Bowel Movements

4peatssake

iLoveSugar said:
I go daily for the most part, it's just always dry and my abdomen hurts quite bad. Also more heartburn than lately. Going to a GI doc Tuesday, but I doubt I will leave there with any wisdom. Any help here would be great. Cascara doesn't work, nor does the carrot/bamboo. They all help me go, but not comfortably.
Have you tried oats? I just began experimenting with steel cut oats three days ago and within a day noticed a huge difference. Worked very fast and better (read faster transit) than anything I've used previously, including carrot and cascara.

Seems they are also Peat approved - if tolerated of course.

Ray Peat said:
“Because some estrogen is secreted In the bile, adequate fiber in the diet (oats, potato, or raw carrots, for example) and regular bowel function help to prevent the build-up of estrogen, which inhibits the thyroid.
Source

HDD

Magnesium softens my stools. I can only take a very small amount when i take it.Does it do that to you?

You have 3 things that could indicate you need magnesium. Hard stools, tight muscles, and not responding to thyroid.

Increasing salt helps to retain magnesium.

HDD

Funny you mentioned that, 4ps,I have been eating steel cut oats cooked overnight in the crockpot this week.

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
Funny you mentioned that, 4ps,I have been eating steel cut oats cooked overnight in the crockpot this week.
oooh, tell me how you prepare them in the crockpot overnight! Sounds like a plan! ;)

HDD

iLoveSugar said:
Aren't oats starchy?

Yes.

From "Ray Peat's Brain"-

"Masa harina (best), white rice or oats, and brown rice. The phytic acid in the oats block absorption of much of the calcium; cooking the oats much longer than usual might improve its nutritional value."

"For people with really sensitive intestines or bad bacteria, starch should be zero."

Filip1993

4peatssake said:
I hear ya HDD. I had that kind of experience with haidut's milk of magnesia and selzer water recipe. Explosive! :lol:
I hate running to the toilet!!

If you ever want to experiment with the tea, let me know and I'll send you some. I'm also going to try the cascara from Italy in the near future.

Ultimately, I think if the carrot salad does the, er, job, that's definitely the way to go. ;)

Did you try the cascara from italy? If so, how did you order it? Thanks.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I have; and noticed no difference with it. A friend on the facebook group "Ray Peat Inspired" had a relative in Italy that got it for her.

Strongbad

This is a big deal for me. I used to eat a lot of vegetables: kale, onions, bellpeppers etc. during my low-carb but PUFA days. Taking a soft, smooth dump was so easy back then. Then, since Danny Roddy recommended to avoid high fiber vegetables since they inflame intestines, the only vegetable I eat now is carrots. Now I constantly constipate daily :/ Maybe Danny is wrong in avoiding high-fiber food. Plus, Ray Peat avoids vegetables that are raised above grounds so the options are extremely few.

HDD

Strongbad said:
This is a big deal for me. I used to eat a lot of vegetables: kale, onions, bellpeppers etc. during my low-carb but PUFA days. Taking a soft, smooth dump was so easy back then. Then, since Danny Roddy recommended to avoid high fiber vegetables since they inflame intestines, the only vegetable I eat now is carrots. Now I constantly constipate daily :/ Maybe Danny is wrong in avoiding high-fiber food. Plus, Ray Peat avoids vegetables that are raised above grounds so the options are extremely few.

This was my experience in the beginning coming from a Paleo diet. I no longer have constipation and it is primarily due to increased metabolism. I eat well cooked kale, onions, peppers, zuchini, yellow squash, tomatoes and potatoes regularly. I have also found that cooked portabella mushrooms increase bowel movements more than raw carrot.

Jsaute21

I have been struggling with constipation for about a week. I haven't had issues for close to 9 months since switching to Peat. I have cut starches down in my diet (feel sharper and better overall without them) despite the constipation. I am hoping the constipation is at the result of switching climates (was in the Cayman Islands for a week two weeks ago and am now back in Chicago) opposed to cutting starches out. My diet is extremely low in fiber. (I used to poop 1-2 soft healthy movements a day, which has switched to close to 1 a day, but very hard and smaller. I also fear that cheese (a rumored constipator) is at play since i have upped it lately. I just find it hard to believe as my sugar intake is high, and micronutrients are decent as well.

Diet consists of the below:
Cottage Cheese
Cheddar Cheese
Sugar sweetened coke
sugar sweetened pepsi
cooked onions
beef
cooked kale
eggs
cheese sticks
haagan daaz coffee and vanilla
2%milk
Coffee

raypeatclips

@Jsaute21 I notice you didn't mention carrot or mushrooms. I was chronically constipated for about 3 years before eating both every day. I eat 1 raw carrot and around 150g boiled mushrooms every day at different times and bowl movements have never been better. They really do work. Either carrot or mushroom daily without the other was not as effective.

Jsaute21

Thanks @raypeatclips i need to be better about integrating the salad. I am just confused as i was not remotely constipated until cutting out starches the last week or two.

raypeatclips

Thanks @raypeatclips i need to be better about integrating the salad. I am just confused as i was not remotely constipated until cutting out starches the last week or two.

Doesn't seem a great deal of bulk in your diet, I struggle without starches too. I don't bother with the carrot salad, too time consuming and I'd never stick to it, just literally wash and eat. Sometimes buy carrot sticks from the shop if I'm in a rush and eat at work.

jaywills

Calcium to Magnesium ratio looks off; try increasing OJ relative to cheese and see what happens...

Another tool. Drink OJ alone in the morning. Sip 1L until noon. Ny 11am you should pass a stool. Leave the cheese for lunch or later in the day when your digestive capacity is stronger.

Jsaute21

yeah, smart @raypeatclips. Don't have the time to eat that salad either.

@jaywills I typically have half a liter of OJ upon waking in the AM. Sometimes slightly salt it. About 30 minutes later i have two eggs, with some cheddar and wash it down with a coffee and milk and good supplements.

I used to go regularly after this meal, and my whole system is off lately. Very strange/frustrating.

jaywills

Perhaps extend the eggs and cheese to later in the morning.

Side note, are you exercising more in recent weeks?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals