Bowel Movements - How many?

How many bowel movements do you have per day? (avgerage)

Votes: 25 41.0%

Votes: 13 21.3%

Votes: 15 24.6%

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters

reaching

I've recently cut back drastically on starches, eating them only every couple days.
I have been experiencing pretty good digestion and overall energy except for on days where I go to the gym, hence why I eat some rice or homemade corn tortillas on these days.
I have been eating more mushrooms and do the carrot salad when I can be bothered to.

So just a few questions for those interested in discussing:

1. What is your average transit time with mushrooms? I have noticed them being expelled from my body as fast as 4 hours. Perhaps this instance was from the mushrooms consumed two days ago but that doesn't make sense when I have about 5 bowel movements or so a day. For example, I ate mushrooms for dinner on Monday. On Tuesday no mushrooms and had about 4 or 5 bowel movemnets throughout the day (including carrot). Wednesday afternoon after eating mushrooms for breakfast, they are expelled from my body.

2. Since upping mushrooms and carrots and cutting out starch, extremely clean wipes. I feel pure and untainted.

3. Is 5 bowel movements a day excessive? I am eating throughout the day and its usually after one of my bigger meals I have a sizeable bowel movement but I have some others through out the day. Usually two in the morning, wake up first, and after breakfast walk, second. I feel good these days but I wonder if I am not absorbing my foot? I do not have loose movements unless I over do coconut oil or have too much liquids with my meals.

equipoise

If it's solid, well formed, with good colour to it, I wouldn't be worried. I feel my best with 4 BM's per day, but lately have 2 and that's still okay.
As long as you're regular every day and you got no gas,bloating problems I'd say you're golden

M

metabolizm

One a day, but I'm probably a bit hypothyroid. I think two or three times is a good sign.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
l think one after you wake up, and then one after every meal is optimal.

Last edited:

Vileplume

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been one a day. But I feel so much better when I have two. I’d love to make that the norm.

Since upping my intake of fiber, I go twice a day and feel much better like this. Before it was once a day, but it was more like diarrhea once a day lol. Also, a TMI warning, but now there is almost no smell, a great difference compared to before. I think it can only be a sign of less putrefaction going on.

I only started having consistent bowel movements since 2016, which is when I began supplementing magnesium. Before that, it was extreme constipation. No movement for days and even weeks was the norm, sadly.

I didn't notice any laxative effect from mushrooms, and carrots actually constipate me.

About you absorbing the food, are you gaining weight or maintaining it? If you are, then you should be absorbing enough, especially if your strength isn't decreasing over time. What is your diet like normally?

Apple

Since upping my intake of fiber, I go twice a day and feel much better like this. Before it was once a day, but it was more like diarrhea once a day lol. Also, a TMI warning, but now there is almost no smell, a great difference compared to before. I think it can only be a sign of less putrefaction going on.
What kind of fiber or fiber foods do you consume?

What kind of fiber or fiber foods do you consume?
Mostly plantains, leafy greens and tubers( all cooked). Plantains are the best source of fiber for me, even though they have some downsides, such as containing serotonin.

Fresh fruit is great for bowel movements, but the raw fiber in them causes gut pain, so I can't really eat them often. Every now and then I can get away with eating a papaya or some dried fruit, but it's more of a rare occurrence.

I was going to try psyllium, but I think it's better to get fiber from food, because it comes with a bunch of polyphenols and other substances which help to prevent excessive growth of pathogenic microbes.

Apple

Mostly plantains, leafy greens and tubers( all cooked). Plantains are the best source of fiber for me, even though they have some downsides, such as containing serotonin.

Fresh fruit is great for bowel movements, but the raw fiber in them causes gut pain, so I can't really eat them often. Every now and then I can get away with eating a papaya or some dried fruit, but it's more of a rare occurrence.

I was going to try psyllium, but I think it's better to get fiber from food, because it comes with a bunch of polyphenols and other substances which help to prevent excessive growth of pathogenic microbes.
Are plantains any different from bananas ? Bananas are much cheaper here.
As I know bananas rather slow down movement due to high amount of tannins.
I don't know about psyllium but wheat bran seems helpful (no need to worry about gluten in it unless you are super sensitive). And ray peat speaks well of it.

OP
R

reaching

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been one a day. But I feel so much better when I have two. I’d love to make that the norm.

Does it change depending on fiber intake or number of meals in a day?

OP
R

reaching

I only started having consistent bowel movements since 2016, which is when I began supplementing magnesium. Before that, it was extreme constipation. No movement for days and even weeks was the norm, sadly.

I didn't notice any laxative effect from mushrooms, and carrots actually constipate me.

About you absorbing the food, are you gaining weight or maintaining it? If you are, then you should be absorbing enough, especially if your strength isn't decreasing over time. What is your diet like normally?
Right now I eat about 4 to five “meals” a day. I try to do the 80 percent rule. I don’t eat to full satiation but to a comfortable 8@ percent and wait for my brain to catch up.

Lean chicken, ground beef, raw fish and shellfish, milk, protein/collagen shake, oranges, orange juice, apple juice, cottage cheese and cheeses.
I usually eat mushrooms at least once a day and do the carrot salad less consistently.
I also eat white rice on days that I go hard in the gym. I don’t feel like fruit or fruit juice gives me enough energy to do well in the gym. Oh and coconut oil! Less consistently but usually with one or two eggs in the morning.

I lost about 5kg initially but have been just maintaining for the past week.
I try not to over eat but hunger does increase with activity.
I have been eating this way for about a month.

Are plantains any different from bananas ? Bananas are much cheaper here.
As I know bananas rather slow down movement due to high amount of tannins.
I don't know about psyllium but wheat bran seems helpful (no need to worry about gluten in it unless you are super sensitive). And ray peat speaks well of it.
They are more concentrated in some nutrients than bananas, especially carbs( and calories as a consequence) and potassium, but bananas are also good. I much prefer the taste of plantains though, and they are easier to pan- fry. Here in Brazil, regular bananas are a little cheaper, but not by much.

I think the cooking of them very much changes their effects. Raw bananas give me a stomachache and do seem to have a constipating effect, but I have no problems if I pan- fry them or put them in the oven. I never tried eating raw plantain, but it probably would give more stomachache than bananas, because it tends to have more starch.

Wheat bran seems interesting. A lot of insoluble fiber there( in contrast to the soluble fiber of psyllium). Do you find it increases bowel frequency, or is it more like a bulking agent?

Right now I eat about 4 to five “meals” a day. I try to do the 80 percent rule. I don’t eat to full satiation but to a comfortable 8@ percent and wait for my brain to catch up.

Lean chicken, ground beef, raw fish and shellfish, milk, protein/collagen shake, oranges, orange juice, apple juice, cottage cheese and cheeses.
I usually eat mushrooms at least once a day and do the carrot salad less consistently.
I also eat white rice on days that I go hard in the gym. I don’t feel like fruit or fruit juice gives me enough energy to do well in the gym. Oh and coconut oil! Less consistently but usually with one or two eggs in the morning.

I lost about 5kg initially but have been just maintaining for the past week.
I try not to over eat but hunger does increase with activity.
I have been eating this way for about a month.
The diet looks good. Interesting that you eat raw fish.

That's a significant amount of weight. Do you think it was fat or water/ intestinal waste? If the weight stabilized though, then it should be fine. It could be a good idea to log the food amounts on cronometer( if you don't do that already, that is), since it's useful to get an estimation of how much calories one is taking in.

OP
R

reaching

The diet looks good. Interesting that you eat raw fish.

That's a significant amount of weight. Do you think it was fat or water/ intestinal waste? If the weight stabilized though, then it should be fine. It could be a good idea to log the food amounts on cronometer( if you don't do that already, that is), since it's useful to get an estimation of how much calories one is taking in.

I was eating a lot of raw beef before this but figured I would try something different.
I am trying to not rely so much of beef like I was before.
I think it was a lot of water weight because I don’t eat starch every day now. So maybe I’m not holding on to water as much. My stomach and face have thinned out a bit and I am not as bloated as before. I don’t think it was much fat that I lost.
I was doing chronometer at first but it made me too orthorexic about food and it was kind of tiring to keep track when I was eating so often. The only thing I focus on is getting enough protein now. I use fat for satiation and juices/fruit to maintain energy.
I might try chronometer again but with a different mindset. At first it was with the intent to lose weight but now I just want to be healthy and have good energy.

Vileplume

Does it change depending on fiber intake or number of meals in a day?
I think it comes down mostly to how quickly and easily the food is digested. Since I’m hypothyroid still, my body doesn’t digest any foods very quick, except super ripe honeydew and watermelon. With lots of those two in particular, I poop 2-3 times a day. But I can’t find them ripe year-round.

Increasing fiber from other sources hasn’t done much for my poop frequency, so I think increasing metabolism is the way forward. I’m just trying to be patient with that.

OccamzRazer

1. What is your average transit time with mushrooms? I have noticed them being expelled from my body as fast as 4 hours. Perhaps this instance was from the mushrooms consumed two days ago but that doesn't make sense when I have about 5 bowel movements or so a day. For example, I ate mushrooms for dinner on Monday. On Tuesday no mushrooms and had about 4 or 5 bowel movemnets throughout the day (including carrot). Wednesday afternoon after eating mushrooms for breakfast, they are expelled from my body.

2. Since upping mushrooms and carrots and cutting out starch, extremely clean wipes. I feel pure and untainted.

3. Is 5 bowel movements a day excessive? I am eating throughout the day and its usually after one of my bigger meals I have a sizeable bowel movement but I have some others through out the day. Usually two in the morning, wake up first, and after breakfast walk, second. I feel good these days but I wonder if I am not absorbing my foot? I do not have loose movements unless I over do coconut oil or have too much liquids with my meals.
1. Actually never noticed this...

2. Same! Mushrooms and carrots have made my digestion almost perfect.

3. Not sure if it's excessive. It does seem like a lot. If you're not losing weight then I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me. I feel best with 3 bowel movements a day, which is thankfully the norm these days. But perhaps having more would feel even better!

Another idea: seems like metabolic rate is way more important than fiber intake for bowel frequency. I eat way less fiber than before, but digestion is better than ever...

Apple

Wheat bran seems interesting. A lot of insoluble fiber there( in contrast to the soluble fiber of psyllium). Do you find it increases bowel frequency, or is it more like a bulking agent?
Wheat bran is rather a bulking agent. It doesn't weigh down my stomach unlike carrots and combines very well with white rice. I believe that washing and boiling it helps to reduce oxalates.

I was eating a lot of raw beef before this but figured I would try something different.
I am trying to not rely so much of beef like I was before.
I think it was a lot of water weight because I don’t eat starch every day now. So maybe I’m not holding on to water as much. My stomach and face have thinned out a bit and I am not as bloated as before. I don’t think it was much fat that I lost.
I was doing chronometer at first but it made me too orthorexic about food and it was kind of tiring to keep track when I was eating so often. The only thing I focus on is getting enough protein now. I use fat for satiation and juices/fruit to maintain energy.
I might try chronometer again but with a different mindset. At first it was with the intent to lose weight but now I just want to be healthy and have good energy.
That's a better mindset for sure. I personally only used cronometer every now and then. Following cravings( especially for natural foods) feels much better. Going just by cronometer indeed can make a person too rigid.
Wheat bran is rather a bulking agent. It doesn't weigh down my stomach unlike carrots and combines very well with white rice. I believe that washing and boiling it helps to reduce oxalates.
I see. So it must work best for people who already have a regular gut transit. Could be interesting to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals