Boost Serotonin

Aidin91

Hi
I am kind of on a trial and error.
I want to ask your advice and help about boosting the serotonin.
I think my headache kind of related to it.
Thanks a lot

Constatine

Ashwagandha is a sure way to boost serotonin and will also combat some of serotonin's negative effects. Though for me low serotonin helps with headaches and high serotonin gives me headaches.

sladerunner69

Vast majrity of people on this forum are ntwrested in lowering serotonin which is actually kind of difficult to achieve.... What makes you believe you have low serotonin and that it is the cause of your woes??

OP
A

Aidin91

Vast majrity of people on this forum are ntwrested in lowering serotonin which is actually kind of difficult to achieve.... What makes you believe you have low serotonin and that it is the cause of your woes??
I tried lysine for lowering the serotonin. it didn't help with my symptoms and I checked low serotonin symptoms I have most of them.
I also remember that fluoxetine relived me from my headache and helped me with other symptoms.
but if I am wrong, I really want your opinions and advice

Marg

The only way that you could find out your serum serotonin level would be to have your doctor order the test for you.

Usually, the test is given to find out if you have carcinoid syndrome. I am in the category of high serotonin levels, as I have allergies and mast cell senstitivities. Cypro works well for me.

But there may be others who do indeed have low serotonin. You could ask your doctor for the lab test if you want to know your levels; hopefully your insurance would cover this test.

If you feel that the antidepressant works, then use it. Please update us with your progress. Experimentation will tell you what is beneficial.

Constatine

I tried lysine for lowering the serotonin. it didn't help with my symptoms and I checked low serotonin symptoms I have most of them.
I also remember that fluoxetine relived me from my headache and helped me with other symptoms.
but if I am wrong, I really want your opinions and advice
I don't think lysine actually lowers serotonin but instead opposes it's action (though I could be wrong). Feverfew is effective for lowering serotonin.

OP
A

Aidin91

The only way that you could find out your serum serotonin level would be to have your doctor order the test for you.

Usually, the test is given to find out if you have carcinoid syndrome. I am in the category of high serotonin levels, as I have allergies and mast cell senstitivities. Cypro works well for me.

But there may be others who do indeed have low serotonin. You could ask your doctor for the lab test if you want to know your levels; hopefully your insurance would cover this test.

If you feel that the antidepressant works, then use it. Please update us with your progress. Experimentation will tell you what is beneficial.
I think due to the anxiety, stress and depression that I had in my childhood and teenage which continues in other ways till now is one of the facts that my serotonin is low, but it doesn't matter for me that it is high or low, I just want to go back and be normal.
The problem with doctors is that they don't know anything about these things and they also don't care,especially in my country.
unfortunately Anti depressants have a lot of side effects, especially on hair loss and weight gain.
cypro helped my headache but I had to take it in heavy doses, and I gained weight around 20 kilos in month which I get rid of them about two weeks ago, and also made me sleep at least 12 hours(I think it is helping by shutting down my whole nerve system)
I don't think lysine actually lowers serotonin but instead opposes it's action (though I could be wrong). Feverfew is effective for lowering serotonin.
I really appreciate your advice. would you mind to mention herbs, supplements and drugs that lower or increase serotonin

Constatine

Things that lower or oppose serotonin:
  • Niacinamide (as long as there are ample surgars)
  • BCAAs, glycine, tryosine, and maybe proline
  • Carbon dioxide
  • Caffeine
  • Thyroid
  • Aspirin
  • Ample sodium
  • Light (especially red light- late or early sun)
  • General relaxation - lack of stress
  • Feverfew
  • Lisuride, Metergoline, etc
  • Zinc (increase serotonin uptake)
  • Thiamine
  • Adamantane and its derivatives
  • Anything that improves digestion
  • DHT along with many other androgens
  • Progesterone
  • Shilajit
  • l-theanine
  • Vitamin D
  • Cypro

Things to increase serotonin...which I do not recommend

• Ashwagandha
  • Tryptophan
  • St. John's Wort
  • High dose B6 (though this seems to oppose serotonin in many ways as well)

Regina

• Carbon dioxide
  • Caffeine
  • Thyroid
  • Aspirin
  • Ample sodium
  • Feverfew
  • Thiamine
  • Progesterone
  • Shilajit
  • l-theanine
  • Vitamin D
  • Cypro

• Ashwagandha
  • Tryptophan
  • St. John's Wort
:emoji_dart:

OP
A

Aidin91

• Depression
  • Anxiety
  • IBS
  • Sleep Disturbances
  • Headache (Tense Muscles in neck and shoulders)
  • Obsessions
  • low self-esteem
  • Concentration Issues
  • Can't loose weight even though I don't have a lot of extra fat, I can't get rid of them
  • Social withdrawal
  • sound sensitivity
also I have hair loss with no reason which surprisingly I experienced hair regrowth with fluoxetine.

Constatine

• Depression
  • Anxiety
  • IBS
  • Sleep Disturbances
  • Headache (Tense Muscles in neck and shoulders)
  • Obsessions
  • low self-esteem
  • Concentration Issues
  • Can't loose weight even though I don't have a lot of extra fat, I can't get rid of them
  • Social withdrawal
  • sound sensitivity
also I have hair loss with no reason which surprisingly I experienced hair regrowth with fluoxetine.
Those are all high serotonin symptoms.

AretnaP

serotonin is a stress hormone that promotes excitotoxicity and a decrease in mitochondrial respiration (energy production)

raising it isn't good

OP
A

Aidin91

Those are all high serotonin symptoms.
So I must decrease it then.
  • Carbon dioxide
  • Caffeine
  • Thyroid
  • Aspirin
  • Ample sodium
  • Feverfew
  • Thiamine
  • Progesterone
  • Shilajit
  • l-theanine
  • Vitamin D
  • Cypro

• Ashwagandha
  • Tryptophan
  • St. John's Wort
which of the supplements that you mentioned above are more effective ?(since my case is really severe)
and how long it is gonna take so I can see the small changes ?
and would you mind to tell me about the effect of the flouxetine on serotonin levels? because it is kind of controversial topic among scientists some of them say that it decrease it some of them are against of this opinion

Constatine

So I must decrease it then.

which of the supplements that you mentioned above are more effective ?(since my case is really severe)
and how long it is gonna take so I can see the small changes ?
and would you mind to tell me about the effect of the flouxetine on serotonin levels? because it is kind of controversial topic among scientists some of them say that it decrease it some of them are against of this opinion
Yes you should decrease it.

I would do aspirin, caffeine, thiamine, and niacinamide. If this doesn't work try feverfew with it.

Flouxetine is a strange drug, it has both antagonist and agonist action regarding serotonin. It blocks some receptors while being an agonist to others. It does raise serum serotonin though which is very bad for the body.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Low serotonin feels very unnatural; it's not stressful, but it involves lethargy, disassociation, feeling the world is slower than usual, overly present-oriented, and feelings of lightness (not always euphoric lightness, but distance from the self.) The closest metaphor may be if one vacuumed out the ego and left the soul.

tara

Last edited:

Constatine

Low serotonin feels very unnatural; it's not stressful, but it involves lethargy, disassociation, feeling the world is slower than usual, overly present-oriented, and feelings of lightness (not always euphoric lightness, but distance from the self.) The closest metaphor may be if one vacuumed out the ego and left the soul.
IT feels a little different for me. Though I agree with the loss of ego. For me it feels like absolute peace and awareness. My energy with low serotonin is typically high as I am more "playful" but I cannot bring myself to focus on work related tasks. My head is very clear with low serotonin but it is a state that i would not want prolonged as like you said, it feels quite unnatural. High serotonin seems to isolate you in your own head while low serotonin seems to open your mind to the world so much you lose the ego.

Last edited:

Regina

Dude, I love that feeling! It does not feel unnatural to me.
I was watching the show "Life Below Zero" on netflix and I thought that most of the characters seemed like they were high cortisol and most definitely high serotonin--constantly convincing themselves they are right. They just keep tooling away at their necessary tasks (mostly killing to survive) and answering only to the tasks at hand.

AretnaP

perhaps too much inhibitory vs excititory action in the brain?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals