Boiling Kale

M

marikay

How much Kale sand water should I use to make the green liquid for supplementing mag and calcium? And how often should I take it? Thanks.

HDD

" The cooked greens, if you eat it by the cups and the quarts, it’s an adequate source of protein. But if you aren’t eating it as your main food for protein, then a 1/2 cup to a cup a day will provide your vitamin K, and a generous amount of magnesium and calcium. Those are the nutrients that quickly cook out of it into the broth. And so, if you drink only the water that you cooked a cup or so of leaves in, then you get a little supplement of magnesium and calcium."

ddjd

is this true about kale?

Oxalic acid is a toxin made from a mixture of fungus and yeast, and can cause lots of problems, such as gout, kidney stones, and muscle pains. To lower your smoothie’s oxalic acid, you can mix calcium and magnesium in your blender. These minerals bind to the oxalic acid so you don’t absorb as much of it.

Also, steaming your kale will protect your thyroid and ensure that you get all the great nutrients kale provides – like vitamins A, C, and K.

OP
M

marikay

Thanks. I've been using vitamin k2 a few times a week since that is easier. And I really don't like the taste of the kale or the liquid.

kale should be finely chopped. It tastes better. It can be boiled with chunks of potatoes and some onion, garlic to make a good nourishing soup.

However, I wouldn't eat it every day. It is a bit goitrogenic, although some of that does get destroyed with long cooking.

There are also collards and other greens like spinach, turnip, and probably others.