Brad Marshall's Presentation on PUFA, Obesity, Torpor and more.

tankasnowgod

I'm sure many here know the name Brad Marshall by now, but if you don't, he's the inventor of the Croissant Diet, runs the blog Fire In A Bottle, and also is creating low PUFA pork. In the following 50-ish minute presentation, he discusses why he thinks PUFA intake is the more likely culprit behind the Obesity epidemic rather than just "calories" or "food reward." He also shows how how PUFA can induce torpor and weight gain in many types of animals (and how this beneficial for any animal that hibernates), and also discusses how this relates to things like Stearic Acid, the SCD1 enzyme, and NAD+/NADH ratio. He really does a nice job of tying many of the popular concepts discussed on this forum together.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySB2me2YDH4

@haidut

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm sure many here know the name Brad Marshall by now, but if you don't, he's the inventor of the Croissant Diet, runs the blog Fire In A Bottle, and also is creating low PUFA pork. In the following 50-ish minute presentation, he discusses why he thinks PUFA intake is the more likely culprit behind the Obesity epidemic rather than just "calories" or "food reward." He also shows how how PUFA can induce torpor and weight gain in many types of animals (and how this beneficial for any animal that hibernates), and also discusses how this relates to things like Stearic Acid, the SCD1 enzyme, and NAD+/NADH ratio. He really does a nice job of tying many of the popular concepts discussed on this forum together.

@haidut

That was really interesting, thank you.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

....And, how about that? Apparently, as I was watching the earlier video of Brad's, this interview with Haidut and Brad Marshall (which I haven't watched yet) was apparently being uploaded to Youtube. Might deserve a thread of it's own, but I'm posting it here for now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjI0zQL7gaU

Lollipop2

@haidut

He is good. I want to purchase his bacon and I think he is even doing chickens now. I just have not had the extra these days but it is certainly on my list. I get his email. He is so honest and straight up.

Megamole

Just watched the video with Brad and Georgi, was fantastic. The host basically let them bounce off each other for two hours, answered a lot of questions I had

P

Peatness

Really enjoyed this talk. The starch eating Nigerians of 61 are nothing like the Nigerians of today

This is a pufa too far

From this article
Foods containing monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats can help lower cholesterol levels. These include canola, olive and peanut oils. Avoid coconut and palm oil.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilParma

Certain mammals use diet (in part) to bring on torpor/hibernation. My question is, what do they eat? Squirrels stereotypically store nuts; is that so that they can eat them in autumn for the PUFA, to bring on torpor?

In nature, what do bears eat in order to induce a state of hibernation? Also, what do they eat in the springtime when they emerge from hibernation, to dispense with the torpor? Is this the time in which they seek out honey, as stereotypically shown in media?

My internet searches aren't returning answers to these questions; all I'm seeing are popular articles saying, "BEARS EAT A LOT."

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Certain mammals use diet (in part) to bring on torpor/hibernation. My question is, what do they eat? Squirrels stereotypically store nuts; is that so that they can eat them in autumn for the PUFA, to bring on torpor?

In nature, what do bears eat in order to induce a state of hibernation? Also, what do they eat in the springtime when they emerge from hibernation, to dispense with the torpor? Is this the time in which they seek out honey, as stereotypically shown in media?

My internet searches aren't returning answers to these questions; all I'm seeing are popular articles saying, "BEARS EAT A LOT."

Um, did you listen to the presentation? There is a whole section on feeding squirrels in the lab varying amounts of PUFA. Those that ate 8% linoleic acid were able to get fat and hibernate. Those that only ate 1% blew through their entire fat stores in 8 days. What could be better evidence than that? I don't think squirrels or bears keep food diaries in the wild.

Did you try searching on Google Scholar instead of just normal search engines? I would think most here would know that normal searches don't bring up very useful info for the topics we are interested in.

PhilParma

Um, did you listen to the presentation?
Yeah
There is a whole section on feeding squirrels in the lab varying amounts of PUFA. Those that ate 8% linoleic acid were able to get fat and hibernate. Those that only ate 1% blew through their entire fat stores in 8 days. What could be better evidence than that?
You're right; case closed. Sorry for asking further questions. My sincerest apologies.

I don't think squirrels or bears keep food diaries in the wild.

Did you try searching on Google Scholar instead of just normal search engines?
So which is it? Bears don't keep food diaries, or I'll find it on Google Scholar? Obviously I'm a complete idiot either way, but just give me some clarity. Actually, you know what? I don't care. Good luck with your thread psycho.

sunny

I'm trying to find the first podcast to download. Is it anywhere besides YouTube?

DonLore

Bears eat salmon in the autumn..

Btw, pork isnt really that high in PUFA. Actually the amount is so low that I think avoiding pork because of some minimal PUFA content is stupid.

Forsythia

In nature, what do bears eat in order to induce a state of hibernation? Also, what do they eat in the springtime when they emerge from hibernation, to dispense with the torpor?
Bears gorge on salmon (pufa) in the fall and gorge on berries (sugar) in the spring.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Btw, pork isnt really that high in PUFA. Actually the amount is so low that I think avoiding pork because of some minimal PUFA content is stupid.
What are you basing that on? Numbers on the USDA database that may have been done decades ago, when feed was different?

Brad sent some commercial bacon for testing, and found it had 15% linoleic acid, which is quite high (and may mean that total PUFA content was higher). That's getting close to canola and peanut oil. It's certainly higher than Olive Oil's 10%, which is high enough that Peat suggests only using small amounts.

Linoleic Acid is only one kind of PUFA, so the total is probably close to 20%, and may be anywhere from 15-30%, depending on various factors. That's certainly not "low."

Sitaruîm

I think the tradeoff of pork's 15% linoleic acid to olive oil's 10% might be worthwhile considering how nutritious pork is. Isn't pork an unmatched source of thiamine, for example? I eat pork once a week and feel good doing so

PhilParma

Bears gorge on salmon (pufa) in the fall and gorge on berries (sugar) in the spring.
I was wondering more about black bears. This guy says that northeastern black bears gorge on acorns in the fall.

I wonder if bears find honey less appetizing in the autumn, since it seems like it would be counter productive to reaching torpor. But I suppose they just have an unlimited appetite at this time and whatever pufa laden food they eat later on will cancel out the metabolism stimulating effects of gorging on a beehive.

sweetpeat

was wondering more about black bears. This guy says that northeastern black bears gorge on acorns in the fall.
I live in the northeastern US. Acorns are usually quite abundant in the fall, and probably more accessible than honey. Not that a bear wouldn't take advantage of any honey they find, but acorns are literally all over the ground here in the fall.

DonLore

What are you basing that on? Numbers on the USDA database that may have been done decades ago, when feed was different?

Brad sent some commercial bacon for testing, and found it had 15% linoleic acid, which is quite high (and may mean that total PUFA content was higher). That's getting close to canola and peanut oil. It's certainly higher than Olive Oil's 10%, which is high enough that Peat suggests only using small amounts.

Linoleic Acid is only one kind of PUFA, so the total is probably close to 20%, and may be anywhere from 15-30%, depending on various factors. That's certainly not "low."
My countrys database and cronometer both show pork having pretty low amounts of PUFA. About 1.5-2g of pufa in 100 grams of fatty pork. There is also lean pork which has a neglible amount of pufa, but high B1 etc

DonLore

I think the tradeoff of pork's 15% linoleic acid to olive oil's 10% might be worthwhile considering how nutritious pork is. Isn't pork an unmatched source of thiamine, for example? I eat pork once a week and feel good doing so
Yeah, people are so focused on avoiding pufa that they start to eliminate peefectly healthy, natural foods. Lean pork would have so little pufa that it doesnt make any ******* difference. Its the vegetable oils that are the problems, not whole animal foods.

Lollipop2

Yeah, people are so focused on avoiding pufa that they start to eliminate peefectly healthy, natural foods. Lean pork would have so little pufa that it doesnt make any ******* difference. Its the vegetable oils that are the problems, not whole animal foods.
I tend to agree with you that the PUFA oils are the big problem and whole foods seem to be less so. My concern with pork is what they were fed. If milk and table scraps - yes I imagine they would contain very low PUFA. However, fed corn and soy to fatten them up quickly as in industrial “farms”, well….I think this could be a bigger problem even though pork is a whole food.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals