Bone Broth Won't Gel - Dump It & Keep Trying?

DMF

My current batch of bones produces broths that are thick, milky white & opaque W/ usual fat atop but won't gel, though they're the same grass fed beef bones I used before.
What's the problem, and, is the "broth" they produce worth consuming?

tara

The stiffer the gel, the higher the proportion of gelatine it has. Your broth probably still has some gelatine, worth using, but not a large proportion. Did you use more water or less collagenous joints? Is there still gristle on your bones that hasn't dissolved into the broth?

OP
D

DMF

I was getting broths that gel as much as 15-20 yields from the same bones till they practically disintegrated.
This newer batch of bones are the same kind as the former, but the yields are whitish & soupy.
What do I do?

tara

If it smells and tastes good, eat/drink it. If not, don't? If there is gristle to chew off the bones, do (if it tastes good, of course). That's what I'd do, anyway. Are you sure the bones are the same? Just as much of the gelatinous joints? I assume similar cooking time? Did you put anything else in that might have affected it - eg vinegar?

Amazoniac

If you cook them too much you could be desintegrating the protein in simpler parts. If you are using relatively the same types, from the same place, it probably won't vary enough to be that different.
The more heat and pressure involved, the greater the chances of breaking the proteins down to amino acids. You are probably consuming the broth for them anyway; if so, they are still there, it just won't gel.
On the other hand, excessive heat and pressure desintegrate the bone matrix and will give your broth a unpleasant taste, probably due to some degree of damage to it.

OP
D

DMF

It's finally gelling! Yes - it took about 5 batches, so last night, this 6th one, got poured in the usual bowl, fridged and this morning - BINGO - wobbly wigglesworth instead of liquid.
So I guess the bones must be "broken-in" before they start to yield the sought after gel....?

Jake

usually the ratio of bones to water is off if it won't gel. It should the first time. Try to tetris the bones tightly into the pot, and stop the water level barely above the level of the bones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals