Bone Turnover Vs Bone Renewal: What Is The Difference?

Ray Peat said that:

*Osteoporosis is not caused by lack of calcification - it is caused by lack of bone renewal.

*Decreasing the nocturnal stress decreases bone turnover.

*Calcium and sugar decrease the nocturnal stress, that is, bone turnover.

*Babies grow mostly during the night when bone turnover is high.

I ask:

- What is the difference between bone renewal and bone turnover?

- If height growth presumably only occurs through (length) bone growth, would sugar and calcium inhibit length bone growth? If so, is Ray Peat wanting babies to be short?

- If bone turnover is the same as bone renewal, then is the nocturnal stress protective against osteoporosis?

Ps: I love Ray Peat's work, and I don't want to promote controversy in this forum nor do I want to get banned - I just want to get information and to clarify some contradictions (cognitive dissonance) or nonsense in my head.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Patience grasshopper.
:): @ecstatichamster

@Mr. God of Cars not sure I am qualified to answer, but, from my understanding Ray's diet thoughts are anabolic not catabolic - read how many gain weight and size when they pick up his ideas to at least some degree. I have also read here in the forum of adults growing taller etc.

Perhaps this helps to answer part of your questions anyway..

OP
Mr. God of Cars
:) @ecstatichamster

@Mr. God of Cars not sure I am qualified to answer, but, from my understanding Ray's diet thoughts are anabolic not catabolic - read how many gain weight and size when they pick up his ideas to at least some degree. I have also read here in the forum of adults growing taller etc.

Perhaps this helps to answer part of your questions anyway..

The only part of your reply that may have partly answered my questions is ababolic thing. However, none of my questions got really answered.

SonOfEurope

Oh Ggggod! Is someone alive in this place?

OP, the stresses that induce growth or at least start the process are unavoidable - but notice that most super centenarians have been small people - The factors that regulate this growth/proliferation are the site of Peat's focus, not to completely avoid the unavoidable or we would stay as healthy fetuses swimming in Progesterone for 1,000 years.

David PS

My understanding is that bones are living tissue and that they are constantly turning over throughout life. When an adult is in maintenance mode, the amount of bone breakdown is equal to the amount of bone growth. The bone is renewing itself with new bone tissue. The bone is turning over but there is no change in bone weight or bone density. This called bone remodeling. I think of bone as having the ability to renovate itself.

Cortisol levels rise during sleep. It indirectly acts on bone by blocking calcium absorption. Eating calcium and sugar before bed helps to keep cortisol levels low so that the bones can maintain themselves.

The terms are confusing.