Bowel Sluggishness, Bowel Inflammation

dookie

Lately I have been experiencing what I best can describe as "bowel sluggishness". Not just constipation, but it seems like the digestive system isn't so active anymore. I can feel food just sitting in my stomach for hours, I sometime will have the flavor of the eaten food come up in my mouth hours after it was eaten. I think somehow the bowel is swollen, water-logged. Laxatives or fiber foods (carrots, bamboo..) don't really help. I mean they momentarily will induce a bowel movement, but the problem just returns instantly after. The digestive flow doesn't improve

Any ideas ? Anything you have found useful to get that "digestive spark" back, and to get the digestive juices going?

Peatful

First thought is food intolerance.

I had this for a few months from difficulty with digesting dairy fat.

Phages (Florassist) really helped me after I stopped dairy fat.

FredSonoma

question of a lifetime tbh !

this is probably the number one thing anyone still sick has issues with

theLaw

@dookie

Sounds like inflammation + low stomach acid.

A few ideas:

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

GERD (acid Reflux) Is Caused By Inflammation, Not Stomach Acid

Glycine - A "novel" Antiinflammatory Agent

Personally, I treated an ulcer, acid re-flux, and inflammation with the above protocols, but I think ditching starch and improving liver function is probably the most effective way to see real results.

Glycine works immediately for inflammation (20G), and the potato juice is great for digestion, but the just re-injuring the gut with problematic foods keeps most people in a vicious cycle of digestive distress.

Also, activated charcoal can get rid of pesky gut bacteria, but it's not a panacea.

In my experience, getting enough calories (almost always more then people think) + BCAAs while keeping meal-size small and limiting liquids is probably the best way to improve digestion.

Cheers! :D

alywest

@dookie

Sounds like inflammation + low stomach acid.

A few ideas:

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

GERD (acid Reflux) Is Caused By Inflammation, Not Stomach Acid

Glycine - A "novel" Antiinflammatory Agent

Personally, I treated an ulcer, acid re-flux, and inflammation with the above protocols, but I think ditching starch and improving liver function is probably the most effective way to see real results.

Glycine works immediately for inflammation (20G), and the potato juice is great for digestion, but the just re-injuring the gut with problematic foods keeps most people in a vicious cycle of digestive distress.

Also, activated charcoal can get rid of pesky gut bacteria, but it's not a panacea.

In my experience, getting enough calories (almost always more then people think) + BCAAs while keeping meal-size small and limiting liquids is probably the best way to improve digestion.

Cheers! :D

How do you limit liquids while drinking 2 qts of milk and 1 qt of oj? ;)

theLaw

How do you limit liquids while drinking 2 qts of milk and 1 qt of oj? ;)

Ha!

Many don't drink that much liquid, but it's easier when you get your metabolism in check.

I've listened to Peat's recommendation that you are referring to, and I think he means to add those to the diet over time, not all at once.

He's notorious for being vague when making dietary suggestions, but it's appears to be for good reason, hence the milk and oj questions.

Evandrojr

Lately I have been experiencing what I best can describe as "bowel sluggishness". Not just constipation, but it seems like the digestive system isn't so active anymore. I can feel food just sitting in my stomach for hours, I sometime will have the flavor of the eaten food come up in my mouth hours after it was eaten. I think somehow the bowel is swollen, water-logged. Laxatives or fiber foods (carrots, bamboo..) don't really help. I mean they momentarily will induce a bowel movement, but the problem just returns instantly after. The digestive flow doesn't improve

Any ideas ? Anything you have found useful to get that "digestive spark" back, and to get the digestive juices going?
@dookie, I was in a very similar situation and after a lot of trial and error to controlled experiments (as controlled as I could), I've reached the conclusion that, for me personally, the culprit is saturated fat. For about 6 months I tried this over and over, weeks at a time of moderate fat intake to very low fat, and now I'm 100% confident. Even our beloved coconut oil will make my entire GI tract sluggish. So I am now making an effort to keep SAFA very low, potassium relatively high, and most of my GI problems have gone away.