey. I also enjoy using nori wraps for meat and carrot shreds.
I’ve yet to try honey on steak…something about it doesn’t seem right. But I love both separately. Maybe I should just live life on the edge and try it ?

LadyRae

I’ve yet to try honey on steak…something about it doesn’t seem right. But I love both separately. Maybe I should just live life on the edge and try it ?
I wouldn't have thought of it either but I heard Paul Saladino recommend it haha!

Dr. B

This one was awesome, I listened this morning while sitting under red light with my new kitten. I need to re-listen to the beginning, the part about redox...
would you mind explaining what they said are the causes/solutions for obesity? the same principles would apply id imagine, if you were trying to get as lean as possible?

@canadianboymike that sounds crazy, what was your diet like doing this?
so you think it would be better to do an all whey protein and fruit juice diet, vs having like 65g fat from whole milk daily plus whey protein and fruit juice? you dont think saturated fat has benefits?
for muscle building purposes wouldnt 150g or 200g protein be better than 80g or 120g?

LadyRae

would you mind explaining what they said are the causes/solutions for obesity? the same principles would apply id imagine, if you were trying to get as lean as possible?

@canadianboymike that sounds crazy, what was your diet like doing this?
so you think it would be better to do an all whey protein and fruit juice diet, vs having like 65g fat from whole milk daily plus whey protein and fruit juice? you dont think saturated fat has benefits?
for muscle building purposes wouldnt 150g or 200g protein be better than 80g or 120g?
Basically, in order to lose weight one must heal and restore the mitochondria's ability to burn glucose. And the liver must be functioning optimally. Pufa inhibits weight loss and glucose metabolism. But honestly they didn't really offer clear advice, especially if one has more than 5 lb to lose, I still don't really understand what they expect people to do.

One can clean up their diet and lower stress in their life, but if you have a substantial amount of fat on you I'm not exactly sure where a little bit of calorie restriction would come in. Wouldn't that create stress and thus inhibit proper glucose metabolism? My hunch is that one needs to have more frequent, smaller meals throughout the day, focusing on lean protein and easy to digest carbs, whatever that is for each individual...

In the comments I asked for further details regarding the process of glucuronidation....

Dr. B

Basically, in order to lose weight one must heal and restore the mitochondria's ability to burn glucose. And the liver must be functioning optimally. Pufa inhibits weight loss and glucose metabolism. But honestly they didn't really offer clear advice, especially if one has more than 5 lb to lose, I still don't really understand what they expect people to do.

One can clean up their diet and lower stress in their life, but if you have a substantial amount of fat on you I'm not exactly sure where a little bit of calorie restriction would come in. Wouldn't that create stress and thus inhibit proper glucose metabolism? My hunch is that one needs to have more frequent, smaller meals throughout the day, focusing on lean protein and easy to digest carbs, whatever that is for each individual...

In the comments I asked for further details regarding the process of glucuronidation....
the metabolic concept is simple. higher body temp equals more calories burned at rest. you wouldnt need to reduce caloric intake if youre burning more.
vitamin D3 at least orally, causes severe metabolic issues for me. not sure why. i dont think it should be used

LadyRae

the metabolic concept is simple. higher body temp equals more calories burned at rest. you wouldnt need to reduce caloric intake if youre burning more.
vitamin D3 at least orally, causes severe metabolic issues for me. not sure why. i dont think it should be used
I agree, about supplemental Vit D... I make time for real sun on my torso.

area51puy

Forum Supporter
....And, how about that? Apparently, as I was watching the earlier video of Brad's, this interview with Haidut and Brad Marshall (which I haven't watched yet) was apparently being uploaded to Youtube. Might deserve a thread of it's own, but I'm posting it here for now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjI0zQL7gaU

I want to take credit for this video, lol
Maybe he knew of haidut before.
But in the comments section of the video with Brad Marshall and ray peat about a month ago, I commented and said you should have georgi dinkov on with Brad Marshall.

LadyRae

I want to take credit for this video, lol
Maybe he knew of haidut before.
But in the comments section of the video with Brad Marshall and ray peat about a month ago, I commented and said you should have georgi dinkov on with Brad Marshall.
I saw your comment on YouTube! And I thought, how serendipitous ?

LadyRae

do you really need it? peope in northern europen countries did fine no vitamin d, just high dairy diet?
Sunlight gives me euphoria, better sleep, relaxed mood, and smoother skin. But I won't supplement D with a pill.

RealNeat

Sunlight gives me euphoria, better sleep, relaxed mood, and smoother skin. But I won't supplement D with a pill.
IMO saying one wont supplement vitamin D is like saying, "I wont eat sugar because its not the whole fruit." Yes, its not the whole deal, but that does not mean it doesnt have benefits or that it should be avoided. Do you have some other reason? I dont want to derail the thread, but im curious.

LadyRae

IMO saying one wont supplement vitamin D is like saying, "I wont eat sugar because its not the whole fruit." Yes, its not the whole deal, but that does not mean it doesnt have benefits or that it should be avoided. Do you have some other reason? I dont want to derail the thread, but im curious.
I was supplementing vitamin D for years and my levels were still low, I quit supplementing and started suning myself everyday, and then twice a week at a tanning salon throughout the winter. My D levels shot up in 6 months...

Dr. B

i got massive benefits from dropping D3 supplements entirely. prior to that I was using 10,000 IU D3 daily, 1.5mg MK4/3000IU A/300mcg MK7/1mg K1 once a week, 3000 IU vitamin A from diet daily, for 3 years.

LadyRae

i got massive benefits from dropping D3 supplements entirely. prior to that I was using 10,000 IU D3 daily, 1.5mg MK4/3000IU A/300mcg MK7/1mg K1 once a week, 3000 IU vitamin A from diet daily, for 3 years.
What kinds of benefits? I believe you, as you can see above I quit supplementing too. Did you compare D levels before and after you quit supplementing? Do you sun yourself often?

I eat liver and heart, oysters, several x/week...take Idealabs' Kuinone...

RealNeat

@LadyRae and @Dr. B it would be educational if you both wrote your experience in a vitamin D thread while recognizing any confounding variables. Already I see a lot of variables in Dr. Bs anecdote besides vitamin D. Worth noting is the supplement brand, time frame in between starting, stopping and testing (what was tested? Lab?) along with any other major changes to lifestyle.

There is a wave of anti-D propaganda going around so its important to be thorough in our accounts before blaming a cheap and effective tool for many. Independent experience is important but the reasons I've seen to not take vitamin D so far haven't held up water to the current evidence or Rays explanation of physiology. Vitamin D: Bioenergetic Wunderkind or Arbiter of Doom?

Dr. B

@LadyRae and @Dr. B it would be educational if you both wrote your experience in a vitamin D thread while recognizing any confounding variables. Already I see a lot of variables in Dr. Bs anecdote besides vitamin D. Worth noting is the supplement brand, time frame in between starting, stopping and testing (what was tested? Lab?) along with any other major changes to lifestyle.

There is a wave of anti-D propaganda going around so its important to be thorough in our accounts before blaming a cheap and effective tool for many. Independent experience is important but the reasons I've seen to not take vitamin D so far haven't held up water to the current evidence or Rays explanation of physiology. Vitamin D: Bioenergetic Wunderkind or Arbiter of Doom?

Vitamin D helps the body make, release, and use serotonin, including in the brain. However, the benefits of supplementation are uncertain [15, 16].

Vitamin D activates an enzyme that converts tryptophan into serotonin. If vitamin D levels are low, our brains make less serotonin. Thus, increasing vitamin D intake may increase serotonin levels, thereby potentially supporting mental health

While vitamin D helps neurons make serotonin, the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), and ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) may help neurons release serotonin, as well as increase its overall activity (such as by increasing the sensitivity of serotonin receptors)

While vitamin D helps neurons make serotonin, the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), and ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) may help neurons release serotonin, as well as increase its overall activity (such as by increasing the sensitivity of serotonin receptors)

the stuff mentioned there is exactly my experience, i get all the anti metabolic, pro serotonin effects from using vitamin D. even hair loss. the only time I got benefits from vitamin D was when I had already been using a 5000 IU vitamin A multivitamin daily for 3 years, and I continued using it but also added 5000 IU vitamin D3. but before I added in that D3, i was actually overweight from using antibiotics. and I highly suspect I didnt recover the weight gain from antibiotics doxycycline, because that 5000 IU vitamin A multivitamin was having an antimetabolic effect which adding in supplemental D helped correct. yet when I removed the A and continued D3 I again got anti metabolic effects. D3 causes hair loss, fatigue, joint pains, and lower body temps, zombified mental state for me.

fish oil and D3 are recommended by rheumatologists nowadays. also I think D3 raises cortisol either directly, or indirectly because of its affects on vitamin A.

the anti vitamin D propaganda is very fringe, far more fringe than anything on RPF. Dr Fauci himself was advising 5000 IU D3. every mainstream doctor and rheumatologist is advising vitamin D. I think its intentionally being suggested to cause issues. i dont think the oral D3 is interchangeable with sunlight, and dont think sunlight is really needed especially the lighter skinned you are. the lighter you are, probably the more side effects youll get from sunlight or oral d3.

i used naturewise brand 5000 IU d3, its cholecalficerol in organic EVOO. it seems to be the best brand. i dont think it has anything to do with impurities in the brand or product. i think oral D3 is depleting other stuff besides just vitamin A, K and magnesium.

What kinds of benefits? I believe you, as you can see above I quit supplementing too. Did you compare D levels before and after you quit supplementing? Do you sun yourself often?

I eat liver and heart, oysters, several x/week...take Idealabs' Kuinone...

i dont think the blood levels of d are reliable for supplementing but indicate general health.
when I had been using 5000 IU vitamin A for 3 years, followed by using both 5000 IU vitamin A and 5000 IU vitamin D3 for 2 years, I was in near peak metabolic health at that time, to the point I could easily wear a T shirt in cold winter and still be very warm, and could eat crazy 10,000 calorie cheatdays once a week and still stay very lean. my levels were 59 ng/ml or whatever the unit is, i think the range is 30-120.

when I had been using 10,000 IU d3 for 2 years, with no supplemental A, just 3000 IU dietary A daily, my levels tested at 30 ng/ml. my metabolic health was much poorer. I dont think lower levels means more should be supplemented or more sunlight is needed. and I think excess oral D contributes to lowering metabolism somehow. it causes the same symptoms that serotonin/cortisol cause, like a stupified slower mental state, feeling and acting like a very old man, among a lot of other things.

i dont sun myself often, sunlight remained consistently low throughout all these time periods. i just get minor sunlight on face and arms. maybe 10 minutes a day in summer time. im not sure its safe or worth using supplemental A and K just to better tolerate supplemental D. my concern is the supplemental A and K are acting against some other factor, nutrient or hormone besides the D. and even D itself, is acting against something besides just A and K i think. i did get all the hypercalcemia type symptoms from d3 too.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

My countrys database and cronometer both show pork having pretty low amounts of PUFA. About 1.5-2g of pufa in 100 grams of fatty pork. There is also lean pork which has a neglible amount of pufa, but high B1 etc
Well, if your country (which I assume isn't the US) still raises pork the same way with the same feed that they used when they did the database measurements for pork, then great. You don't have much to worry about.

But as both Peat and Brad have pointed out, the fat in pigs and chickens (like the fat in humans) reflects the fat in their diet, so, more PUFA in the diet, more PUFA in the fat. So, I would certainly think the pig fat in the US is going to have a lot more PUFA than is reported in the USDA database, and Cronometer. With the explosion in soy manufacturing and using soy in feed, I would suspect a lot of pig fat in other countries is lot more unsaturated than when the database, if they have started to add more soy to pig feed.

As for lean pork, Brad suggests that commercial pork trimmed of visible fat is likely fine, as would be chicken breast.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals