Bonobos Do Not Age Due To High Thyroid Hormone

chispas

I tried the bonobo diet for three weeks, and all I got was a giant red arse. Sad!

Elephanto

Their diet is probably also very low in protein compared to most of us, and so low in the amino acids that are harmful to metabolism and the thyroid. When I read "playful" and "highly sexual lifestyle", it mostly reminds me of low tryptophan.

Sunny Jack

I tried the bonobo diet for three weeks, and all I got was a giant red arse. Sad!

You must have been on the baboon diet by mistake! They eat fruits too, but also have a penchant for PUFA-laden seeds. That will be the source of the unfortunate side-effect you mention. :emoji_peach::emoji_disappointed_relieved:

milk_lover

High co2 from breath holding.. or less oxidative damage from oxygen. The nile crocodile and dolphins have a lengthy life too, also, both hold their breath regularly. The elephant has a long trunk creating a massive dead space of co2. I'm probably wrong, as that's an extremely oversimplified guess.

Oops! Sorry! Didn't see @Spokey comment
Oh that makes sense thanks to you and @Spokey

chispas

You must have been on the baboon diet by mistake! They eat fruits too, but also have a penchant for PUFA-laden seeds. That will be the source of the unfortunate side-effect you mention. :emoji_peach::emoji_disappointed_relieved:

Is there anyone in the world who doesn't get a pain in the arse from seeds?

I'd rather eat insects than seeds.

Jennifer

Im really at a point where so much science is biased that I dont know what to trust. Apparently even Jane Goodall thought chimps were peaceful after years of study. I think there is still a lot more research to be done before conclusions can be made.
Yeah, me too, Nathan. I figure the best any of us can do at this point is to trust our own experiences. All I took from the quote I posted is that having access to vegetation year round is a good thing. :)

Waynish

Have you found many articles about the effects of T3 supplementation on other animals? For example, could it be demonstrated that a large proportion of another species are hypothyroid, besides humans.

Amberlense

These are very interesting points. Peat's thought on the naked mole rat was the high CO2 levels, but the studies I posted on the ants suggest that it is the social organization that keeps these animals from aging. Ironically, that same social organization is what seems to tell them to die suddenly when no longer needed. In humans it has been shown that survival and recovery from heart attacks is determined primarily by feeling a sense of purpose - i.e. if there is something to live for. Women who have a high number of children and then go on to help with rearing a large number of grand children often live 20+ years longer than their peers.
I think this is true, i have also read that fetal stem cells can migrate from baby to mother during pregnancy. I have experienced something that felt like this in one pregnancy in particular interestingly this is the one where i bled a little very early on thinking i might miscarry but didn't. I felt and looked incredibly much better than i ever have and this wasn't simple pregnancy glow it was as if my body was reset somehow. In any case this could also be a reason why mothers with several children live longer as well.
Cell Migration from Baby to Mother

dreamcatcher

tumblr_inline_nuu4pxtWma1s0q1be_1280.png

Nfinkelstein

Isn't the concept of big brain = big intelligence discredited? Anyways afaik, boskop-man has been debunked and is no longer a term anthropologists use, it was an embarrassment and it fell out of use decades ago, like the nineteen fifties.

Waynish

It is interesting that you can describe a species that can only live less than half as long a human - which even young appear wrinkly and old - as non-aging. This is what reductionist scientism does to the mind; the level of a single supposed molecule - invisible to the eye and inflated in the mind - can become important enough to compare a more advanced spirited being with a lesser one. And let's not forget the bonobo is a female dominated species - should we really be modeling our endocrine systems after it?

A proper comparison would plot out the rest of the hormone levels of each species as they exist co-dependenly (cortisol can be much higher in bonobos than chimps for example https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1007411107 ). Now that could be useful because you could notice whether the same supposed molecules cause the same changes in the amounts of other supposed molecules across species or not (i.e. "thyroid is a good hormone and bonobos have more of it" vs "thyroid is higher but so is cortisol" vs "the study sample size is tiny and this has become an exercise in fantasy").

Let's not forget how bonobo studies are pushed in Universities worldwide to normalize their sexual behavior among humans as "natural" and "evolutionary" and "enlightened - because I studied primatology!"

lvysaur

Their diet, which is similar to the usual chimpanzee diet in most respects—fruit, leaves, a bit of animal protein when they can get it—differs in one signal way: Bonobos eat a lot of the herby vegetation that is abundant in all seasons—big reedy stuff like cornstalks and starchy tubers like arrowroot—which offers nutritious shoots and young leaves and pith inside the stems, rich in protein and sugars. Bonobos, then, have an almost inexhaustible supply of reliable munchies. So they don’t experience lean times, hunger, and competition for food as acutely as chimpanzees do. That fact may have had important evolutionary implications."
Now translate this to the genetic evolution that happens based on those "malnourished" circumstances

It's known that humanity was far more static before the injection of Middle Eastern ancestry