Bored

Centsmom

Does anyone else get bored with the dietary choices following Ray Peat ? How do you deal with that ? I am used to cooking a variety of different meals . With this diet I get so bored and have to force myself to eat meat , when I really just want some starch .

ReSTART

You don't have to avoid starch.
Assuming you can digest them well, potatoes are perfectly fine.

Aspekt

You're probably eliminating more foods than you need to be. This is the trouble with calling it a diet. Eat for your metabolic rate, not specific foods.

paymanz

Why force yourself to eat meat? Ray's diet is not that heavy on meat.

What about fruits, bone broth/gelatin, milk,liver(not everyday) ,have you included them in your diet?

BTW as others said, starch is last thing to eliminate , and you avoid starch only if you have enough sugar(from fruit and fruit juices, and milk),otherwise starches has great value, you need most of your calories intake as carbohydrates.

OP
Centsmom

Centsmom

Yes , I do drink broth , milk and eat liver . I had to lay off geletain , as it was causing me problems . Juice was also problematic for me I can't find fresh fruit here much :-(. That's probably a lot of my problem with boredom .

paymanz

Yes good fruits are not accessible all time ,unfortunately!

Go for white rice, potato, low fat milk.that's what I do most of time.

OP
Centsmom

Centsmom

Thanks , that helps ! Has anyone had a good experience with frozen fruit and or canned ?

paymanz

I make cooked apple sometimes, easy recipe, a lot of sugar,tastes great.

I Boil peeled apples in water and sugar, for 20-30 minutes.

Last edited:

nikolabeacon

This is "hidden" problem and stressor for many people. You dont want to become enslaved with recommendations because that will build up "fear" of more freely and palatable eating. And it will supress thyroid and other protective hormones. You will stubbornly going to try eating" insanely clean" , ,"free of allergens and gluten", and too narrow choice of foods.

Only if you have serious bacterial overgrowth you need to be very rigorous abot details. Otherwise you have great chance of becoming constipated( another new stress after boredom).

I Cook real tasty dishes (savory and sweet) with meat , vegetables, fruit, potatoes, white rice, white rice and wheat flour( for lighter pastries, dumplings ,etc.). And I dont have any single problem. Tons of delicious recipes.

Use saffer spices( sweet paprika, soy sauce, cinnamon, thyme, onions). And watch if something is really bothering you.

You have milk, sugar, carrot ad mushrooms to protect the system and gut from potential allergens.

When you eat tasty and delicious foods ... all" potential problems" will be greatly reduced... if not completely .

It is very similar fear as fear of dirt and germs( which then follows stubborn washing with chemicals and destroying endocrine balance and immune system)

Last edited:
Does anyone else get bored with the dietary choices following Ray Peat ? How do you deal with that ? I am used to cooking a variety of different meals . With this diet I get so bored and have to force myself to eat meat , when I really just want some starch .
so boring. i agree .... i would rather fast sometimes, its more fun.