Boosting metabolism causes huge stress reaction in very well fed body

BearWithMe

I'm eating 400-500g of sugar and 200-250g of protein every day. Around 3000 kcal daily. All good quality, Peaty foods. Oranges, raisins, milk, cheese, organ meats. I'm eating every hour or so.

Yet I can't handle even the slightest metabolic boost.

100mg of caffeine, 50mg of niacinamide, 150mg of aspirin or a nibble of thyroid makes me wired, jittery, anxious, unable to focus and unable to sleep for hours.

Why is my metabolism still such a mess even though I'm consistently eating super-nutritious diet for a very long time?

Lollipop2

Maybe your metabolism does not need boosting? Thus the body’s natural response against these substances. How does a cup of coffee with milk and sugar do in your system? Do you get that same stress response from one cup? What are your temps and pulse?

Mauritio

Low glycogen storage.

I reacted similarly to pro-metabolic substances when I was deficient in B vitamins, especially B1. I have at least partly fixed this problem by supplementing B vitamins and eating beef liver, but I still get bad stress reactions to small amounts of thyroid.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm eating 400-500g of sugar and 200-250g of protein every day. Around 3000 kcal daily. All good quality, Peaty foods. Oranges, raisins, milk, cheese, organ meats. I'm eating every hour or so.

Yet I can't handle even the slightest metabolic boost.

100mg of caffeine, 50mg of niacinamide, 150mg of aspirin or a nibble of thyroid makes me wired, jittery, anxious, unable to focus and unable to sleep for hours.

Why is my metabolism still such a mess even though I'm consistently eating super-nutritious diet for a very long time?
Have you tried pro-GABA things, like progesterone and see if that buffers the effects you get from caffeine, aspirin or thyroid?

Korven

Maybe poor liver function, problems storing glycogen and high reverse T3. Adrenals/HPA-axis is also important for blood sugar regulation, sometimes thyroid won't work without good adrenal health.

I think 94.6% of all symptoms can be explained by gut issues/inflammation. Liver could be poisoned with endotoxin, do you have any signs of SIBO or dysbiosis? Food allergies and sensitivities can also cause these symptoms you mentioned.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I reacted similarly to pro-metabolic substances when I was deficient in B vitamins, especially B1. I have at least partly fixed this problem by supplementing B vitamins and eating beef liver, but I still get bad stress reactions to small amounts of thyroid.
For me, supplementing B-Vitamins also trigger stress reaction for some reason. Niacinamide is the worst, but other does it too, to some extent.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Low glycogen storage.
Oh, yes. That be it. I have textbook symptoms of poor glycogen storage. I'm feeling fine, and then I briskly walk for a minute, and feeling like collapsing.

Why do I have low glycogen stores when I'm eating tons of sugar literally all day?

Substances that should help build glycogen stores never helped me either. Taurine, famotidine, or even the B-Vitamins. Have used them consistently for a long time and I think they made me feel worse.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Maybe poor liver function, problems storing glycogen and high reverse T3. Adrenals/HPA-axis is also important for blood sugar regulation, sometimes thyroid won't work without good adrenal health.

I think 94.6% of all symptoms can be explained by gut issues/inflammation. Liver could be poisoned with endotoxin, do you have any signs of SIBO or dysbiosis? Food allergies and sensitivities can also cause these symptoms you mentioned.
Ahhhhh that's pretty much spot on. I do have elevated liver enzymes and high rT3.

My gut is such a mess that my belly is inflated like I'm 9 months pregnant. The usual SIBO protocols doesn't work or work only temporarily. Food allergies (confirmed by blood tests) since early age.

Damn. How to break free from this

Mauritio

Oh, yes. That be it. I have textbook symptoms of poor glycogen storage. I'm feeling fine, and then I briskly walk for a minute, and feeling like collapsing.

Why do I have low glycogen stores when I'm eating tons of sugar literally all day?

Substances that should help build glycogen stores never helped me either. Taurine, famotidine, or even the B-Vitamins. Have used them consistently for a long time and I think they made me feel worse.
I have the same . For me its long term gut issues . If you have a gut infection of some sort it constantly makes your body release stress hormones, which lowers glycogen stores. The sugar might even be feeding those microbes. But going low carb is not the answer. You have to get rid of the reason that's causing the constant stress hormones.
I started taking B. Coagulans a few days ago and it made me able to go longer between meals .

laleto12

Have you tried pro-GABA things, like progesterone and see if that buffers the effects you get from caffeine, aspirin or thyroid?
I remember taking 10mg of baclofen one day. It made me feel like I was high and normally a cup of coffee causes a stress reaction in my body but that day I drank one and absolutely 0 stress reaction. (My feet were still warm, normally coffee makes them cold.)

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I remember taking 10mg of baclofen one day. It made me feel like I was high and normally a cup of coffee causes a stress reaction in my body but that day I drank one and absolutely 0 stress reaction. (My feet were still warm, normally coffee makes them cold.)
You sure you mean baclofen? It is a muscle relaxant

laleto12

You sure you mean baclofen? It is a muscle relaxant
Yes it is a gaba-B agonist, I've tried that for anxiety and It sure did work, the coffee thing was something that I just realized randomly. When I saw Hans' post I remembered that.

I've only taken baclofen twice so Im not experienced that much with that substance but I feel like something tells me that I am GABA deficient. I have more or less the symptoms that you've mentioned. Bloated gut, anxiety, jittery, skin issues etc etc.

Korven

Ahhhhh that's pretty much spot on. I do have elevated liver enzymes and high rT3.

My gut is such a mess that my belly is inflated like I'm 9 months pregnant. The usual SIBO protocols doesn't work or work only temporarily. Food allergies (confirmed by blood tests) since early age.

Damn. How to break free from this

Is it possible for you to eat more substantial meals every 3-4 hours (without getting hypoglycemic symptoms)? I think some time between meals is important for engaging the migrating motor complex:

The MMC occurs every 90–230 minutes during the interdigestive phase (i.e., between meals) and is responsible for the rumbling experienced when hungry.[2][3] It also serves to transport bacteria from the small intestine to the large intestine and to inhibit the migration of colonic bacteria into the terminal ileum; an impairment to the MMC typically results in small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.[4]

Another (maybe crazy) idea is to pulse LOTS AND LOTS of different anti-microbials, antibiotics and probiotics for 7-14 days each. I'm currently trying this approach for changing gut microbiome and fixing chronic fatigue syndrome. It seems to be helping. Usually the best, lasting effects is when you herx hard for a few days and then feel a bit better. You could cycle through:

Triphala
Tulsi
Neem
Oregano oil
Wormwood
Monolaurin
Boswellia extract
Olive leaf extract
Berberine
Tetracyclines or other prescription antibiotics e.g Penicillin VK, Augmentin, Rifaximin
L.reuteri
Bifidobacterium longum + bifidum
S. boulardii

Possibly do this together with tiny, tiny amounts of NDT to help adrenals (and other organs) regenerate.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I have the same . For me its long term gut issues . If you have a gut infection of some sort it constantly makes your body release stress hormones, which lowers glycogen stores. The sugar might even be feeding those microbes. But going low carb is not the answer. You have to get rid of the reason that's causing the constant stress hormones.
I started taking B. Coagulans a few days ago and it made me able to go longer between meals .
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm very happy B. Coagulans is helping!

Vinero

I think you are eating too much protein. The range of protein intake that Ray recommends is something like 80-150 grams. I would try lowering your protein intake and increase your saturated fat intake. Just eat lots of butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter, whole milk, etc. with your meals.
Another thing you could try is replacing some sugars with starches like white rice or white bread/pasta. Some people find starches to be more grounding than sugars.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Is it possible for you to eat more substantial meals every 3-4 hours (without getting hypoglycemic symptoms)? I think some time between meals is important for engaging the migrating motor complex:

The MMC occurs every 90–230 minutes during the interdigestive phase (i.e., between meals) and is responsible for the rumbling experienced when hungry.[2][3] It also serves to transport bacteria from the small intestine to the large intestine and to inhibit the migration of colonic bacteria into the terminal ileum; an impairment to the MMC typically results in small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.[4]

Another (maybe crazy) idea is to pulse LOTS AND LOTS of different anti-microbials, antibiotics and probiotics for 7-14 days each. I'm currently trying this approach for changing gut microbiome and fixing chronic fatigue syndrome. It seems to be helping. Usually the best, lasting effects is when you herx hard for a few days and then feel a bit better. You could cycle through:

Triphala
Tulsi
Neem
Oregano oil
Wormwood
Monolaurin
Boswellia extract
Olive leaf extract
Berberine
Tetracyclines or other prescription antibiotics e.g Penicillin VK, Augmentin, Rifaximin
L.reuteri
Bifidobacterium longum + bifidum
S. boulardii

Possibly do this together with tiny, tiny amounts of NDT to help adrenals (and other organs) regenerate.
I'm not able to eat enough when I'm not eating every hour or so. I feel very full and painfully bloated for many hours after medium-large meals. Eating smaller portions very often is the only solution for now, but it bothers me for many reasons.

I have tried pretty much everyting on the list (and many more antimicrobals / combinations). Some things did nothing, some made me feel amazing for a while, but then they lost their potency / effect and stopped working.

I suspect my very sluggish / slow metabolism is at the root of my gut issues, but my body is strongly resisting every attempt to speed it up.

I have even tried pharmaceutical prokinetics. They gave me horrible stomach pain. I felt so off at the time it was almost like my gut is fighting back the attempt to speed up the transit time. It is hard to describe that feeling with words

Protein does seem a bit high. It may be tanking your blood sugar.

Also, the bloating points to SIBO/ SIFO. Anti- microbials will probably help like Korven suggested, but I don't know how to solve it( I myself have this).

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Yes it is a gaba-B agonist, I've tried that for anxiety and It sure did work, the coffee thing was something that I just realized randomly. When I saw Hans' post I remembered that.

I've only taken baclofen twice so Im not experienced that much with that substance but I feel like something tells me that I am GABA deficient. I have more or less the symptoms that you've mentioned. Bloated gut, anxiety, jittery, skin issues etc etc.
Very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom