Borderline Hypothyroid, Histamine Intolerance? Leaky Gut? Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO?? Need Help

Background/Intro:

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and to most of Peat's ideas, I was Keto/Paleo with elements of Primal (raw eggs/raw dairy) until I stopped being able to tolerate raw milk/yogurt, the only dairy I have now is raw butter, I've been having some health issues recently on top of the problems I had before (hairloss/low T/low libido) I was on Finasteride from Feb 2020 to Nov 2020 after I started to feel asexual/more depressed than usual. I'm 5'9", male, 20 years old, ~148 pounds, I've had symptoms of hypothyroid and have been Vitamin D deficient since mid high school, but my TSH is only now above 3. I only started really looking into my health/what I should eat this summer over quarantine, fell down keto/paleo/primal rabbit hole but now I realize I need carbs to help with my libido and well being, I'm also too paranoid to try raw meat besides rare sushi/oysters, so I was really just drinking too much raw milk/eggs. I became underweight at the end of my Sophomore year of high school because I people to like me, it worked, but I've ruined my health and have poor eating behaviors, self loathing, blah blah blah.

Symptoms/Problems:

I need help getting my problems under control, I'm asking for anyone's help, I just want to prevent things from getting worse since I've been experiencing strange symptoms.

-Sudden painful lactose intolerance (before it only caused me occasional gas/bloating/diarrhea but it wasn't bad enough to make me that worried, Store bought milk was never a problem)
-Shellfish allergy (got hives on my leg after a pound of shrimp, never had this problem before)
-Allergic to raw eggs? (I try using egg as shampoo and I get red spots on my skin where it came in contact, slight burning, sneezing... I seem to be able to eat them without allergic reaction)
-Persistent pungent body odor which smells like sulfur (Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO??) It lessens when I don't eat sulfuric foods, used to just smell like dirty gym clothes a year ago, in past 6 months I now smell like sulfur
-breath also smells like sulfur
-Brainfog recently
-Vitamin D deficiency/High TSH (3.3)
-Continued hairloss (probably from stopping Finasteride/not eating enough/Borderline Hypo/Vit D deficiency/inflammation)
-started microneedling (1.5mm) per week
-Low libido, started at the end of Senior year, got bad in college, got worse after a few months on Fin (3/10 but its improved significantly compared to the summer/late fall, still my morning wood is weak, though it tries to achieve a stronger erection but it can't)
-Fatigue (rarely feel rested, but I also stay up late intentionally on my phone often)
-random spleen/right kidney pain on occasion, only something i've noticed past 2 weeks
-Constipated (infrequent bowel movements, but not uncomfortable or painful, its gotten better recently with carrot salad)

TLDR for Symptoms: Sudden allergies/Low libido/Brainfog/Sulfur BO

My diet has been changing a lot recently and I've been eating less because I'm trying to figure out wtf is wrong.
As of today:

Chicken, White Rice, Oranges, Raw carrot, Raw butter (sometimes), Raw Honey, San Pellegrino

I'm in the process of kicking out all processed foods/PUFA oils again, I'm trying to get my hands on some liver, as well as Bone Broth, steamed white mushrooms, etc. Any advice as to what to do, I really want to solve what I think to be a gut issue (BO, as well as what seems to be Histamine Intolerance??) then -> libido (thyroid/vit D/calories) -> then regrow some hair (thyroid/vit D/calories). I'm ready to take responsibility for what I've done to myself, I regret it everyday, if you guys have any experience with these things please share, I hate to be a nuisance but idk anywhere else I could get the kind of information I need from. Thank you in advance.

BLOODWORK QUESTIONS:
Unfortunately they messed up and didn't test my T or Free T, so hard to get a good picture of the other hormones. Some questions, what should my DHT levels be? Are my prolactin levels too high? High cholesterol a problem, my endocrinologist said so but I'm unsure if its a big deal? See anything else I should be aware of?

Attachments

• results-page-009 (1).jpg
    results-page-009 (1).jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 48
  • results-page-005 (1).jpg
    results-page-005 (1).jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 42
  • results-page-006 (1).jpg
    results-page-006 (1).jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 35
  • results-page-007 (1).jpg
    results-page-007 (1).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 37
  • results-page-008 (1).jpg
    results-page-008 (1).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 33
  • results-page-011 (1).jpg
    results-page-011 (1).jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 32
  • results-page-010 (1).jpg
    results-page-010 (1).jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 50
OP
beeohbeebeewhy
I appreciate the reply, I went thru the comments, I guess I should go to a gastro and get a breath/stool test for SIBO as well as to see where my micro gut biome is at. Fortunately my situation isn't as bad as these guys, I'd say my biggest problem is simply the body odor, and I'd definitely like to get rid of the brainfog which could be worse but I'd like to nip things in the butt before I'm actually suffering like they are. Its possible I have a poor microbiome, I had appendicitis, plus took antibiotics for ear infections as a kid, etc. I had really bad anxiety after my appendectomy which I'm starting to think was related to that as well as the antibiotics. I'm going to do some more research on antibiotics though if the raw carrot salad/mushrooms don't help.

Last edited:

meatbag

I appreciate the reply, I went thru the comments, I guess I should go to a gastro and get a breath/stool test for SIBO as well as to see where my micro gut biome is at. Fortunately my situation isn't as bad as these guys, I'd say my biggest problem is simply the body odor, and I'd definitely like to get rid of the brainfog which could be worse but I'd like to nip things in the butt before I'm actually suffering like they are.
I had similar problems a few years ago. Aspirin, niacinamide, antibiotics, vitamin d, and trying to raise my temps and pulse helped a lot;
Temperature and Pulse Basics & Monthly Log – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

The Danny Roddy Weblog

High Estrogen (not Low T) Causes Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Chronic Fatigue

Fatigue & Brain Fog

Perry Staltic

I appreciate the reply, I went thru the comments, I guess I should go to a gastro and get a breath/stool test for SIBO as well as to see where my micro gut biome is at. Fortunately my situation isn't as bad as these guys, I'd say my biggest problem is simply the body odor, and I'd definitely like to get rid of the brainfog which could be worse but I'd like to nip things in the butt before I'm actually suffering like they are. Its possible I have a poor microbiome, I had appendicitis, plus took antibiotics for ear infections as a kid, etc. I had really bad anxiety after my appendectomy which I'm starting to think was related to that as well as the antibiotics. I'm going to do some more research on antibiotics though if the raw carrot salad/mushrooms don't help.

Whenever I hear someone mention brain fog I think D-lactate. Research it, you might find something helpful.

mostlylurking

I've had a long history of gut issues including leaky gut and SIBO. Things got better for me after I adequately addressed my hypothyroidism. If you are hypothyroid, you can't heal or deal with the turn over of fast regenerating organs like the digestive tract or the skin. It's a matter of not having enough cellular energy to repair things.

I've learned recently that the same issue applies to thiamine deficiency. If you are deficient in thiamine or if your thiamine function is blocked you get in the same situation because you can't make ATP; you are stuck making lactic acid instead. Many pharmaceutical drugs will block thiamine function. It has been my experience that this function blockage from a pharmaceutical drug does not just "go away" when the drug is stopped. For me, high dose thiamine (plus b-complex and magnesium) helped enormously.

Eating shredded raw carrot salad or well cooked mushrooms everyday helps a lot. It scrapes the bacteria off of the gut lining so that some other less virulent variety can set up shop there. Nature hates a vacuum; there will always be gut bacteria, the carrot salad & mushrooms help the less bad ones take up residence in locations best suited for them.

Leaky gut causes endotoxin to get into the bloodstream in great abundance. It causes brain fog. Thiamine deficiency causes brain fog too. Be sure to take magnesium with the thiamine.

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
I've had a long history of gut issues including leaky gut and SIBO. Things got better for me after I adequately addressed my hypothyroidism. If you are hypothyroid, you can't heal or deal with the turn over of fast regenerating organs like the digestive tract or the skin. It's a matter of not having enough cellular energy to repair things.

I've learned recently that the same issue applies to thiamine deficiency. If you are deficient in thiamine or if your thiamine function is blocked you get in the same situation because you can't make ATP; you are stuck making lactic acid instead. Many pharmaceutical drugs will block thiamine function. It has been my experience that this function blockage from a pharmaceutical drug does not just "go away" when the drug is stopped. For me, high dose thiamine (plus b-complex and magnesium) helped enormously.

Eating shredded raw carrot salad or well cooked mushrooms everyday helps a lot. It scrapes the bacteria off of the gut lining so that some other less virulent variety can set up shop there. Nature hates a vacuum; there will always be gut bacteria, the carrot salad & mushrooms help the less bad ones take up residence in locations best suited for them.

Leaky gut causes endotoxin to get into the bloodstream in great abundance. It causes brain fog. Thiamine deficiency causes brain fog too. Be sure to take magnesium with the thiamine.
Thank you so much man:sob:, I appreciate you spelling things out for me, I'm definitely going to add the white button mushrooms to my carrot salad. Do you think supplementing thiamine is absolutely necessary or is getting it from animal products sufficient? What mag supplement would you recommend? I was using mag glycinate for a while but I got sick of the taste as well as it giving me occasional headaches. I'll report back to this thread when I see progress.

OP
beeohbeebeewhy

I recently started listening to Danny Roddy' stuff, I'll be sure to listen to the podcast episode you linked as well as the other stuff you linked, thank you for all the info man, I feel bad about basically asking people to spoonfeed me, but again I really appreciate it.

mostlylurking

Thank you so much man:sob:, I appreciate you spelling things out for me, I'm definitely going to add the white button mushrooms to my carrot salad. Do you think supplementing thiamine is absolutely necessary or is getting it from animal products sufficient? What mag supplement would you recommend? I was using mag glycinate for a while but I got sick of the taste as well as it giving me occasional headaches. I'll report back to this thread when I see progress.
You have to cook the mushrooms at least an hour; do not eat them raw. Something about cyanide; the cooking does away with the cyanide.

Yes, if you are trying to heal your gut lining so you don't have tiny tiny globs of poop floating around in your blood (been there, done that) it's a really good idea to supplement with some thiamine and some magnesium. I use thiamine hcl, dissolved in water and I use magnesium glycinate. I put my magnesium in orange juice. The orange juice provides potassium, which you also need more of if you are supplementing with thiamine.

meatbag

I recently started listening to Danny Roddy' stuff, I'll be sure to listen to the podcast episode you linked as well as the other stuff you linked, thank you for all the info man, I feel bad about basically asking people to spoonfeed me, but again I really appreciate it.
No problem. Most helpful resources for me have been functionalps website, Danny Roddy, and haiduts posts.

ray peats info is really good but even if your studies in biology and chemistry it can take awhile to figure out

the interview transcripts are a good reference too

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
You have to cook the mushrooms at least an hour; do not eat them raw. Something about cyanide; the cooking does away with the cyanide.

Yes, if you are trying to heal your gut lining so you don't have tiny tiny globs of poop floating around in your blood (been there, done that) it's a really good idea to supplement with some thiamine and some magnesium. I use thiamine hcl, dissolved in water and I use magnesium glycinate. I put my magnesium in orange juice. The orange juice provides potassium, which you also need more of if you are supplementing with thiamine.
I'll try out thiamine supplementation, I just watched a video explaining why megadosing thiamine helps with thiamine "deficiency" despite adequate levels of B1 intake, are you aware of any problems that come with megadosing thiamine? Also what kind of OJ do you drink?

mostlylurking

I'll try out thiamine supplementation, I just watched a video explaining why megadosing thiamine helps with thiamine "deficiency" despite adequate levels of B1 intake, are you aware of any problems that come with megadosing thiamine? Also what kind of OJ do you drink?
I buy my local grocery store's organic orange juice, no pulp. It is my understanding that thiamine supplementation is pretty safe but some people have negative reactions that have to be addressed. I think this youtube channel has good videos about thiamine: https://www.youtube.com/c/EONutrition/videos The most recent video is on side effects. Elliot Overton likes to recommend TTFD thiamine to his patients. I chose to use thiamine hcl instead because the TTFD gave me a headache. Elliot Overton also has a website here: Articles | Stafford | EONutrition

This article might be helpful: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

This video with Dr. Chandler Marrs was helpful to me:

She also has a website: Hormones Mattter I found her information about thiamine to be helpful.

In addition to magnesium and orange juice for the potassium, I think it's important to also take a good b-complex when supplementing extra thiamine.

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
I buy my local grocery store's organic orange juice, no pulp. It is my understanding that thiamine supplementation is pretty safe but some people have negative reactions that have to be addressed. I think this youtube channel has good videos about thiamine: https://www.youtube.com/c/EONutrition/videos The most recent video is on side effects. Elliot Overton likes to recommend TTFD thiamine to his patients. I chose to use thiamine hcl instead because the TTFD gave me a headache. Elliot Overton also has a website here: Articles | Stafford | EONutrition

This article might be helpful: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

This video with Dr. Chandler Marrs was helpful to me:

She also has a website: Hormones Mattter I found her information about thiamine to be helpful.

In addition to magnesium and orange juice for the potassium, I think it's important to also take a good b-complex when supplementing extra thiamine.

I've heard that, as you've said, potassium is one of the necessary cofactors as well as magnesium as to help prevent side effects, and yes Elliot Overton has been very helpful I've watched a few of his videos. I'll look into the b-complex, hopefully one of grocery stores around here has some decent OJ. And dude that article you linked about Thiamine and SIBO is crazy, I'm starting to view my current symptoms not as being caused by drinking too much raw milk and instead as metabolic dysfunction, you've given me renewed hope that all I need to do is fix my metabolism and support overall health to resolve these things, really appreciate it.

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
No problem. Most helpful resources for me have been functionalps website, Danny Roddy, and haiduts posts.

ray peats info is really good but even if your studies in biology and chemistry it can take awhile to figure out

the interview transcripts are a good reference too
I'm not the smartest cookie so it'll take me a while to understand what Ray means in his articles and lectures, I'll try to make a good effort tho :thumbsup:

mostlylurking

I've heard that, as you've said, potassium is one of the necessary cofactors as well as magnesium as to help prevent side effects, and yes Elliot Overton has been very helpful I've watched a few of his videos. I'll look into the b-complex, hopefully one of grocery stores around here has some decent OJ. And dude that article you linked about Thiamine and SIBO is crazy, I'm starting to view my current symptoms not as being caused by drinking too much raw milk and instead as metabolic dysfunction, you've given me renewed hope that all I need to do is fix my metabolism and support overall health to resolve these things, really appreciate it.
you're welcome.

I also found Dr. Costantini's site very helpful: HDT Therapy You may think that this isn't pertinent because Dr. Costantini's focus was to treat Parkinson's disease patients, but there is a correlation between gut dysbiosis and Parkinson's disease; people start off with gut issues and wind up with Parkinson's. Both are successfully treated with thiamine.

meatbag

Whenever I hear someone mention brain fog I think D-lactate. Research it, you might find something helpful.
I think you're right. I remember whenever I would eat food like yogurt or kefir I would get brain fog, probably from the lactic acid. Probably bacteria in people's guts contributing to their brainfog

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
I think you're right. I remember whenever I would eat food like yogurt or kefir I would get brain fog, probably from the lactic acid. Probably bacteria in people's guts contributing to their brainfog
@Perry Staltic @meatbag https://oley.org/page/DLacticAcidosis This article has some interesting insights (mentions Thiamine as beneficial, which is good), over the past couple weeks there's been a few times where I feel high/drunk after a meal, different from the brainfog, and there's been a few times where I was confused. The article says to reduce probiotic intake so I'll stay away from kimchi and raw dairy, I don't remember having any mental impairment after the yogurt/kefir/milk tho, maybe D-Lactate took root when I was eating these foods regularly and is just now affecting me, hard to say, I don't think I can afford to cut down too much on my carb consumption though I'm not trying to do Keto again. I'm assuming raw butter is also a problem since I just use the raw cream to make it, do y'all think I should ditch it and stick to kerrygold, I haven't noticed any problems with the raw butter?

I've also smelled like lactic acid a few times recently, so maybe it is related to D-lactate.

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

I don't remember having any mental impairment after the yogurt/kefir/milk tho, maybe D-Lactate took root when I was eating these foods regularly and is just now affecting me, hard to say,

Don't know what strains kefir has, but most store bought yogurts have acidophilus which produces a lot of D-lactate. To avoid that I make my own with other strains (s. thermophilus, l. bulgaricus) that don't produce any or much D-lactate, and I seem to do very well with it. I also take probiotics that only or mostly produce L-lactate or acetate, and so far things seem to be working well.