Bpa-free Plastic Just As Dangerous As One With Bpa

haidut

Forum Supporter
The dangers of the so-called plasticisers are well-known and have been known for decades. Despite the extensive research, FDA refuses to ban these chemicals that are banned in many other countries. I recently posted a study on the mechanism through which the plasticisers cause damage.
Plasticisers (bpa, Dehp) Boost Pufa, Estrogen, Cortisol & Block Glucose Oxidation | Ray Peat Forum

If you remember anything about these plasticisers let it be these two things - they are stronger estrogen agonists than estradiol and stronger thyroid antagonists that the fluoride drugs used for hyperthyroidism conditions.

The plastic industry tried to throw some dust in the public's eyes by switching to BPA-free products, but those contains the related chemical BPS, which (as the study below shows) is just as dangerous.

Chemical used to replace BPA in plastic accelerates embryonic development, disrupts reproductive system
"...However, bisphenol S, or BPS, a common replacement for BPA in plastics, has also been linked to health risks. New UCLA-led research demonstrates some of the mechanisms that make BPS just as harmful as BPA. The study found that BPS speeds up embryonic development and disrupts the reproductive system in animals. Reported in the Feb. 1 edition of the journal Endocrinology, the study is the first to examine the effects of BPA and BPS on brain cells and genes that control the growth and function of organs involved in reproduction. “Our study shows that making plastic products with BPA alternatives does not necessarily leave them safer,” said Nancy Wayne, the study’s senior author, a reproductive endocrinologist and professor of physiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. “Our findings are frightening — consider it the aquatic version of the canary in the coal mine.”"

Ras

If one cannot avoid plastics altogether, and it is unknown what additives companies put into their proprietary plastic formulas, which plastics can be considered the least worst?

meatbag

If one cannot avoid plastics altogether, and it is unknown what additives companies put into their proprietary plastic formulas, which plastics can be considered the least worst?

I think HDPE is okay....except...

" For example, one unstressed sample of an HDPE resin (P5 in Table 3) that had no detectable EA (i.e., RME2 < 15%) in two saline extracts and two EtOH extracts released chemicals with EA equivalent to 47% RME2 when extracted using EtOH after the resin was stressed with UV light. Similarly, two samples of low-density PE resins (LDPE resins 1 and 2) and PETG resins (PETG baby bottle and PETG resin 1) that had no detectable EA before stressing subsequently exhibited EA when stressed, especially by UV

"Many scientists believe that it is not appropriate to bet our health and that of future generations on an assumption that known cellular effects of chemicals having EA released from most plastics will have no severe adverse health effects (Gray 2008; Talsness et al. 2009; Thompson et al. 2009). Because we can identify existing, relatively inexpensive monomers and additives that do not exhibit EA, even when stressed, we believe that plastics having comparable physical properties but that do not release chemicals having detectable EA could be produced at minimal additional cost."

Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals: A Potential Health Problem That Can Be Solved

Whose down to join on for my plastic company...Peaty Plastics®?:tearsofjoy:

Fractality

I believe that the harmful effects of the plastics are amplified when the liquid within is hot and/or acidic.

I wonder if it would it be worth it to transfer the liquids (milk, oj, etc) commonly stored in plastic containers to a glass one?

Ras

I think HDPE is okay....except...

" For example, one unstressed sample of an HDPE resin (P5 in Table 3) that had no detectable EA (i.e., RME2 < 15%) in two saline extracts and two EtOH extracts released chemicals with EA equivalent to 47% RME2 when extracted using EtOH after the resin was stressed with UV light. Similarly, two samples of low-density PE resins (LDPE resins 1 and 2) and PETG resins (PETG baby bottle and PETG resin 1) that had no detectable EA before stressing subsequently exhibited EA when stressed, especially by UV

"Many scientists believe that it is not appropriate to bet our health and that of future generations on an assumption that known cellular effects of chemicals having EA released from most plastics will have no severe adverse health effects (Gray 2008; Talsness et al. 2009; Thompson et al. 2009). Because we can identify existing, relatively inexpensive monomers and additives that do not exhibit EA, even when stressed, we believe that plastics having comparable physical properties but that do not release chemicals having detectable EA could be produced at minimal additional cost."

Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals: A Potential Health Problem That Can Be Solved

Whose down to join on for my plastic company...Peaty Plastics®?:tearsofjoy:
Great. Thank you.

papaya

i went to a special dentist to get diamond lite/diamond crown fillings that r supposed to be a safe plastic but i'm sure that they're not. plus the dentist didn't didn't cure it properly and i tasted plastic for 3 days!

paymanz

i wonder what type of coke peat drinks, the ones in cans or plastic bottles?!

MB50

What does it take to cause leeching from a plastic product that can enter the bloodstream? Im guessing some sort of heat or moisture would be required? Can simple contact and the human body temperature cause absorption?

Also, any thoughts on using a clear dental retainer at night? Seems like enzymes and friction from grinding may be able to cause leeching from the plastic.

rei

PEN is probably the safest plastic but it is not very widely used.

Lilac

What does it take to cause leeching from a plastic product that can enter the bloodstream? I'm guessing some sort of heat or moisture would be required?

I remember reading somewhere that refrigerating a plastic bottle of water created more problems than leaving it at room temperature. So not just heat would be a problem. (I have no sources or specifics for that, so take that with a grain of salt.)

Why doesn't a water company like Poland Spring, which has home delivery, offer the glass water coolers of old? I remember visiting my relatives in California in the 1970s, and they had Sparkletts water delivered, in heavy glass vessels. Heck, even my office in New York had glass water coolers in the 2000s.

Amazoniac

- Are bioplastics and plant-based materials safer than conventional plastics? In vitro toxicity and chemical composition

Abstract said:
Plastics contain a complex mixture of known and unknown chemicals; some of which can be toxic. Bioplastics and plant-based materials are marketed as sustainable alternative to conventional plastics. However, little is known with regard to the chemicals they contain and the safety of these compounds. Thus, we extracted 43 everyday bio-based and/or biodegradable products as well as their precursors, covering mostly food contact materials made of nine material types, and characterized these extracts using in vitro bioassays and non-target high-resolution mass spectrometry. Two-third (67%) of the samples induced baseline toxicity, 42% oxidative stress, 23% antiandrogenicity and one sample estrogenicity. In total, we detected 41,395 chemical features with 186-20,965 features present in the individual samples. 80% of the extracts contained > 1000 features, most of them unique to one sample. We tentatively identified 343 priority compounds including monomers, oligomers, plastic additives, lubricants and non-intentionally added substances. Extracts from cellulose-and starch-based materials generally triggered a strong in vitro toxicity and contained most chemical features. The toxicological and chemical signatures of polyethylene (Bio-PE), polyethylene terephthalate (Bio-PET), polybutylene adipate terephthalate (PBAT), polybutylene succinate (PBS), polylactic acid (PLA), polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA) and bamboo-based materials varied with the respective product rather than the material. Toxicity was less prevalent and potent in raw materials than in final products. A comparison with conventional plastics indicates that bioplastics and plant-based materials are similarly toxic. This highlights the need to focus more on aspects of chemical safety when designing truly "better" plastic alternatives.

Xemnoraq

Does anyone else think its almost better to ditch milk alltogether due to the bpa containers? Even the cartons everyone thought was cardboard is lined with plastic.. You gotta consider the tradeoff, more milk in the diet for the metabolic rate and good nutrition but heavy plastic load? Or just ditch plastic milk containers all together and seek nutrition elsewhere, maybe get calcium from eggshells? Milk feels like it always raises my metabolic rate but then other times it feels extremely antithyroid and i can say it almost feels like i can taste the plastic in the milk? The solution is to get milk in glass bottles but they dont offer that where i live. Im thinking of just straight up ditching milk and juice like oj if it comes in a plastic container, im done with this plastic ***t and these big companies bull****, sick of their crap they keep pulling with this plastic ***t im ready to boycot it all, does anyone else have any thoughts to this in regards to milk in plastic containers