Boron—Essential To Ray Peat Health?

tara

Parsifal said:
post 106276 BTW how can we get only the water from the solid?
Pour hot water over brewers yeast, let it sit for a bit, strain/decant off liquid, discard solids. B-vits are water soluble (from functionalps). Maybe some other components are too. Not sure what form the potassium in the yeast is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

tara said:
Pour hot water over brewers yeast, let it sit for a bit, strain/decant off liquid, discard solids. B-vits are water soluble (from functionalps). Maybe some other components are too. Not sure what form the potassium in the yeast is.
Thanks tara, your posts are always very helpful :hattip!

tara

Parsifal said:
post 106282
tara said:
Thanks tara, your posts are always very helpful :hattip!
:hattip
But Peat only recommends this for people with diabetic issues, not as a general supplement for everyone, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JohnBonham

I've read a few times on this forum that Boron is strongly estrogenic. I'm not going to pretend to be an academic, but it seems this study shows the opposite. It looks like it raises Free Testosterone, DHT, and lowers inflammation. Although this came with an increase in cortisol for some reason. Here is the study:

Comparative effects of daily and weekly boron supplementation on plasma steroid hormones and proinflammatory cytokines. - PubMed - NCBI

I personally think Boron tends to be an overlooked mineral with a multitude of benefits, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say and if I'm missing something here!

Daimyo

Adding a bit of borax to my mineral mix raised my waking temp by about 0.3*C.

Next day after I took higher dose I felt not too good. Borax is a fungicide, so I thought it might kill too much bacteria/yest in my guts. After I lower my dose to about 60 mg of borax (about 5-7 mg of boron) I felt good.

BTW, I am wondering is higher estrogen level after taking boron is caused by estrogen leaving the tissues..?

I know a guy who increased his blood vitamin D levels after taking borax.

Edit: Added "D" to vitamin D

Last edited:
J

JohnBonham

That's really interesting, I'm glad to hear that it helps you! Have you tried just taking a regular boron supplement, Daimyo?

I just started taking it today, actually. It's my last hope to get rid of constant muscle twitches and spasms I've had for years. My Magnesium RBC levels were perfect, I gets lots of calcium and other electrolytes and I don't have any neurological issues. I really, really believe that boron is the last missing puzzle piece. I sure hope so.

Daimyo

I assume we need these. Not sure where to get molybdenum, but hoping the mushrooms I eat get me some chromium.
Hi tara,

molybdenum is a very "crop yields promoting" micronutrient. Considering it's relatively cheep (for the quantities used on fields/pastures), you rather don't need to be afraid of Mo deficiency. Excess of Mo cause nasty copper deficiency, that can't be even fixed with copper.

A Kiwi farmer - Brown Trotter reported in his book that, that tungsten (W) and vanadium (V) are (according to him) healthier replacements than molybdenum. If given choice sheep will graze land fertilized with W and V first, although the one fertilized with Mo will give higher yields.

tara

A Kiwi farmer - Brown Trotter reported in his book that, that tungsten (W) and vanadium (V) are (according to him) healthier replacements than molybdenum. If given choice sheep will graze land fertilized with W and V first, although the one fertilized with Mo will give higher yields.
Ha. Didn't know we had any internal use for the tungsten and vanadium.

If Professor Kays likes it, I'm on board.

supernature

... Excess of Mo cause nasty copper deficiency, that can't be even fixed with copper ...

Here a quote from RP about Molybdenum

"Black sheep will produce white wool if they are fed an
excess of molybdenum. This is supposedly caused by a
displacement of copper. I think we probably accumulate too
much of the wrong metals, such as iron, with aging and stress.
"

I read in some article that sulfur, iron in presence of molybdenum and lack of copper make compound thiomolybdate which is what it stands behind molybdenum toxicity. It was said it binds to copper dependant enzymes and makes them inactive, which shows as a discoloration in the wool of some animals, i assume its the same in men.

The funny part about clinical signs of copper deficiency as discoloration of the wool are actually the result of too much Mo or Fe or lack of enough Cu and as this is all cosmetic, the actual lack of bioavailable Copper is what is scary as the copper is involved in so many and important enzymes, proteins and body functions.

Its said lack of bioavailable Copper is affecting negatively enzymes like: Ceruloplasmin, Cytochrome C Oxidase (ATP of the cells), PAM enzyme (peptidylglycine α-amidating monooxygenase - responsible for secretion of hormones, peptides and neurotransmitters), Superoxide Dismutase, Tyrosine Oxidase enzymes. So with those enzymes inactivated, the body is left with no armour.

Heres a study that shows the enzyme inhibiting properties of Molybdenum excess - Thiomolybdates, and while its bad at same time it could be good as is used in treatment of Wilsons Disease as a strong Copper chelating substance.

Thiomolybdates: mediators of molybdenum toxicity and enzyme inhibitors. - PubMed - NCBI
"The evidence for a role for thiomolybdates in the important ruminant disease syndromes of molybdenosis and Mo-induced hypocuprosis is outlined and present knowledge of their chemistry and metabolism in vivo is reviewed in an attempt to provide a less empirical basis for their toxicology. The compounds are novel enzyme inhibitors in vitro and have also been used therapeutically, apparently successfully, in the treatment of Wilson's disease. While the changes which occur in vivo are complex they can be best understood in terms of an alteration in the affinities for copper of some of the competing ligands, including albumin, which leads to a change in the distribution of copper between the different systemic pools and an overall depletion."

Last edited:
OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Boron is HIGHLY estrogenic. The bodybuilding community was crazy about it in the 1990s, but then they found out first hand that it raises estrogen (I think all 3 types) and dumped it. Boron has similar effects to cadmium, nickel, cobalt, etc and they are all estrogenic and carcinogenic in higher doses.
Peat is right that unless you are deficient you'd better not mess with it. See below for a study in men.

The effect of boron supplementation on its urinary excretion and selected cardiovascular risk factors in healthy male subjects - Springer

"...Supplementation with 10 mg B/d for 4 wk resulted in 84% of the supplemented dose being recovered in the urine. Plasma estradiol concentrations increased significantly as a result of supplementation (51.9±21.4 to 73.9±22.2 pmol/L;p<0.004) and there was a trend for plasma testosterone levels to be increased. However, there was no difference in plasma lipids or the oxidizability of low-density lipoprotein Our studies suggest that the absorption efficiency of B is very high and estimation of the urinary B concentration may provide a useful reflection of B intake. In addition, the elevation of endogenous estrogen as a result of supplementation suggests a protective role for B in atherosclerosis."

Generally I'm inclined to agree with everything he says, but more so when he's got an explanation behind it. He is very good at understanding biological processes. I stopped taking it after your post, but I ran across this study that shows the opposite, lowering estrogen and increasing testosterone. What do you make of it?

Comparative effects of daily and weekly boron supplementation on plasma steroid hormones and proinflammatory cytokines. - PubMed - NCBI

paymanz

with ray's respond about boron i think it just tell us its important to keep variation in the diet, especially vegetables is important.
for example spinach:
Mineral contents of some plants used in Iran
the values are based on dry matter.
PR-2-267-g002.jpg

Above&Beyond

Futureceuticals manufactuers a compound called calcium fructoborate. This compound has shown in several research studies to have a vast array of benificial effects on the body. Everything from building bone, regulating vitamin d, antioxidant qualities, and even causing apoptosis in some cancers. What do you guys think of this compound?

"Calcium fructoborate,as a dietary supplement is a patented compound composed of calcium bound to boron (from plants). The boron molecule is linked to two fructose molecules (from fruit, nuts and legumes), creating a unique natural chelate of all three nutrients. This carbohydrate/boron structure has an enhanced ability to guide and connect boron to appropriate cell membrane receptors. It naturally regulates parathyroid function to support healthier levels of calcium, vitamin D, estrogen, and testosterone, thereby helping to offset typical problems of aging. It also helps reduce vitamin D elimination from your body and can even improve vitamin D status by itself."
Calcium Fructoborate: A Novel Nutrient for Bones & Joints

More studies

Calcium fructoborate: plant-based dietary boron for human nutrition. - PubMed - NCBI

1: Miljkovic D, Scorei RI, Cimpoiaşu VM, Scorei ID. Calcium fructoborate:
plant-based dietary boron for human nutrition. J Diet Suppl. 2009;6(3):211-26.
doi: 10.1080/19390210903070772. Review. PubMed PMID: 22435474.

Luann

I took it for a few days, after which, my teeth stopped bleeding, which they had done for years. Forgot to take it for a while. Teeth bleeding agin, thanks for the reminder to take again

Although, yikes Boron—Essential To Ray Peat Health?

Last edited:
OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Borax is the easiest proven safe way to get supplemental boron.

Supplemental boron is actually bad for your health and seems to actually be esteogenic. I suspect the few studies which show an increase in testosterone (and stress hormones like cortisol) is the body's response to restore testosterone suppression rather than a beneficent increase, much the way cold exposure raises testosterone. My own experience from taking boron was negative. I felt stressed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals