Bodybuilding Diet With Ray Peat Principles

youngsinatra

Hey guys,

I am currently doing a bodybuilding type of diet, with a mixture of Ray Peat dietary ideas.
I just wanted to share my diet and would love to hear some of your opinions and tips how to improve it.

My diet consists of:

2000g of boiled, peeled, white potatoes
600g of lean ground beef (95/5)
1 liter of pure clementine juice
3 whole eggs, boiled
3 liter of mineral water (with 600mg of Ca for each liter)
an oz of beef liver everyday or every other day.
20g of salt

Macros:
Net Carbs: 470g
Protein: 185g
Fats: 47g
PUFA: 4.6g

My supplements includes: 600mg of vitamin E, 400mcg of K2 MK7, topical magnesium oil, 1-2 capsules of calcium carbonate (600mg of elemental Ca) to bring Ca:P ratio more to 1:1.

I eat around 5-6 meals.
Most meals consist of 500g of potatoes, 150g of ground beef, 150-200mL of clementine juice, salt.
I always drink one or two espressos after each meal.
Before going to bed I eat 3 salted eggs with 400mL of clementine juice to keep my liver glycogen up over the night.
I eat a little bit of beef liver (1 oz) daily for retinol and bioavailable copper mainly.

KqsCJKL

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-18 um 19.15.53.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-18 um 19.15.53.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 192

baccheion

How old are you? How are you sleeping? Anything before bed like ZMA or sustained-release melatonin? Any labs to check hormones? Testosterone keeps increasing up to ~10 hours sleep.

A warmer environment (ie, body temperature) and lower estrogen leads adrenaline to increase anabolism at the muscle. A colder environment wastes the lipolytic action on thermogenesis.

Does the meal before bed ruin the hGH/IGF-1 effect of sleep? I am biased toward having the last meal 3-4 hours before bed and then something (like ZMA or sustained-release melatonin) 30-60 minutes before to improve sleep.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I sleep pretty well and sleep around 8-9h.
I wear bluelight blocking glasses an hour before bed to ensure melatonin production.

When I eat my last meal 3-4h before bed I wake up in the middle of the night, needing to pee once or twice and falling asleep again gets pretty hard then.
I think that my liver runs out of glycogen in the middle of the night, then increases stress hormones to generate compensatory energy.

When I get some protein and whole fruit or juice, I sleep through the night just fine.

I haven‘t done any testing yet on sex hormones.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey guys,

I am currently doing a bodybuilding type of diet, with a mixture of Ray Peat dietary ideas.
I just wanted to share my diet and would love to hear some of your opinions and tips how to improve it.

My diet consists of:

3 whole eggs, boiled
20g of salt

Macros:

My supplements includes: 600mg of vitamin E, 400mcg of K2 MK7, topical magnesium oil, 1-2 capsules of calcium carbonate (600mg of elemental Ca) to bring Ca:P ratio more to 1:1.

I eat around 5-6 meals.
Most meals consist of 500g of potatoes, 150g of ground beef, 150-200mL of clementine juice, salt.
Before going to bed I eat 3 salted eggs with 400mL of clementine juice to keep my liver glycogen up over the night.
I eat a little bit of beef liver (1 oz) daily for retinol and bioavailable copper mainly.

KqsCJKL
Looks good, but a Peat diet is incomplete without milk. Skim or low fat is good if you want to limit fat gain. If you have 1-2L daily you can cut down on the starches a bit.

milkboi

Looks great. Although after a while I would get sick of all the potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a good alternative, or fruit.

baccheion

I sleep pretty well and sleep around 8-9h.
I wear bluelight blocking glasses an hour before bed to ensure melatonin production.

When I eat my last meal 3-4h before bed I wake up in the middle of the night, needing to pee once or twice and falling asleep again gets pretty hard then.
I think that my liver runs out of glycogen in the middle of the night, then increases stress hormones to generate compensatory energy.

When I get some protein and whole fruit or juice, I sleep through the night just fine.

I haven‘t done any testing yet on sex hormones.
Have you tried sustained-release melatonin and eating 3-4 hours before bed? Melatonin should ease strain on glycogen by switching to fat. On the other hand, maybe Peat doesn't like that.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Looks good, but a Peat diet is incomplete without milk. Skim or low fat is good if you want to limit fat gain. If you have 1-2L daily you can cut down on the starches a bit.

I cannot handle any dairy since I was a kid. I tried many times to reincorporate some raw dairy again or at least a tsp of grass-fed butter to a meal.
My skin breaks out dramatically, my gut feels inflamed and I have watery diarrhea from any type and quantity of dairy, even when taking lactase enzymes.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Have you tried sustained-release melatonin and eating 3-4 hours before bed? Melatonin should ease strain on glycogen by switching to fat. On the other hand, maybe Peat doesn't like that.

I haven‘t tried that. Melatonin is not recommended by Ray Peat as far as I know.
I am more confident in ensuring melatonin expression via blocking bluelight and making sure my room is dark as possible.

I have tried melatonin in the past and sometimes felt like it really improved sleep but made it very difficult to get out of the bed the next day.

rei

The only thing i would change is to switch the ground beef to high fat version, those long chain saturated fats can be magical.

PTP

I think you'd want some gelatin to balance out the amino acid profile from your ground beef. Maybe some low fat cottage cheese if you don't want any more liquids from milk, I know it's a bodybuilding staple or used to be.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I think you'd want some gelatin to balance out the amino acid profile from your ground beef. Maybe some low fat cottage cheese if you don't want any more liquids from milk, I know it's a bodybuilding staple or used to be.

Thanks. I usually supplement my diet with 20-30g of collagen powder, which I dissolve in juice or just mix under my beef. Currently I am out of stock on that one, but I will buy a bottle of it soon again!

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

The only thing i would change is to switch the ground beef to high fat version, those long chain saturated fats can be magical.

I feel like I am gaining too much fat when my fat intake increases above 15% of total fat.
I think it has something to do with the randle cycle.

T

TheBeard

Hey guys,

My diet consists of:

3 whole eggs, boiled
20g of salt

Macros:

I eat around 5-6 meals.

KqsCJKL

That's way too much liquid.
How do you even digest properly by diluting so much your stomach acid?

Broken man

Depends on where you live and your budget. You look good and your diet is good too. You can try sweet potatoes or bananas, also good option. Coconut water for minerals.... Supps creatine, taurine, bromantane, bemethyl ......

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Todays breakfast.
125g of basmati rice, 150g lean ground beef, 150mL pure clementine juice, 1 medium carrot, 300mg calcium. An espresso shot or two afterwards.

By the way, I am switching up between white rice and potatoes.
Today 2 meals with rice, 2 other with potatoes.
I feel like when I cook many potatoes and eat them over the daytime, they develop too many resistant starches.

Attachments

• 6D973E77-9F6C-4CC1-8C95-AC8FBEE67BC6.jpeg
    6D973E77-9F6C-4CC1-8C95-AC8FBEE67BC6.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 224
How old are you? How are you sleeping? Anything before bed like ZMA or sustained-release melatonin? Any labs to check hormones? Testosterone keeps increasing up to ~10 hours sleep.

A warmer environment (ie, body temperature) and lower estrogen leads adrenaline to increase anabolism at the muscle. A colder environment wastes the lipolytic action on thermogenesis.

Does the meal before bed ruin the hGH/IGF-1 effect of sleep? I am biased toward having the last meal 3-4 hours before bed and then something (like ZMA or sustained-release melatonin) 30-60 minutes before to improve sleep.
Source for the temperature-adrenaline-anabolism relationship you claimed?

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update on my diet.

I upped the calories to around 3700 to 4000 calories.
I eat a diet that is almost similiar to "The Vertical Diet" by Stan Efferding.

I eat:
500g of jasmine rice (weighed uncooked)
600g of lean ground beef (5%)
150-200g of chicken breast
A large zuchinni and a bell pepper (cooked with the beef)
3-4 little raw carrots
1L of mandarine or pure clementine juice
20g of collagen
2L of mineral water (gives me around 1200mg of Ca)

I switched up my supplements a bit:
4000 IU of Vitamin D3
20-40k IU of Vitamin A (Retinyl-palmitate)
250mcg of Vitamin K2 (MK-7)
600mg of Vitamin E
2500mg of taurine
I started again on 1-2 capsules of fish oil again, because my consistently worsening dry skin on my hands didn't disappear, no matter what I did (biotin, vitamin A, D3...),
but a little bit of n-3 reversed that problem for me in a few days.

Peace!