Boswellia AKBA Suppresses Methionine Metabolism

aliml

Abstract​

Background​

Psoriasis is a common chronic inflammatory skin disease which lacks effective strategies for the treatment. Natural compounds with biological activities are good tools to identify new targets with therapeutic potentials. Acetyl-11-keto-β-boswellic acid (AKBA) is the most bioactive ingredient of Boswellia, a group of compounds with anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Target identification of AKBA and metabolomics analysis of psoriasis helped to elucidate the molecular mechanism underlying its effect, and provide new target(s) to treat the disease.

Methods​

To explore the targets and molecular mechanism of AKBA, we performed affinity purification, metabolomics analysis of HaCaT cells treated with AKBA, and epidermis of imiquimod (IMQ) induced mouse model of psoriasis and psoriasis patients.

Findings​

AKBA directly interacts with methionine adenosyltransferase 2A (MAT2A), inhibited its enzyme activity, decreased level of S-adenosylmethionine (SAM) and SAM/SAH ratio, and reprogrammed one‑carbon metabolism in HaCaT cells. Untargeted metabolomics of epidermis showed one‑carbon metabolism was activated in psoriasis patients. Topical use of AKBA improved inflammatory phenotype of IMQ induced psoriasis-like mouse model. Molecular docking and site-directed mutagenesis revealed AKBA bound to an allosteric site at the interface of MAT2A dimer.

Interpretation​

Our study extends the molecular mechanism of AKBA by revealing a new interacting protein MAT2A. And this leads us to find out the dysregulated one‑carbon metabolism in psoriasis, which indicates the therapeutic potential of AKBA in psoriasis.

akgrrrl

Was just reading the gas chromatograohy of 3 main species while I slathered b. Carterii distillate on my face and was burning some b. Frereana. About 6mo ago I scored some white Hojari from Oman, and started drinking water with it powdered(ran it thru my coffee bean grinder to a powder). Apparently thats the main way its been imbibed for centuries. It really is the most exotic smell and taste. And of course we know its other historical use was smudging all tents and homes to kill plagues

akgrrrl

Oops meant to attach this

Attachments

• 20220806_214257.jpg
    20220806_214257.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 23

LeeLemonoil

Good and fairly cheap extract powdered available meanwhile at DIY skincare shops for example.

It’s an anti-inflammatory gem. It’s influence on methionine metabolism is new to me and very intriguing. Same goes for one-carbon thingy.

Drareg

Health benefits[edit]​

The use of Boswellia resin for spiritual and medicinal purposes dates back to ancient civilizations. Numerous compounds of different chemical categories are identified in the resin; the pharmacological actions of Boswellia resin are attributed to the complementary effects exerted by these compounds. Clinical studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of frankincense resin in some disease conditions like asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel diseases, osteoarthritis, and relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.[33][34] The essential oil obtained from the oleogum resin of Boswellia serrata showed antimicrobial activities.[35][36] Also, in vivo studies on animals revealed that Frankincense oleogum resin exhibits neuroprotective activity.[37][

Nicole W.

I developed a plantar fibroma about 6 months ago from an injury I sustained from walking while wearing an ill-fitting sandal. I rubbed a little topical vitamin d mixed with a blend of three frankincense species (EO) twice a day for 2 months and it completely went away. Was very concerning at first because you can definitely feel the fibroma every time you put weight on the foot when you have one and it can impair walking any distance . I’m very grateful my little concoction worked.

Drareg

It doesn't look like the oil contains everything you need, the high grade resin is needed.

Nicole W.

There is frankincense oil and then there is boswellia, which is the word used for the genus as well as the extract.

I use the extract for pain usually, but the oil is good for many other things. I have a theory that frankincense acts a lot like progesterone in the body and may well be a type of phytoprogestin.

One day I tried to find a study or an article confirming this but the only thing I could find is a passing comment that it has been found to affect sex and thyroid hormones.

It seems to be helpful for a lot of estrogen dominance or menopausal symptoms. This has been my personal experience.

It is a mysterious substance but an effective one. When in doubt about how to address a health issue, I frequently resort to frankincense and am often pleasantly surprised with the result. It is always worth a try.

Grapelander

There is frankincense oil and then there is boswellia, which is the word used for the genus as well as the extract.

I use the extract for pain usually, but the oil is good for many other things. I have a theory that frankincense acts a lot like progesterone in the body and may well be a type of phytoprogestin.

One day I tried to find a study or an article confirming this but the only thing I could find is a passing comment that it has been found to affect sex and thyroid hormones.

It seems to be helpful for a lot of estrogen dominance or menopausal symptoms. This has been my personal experience.

It is a mysterious substance but an effective one. When in doubt about how to address a health issue, I frequently resort to frankincense and am often pleasantly surprised with the result. It is always worth a try.
Yes - I think quality frankincense oil would be the best way to go. It does feel progesterone-like - probably GABA promoting.
In Ayurveda they have ways to purify resins like boswellia and guggul (like boiling with Triphala and filtering) so they are not rough on the kidneys.
For boswellic acid I would go to Ayurvedic supplier.

Last edited:
milk and honey, good fruit, trehalose sugar = manna from heaven, and now frankincense being adding to the list of peaty things with biblical precedents