boiled egg tip

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Recently a coworker noticed me peeling the shell off a boiled egg and gave me a helpful tip. She suggested putting a pinch of baking soda in the water used to boil eggs. Usually the eggs I boil are are relatively fresh from a local farmer. He told me the fresher the egg the less likely the shell will peel off cleanly and evenly. I tried the tip from my coworker and to my surprise it worked! I just thought I would share that information here since many of us like to keep as many eggshells as possible for making eggshell calcium. In the past my shells from boiled eggs often had to be thrown out because so much egg white was left on the shell but now because of the baking soda tip I'm able to use those shells that would have been wasted. :claporange

Mittir

I have been adding table salt to boiling water and it makes easier to peel the shell.
Some people add vinegar to boiling water for the same purpose.

narouz

I don't think I tried baking soda, but I will give it a try.
I tried a lot of things.
Finally, I came back to Shock and Awe:
drop the eggs, cold, direct from frig,
into boiling water.
When done,
drop eggs in an ice bath.
Reliable peelability.
But adding baking soda would be a lot easier! :lol:

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
I don't think I tried baking soda, but I will give it a try.
I tried a lot of things.
Finally, I came back to Shock and Awe:
drop the eggs, cold, direct from frig,
into boiling water.
When done,
drop eggs in an ice bath.
Reliable peelability.
But adding baking soda would be a lot easier! :lol:
I think the ice bath after boiling is still necessary even with the baking soda. This morning I drained my eggs, got distracted by my dog and forgot to cool the eggs down. When I went to peel one later some parts peeled nicely but other parts not so much and chunks of egg white came off with the shell. I do like how the baking soda and ice bath combo seems to separate the shell from the membrane easier than when I had used just salted or plain water. I have never tried vinegar like Mittir mentioned. I wonder if making the water more acidic or alkaline helps the shell separate from the egg better? How interesting. Science in the kitchen!

Dutchie

Funny.....the tip about the baking soda happened to be in this months Dutch version of Men's Health as well.:)