Bodybuilding and longevity

Whichway?

This is a question I have been concerned about myself and in the end I've come to to a tentative conclusion that bodybuilding as a lifestyle is not conducive to longevity.

Professional bodybuilders and YouTube/Instgram influencers seem to be dropping like flies once they get into their 40s and 50s... some even in their 30s. Drug use is probably the major factor (designer steroids, insulin, gh, diuretics, etc) but I don't think it's the only factor.

I think excessive weight training and/or carrying unnaturally large amounts of muscle mass both have negative heart and kidney effects. The acute intra workout blood pressure increases from large volumes of heavy lifting may be causing kidney damage that ends up leading to chronic blood pressure problems. Kidney damage/disease is still irreversible as far as conventional medicine goes.

Just my personal thoughts. As I get older I find myself wanting to err more on the side of caution.

Healthy and modern bodybuilding is almost an oxymoron.

+1 ^

A lot of these bodybuilding guys remind me of the same addiction/perversion that you see take over certain women and insta models who plump their lips, get boob and butt implants, and undergo all sorts of procedures in the pursuit of looks. It‘s a kind of extremism, just expressed differently. Either way I don’t think it is healthy. Look at a guy like Dorian Yates. He’s seen the writing on the wall and has slimmed down a lot and just looks like an average muscled guy.

OccamzRazer

In your opinion, in 2022 it is possible to do bodybuilding (therefore also with the use of drugs) while preserving health and longevity or are these things that cannot coexist? beyond the economic side because it is certainly not a "lifestyle" for everyone.

Thanks
Yes, absolutely!

But the overlap between bodybuilding and health isn't found by going forward - it's found by going back.

See Armand Tanny, Vince Gironda, et al. Here's some more info on Tanny, might be worth a read:

OP
Highserotonin90
But you want to tell me that whoever does TRT, their doctor (if they have it) doesn't consider progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA? but only testosterone, free testosterone, shbg, and estrogen?

Another thing, even more serious today, if you cease use is there a PCT that really works or are we left with nolvadex and clomid? for HPA axis recovery Haidut products would come to mind, some of them.

What do you think ... thanks.

OP
Highserotonin90
Yes, absolutely!

But the overlap between bodybuilding and health isn't found by going forward - it's found by going back.

See Armand Tanny, Vince Gironda, et al. Here's some more info on Tanny, might be worth a read:

Interesting, let's say that the only things I eat partially raw are eggs, but I always do a minimum of boiling ... about the meat I wouldn't be able to but I agree that probably the assimilation of nutrients would be greater than cooking and then to heat.

OP
Highserotonin90
+1 ^

A lot of these bodybuilding guys remind me of the same addiction/perversion that you see take over certain women and insta models who plump their lips, get boob and butt implants, and undergo all sorts of procedures in the pursuit of looks. It‘s a kind of extremism, just expressed differently. Either way I don’t think it is healthy. Look at a guy like Dorian Yates. He’s seen the writing on the wall and has slimmed down a lot and just looks like an average muscled guy.
Have you noticed that many go to Kuwait? is there anything particular down there or is it pure system marketing?

Nomane Euger

Interesting, let's say that the only things I eat partially raw are eggs, but I always do a minimum of boiling ... about the meat I wouldn't be able to but I agree that probably the assimilation of nutrients would be greater than cooking and then to heat.
hi,why do you think that raw meat would probably better have better assimilation of nutrients than cooked meat?

OP
Highserotonin90
hi,why do you think that raw meat would probably better have better assimilation of nutrients than cooked meat?
Let's say I think yes, but I don't think lol difficult to explain in the Forum but probably not even sure that our current digestive systems are able to assimilate ... and break down raw meat ... maybe even with damage on the middle long period

Nomane Euger

Let's say I think yes, but I don't think lol difficult to explain in the Forum but probably not even sure that our current digestive systems are able to assimilate ... and break down raw meat ... maybe even with damage on the middle long period
I am not sure i understood,you said prior that raw meat is probably more assimilable,and there you say that you are probably not sure our digestive systems are able to break down and assimilate raw meat?

OP
Highserotonin90
I am not sure i understood,you said prior that raw meat is probably more assimilable,and there you say that you are probably not sure our digestive systems are able to break down and assimilate raw meat?
Greater assimilation but with inability of the digestive system to break it down I see it as a coherent current hypothesis

Nomane Euger

Greater assimilation but with inability of the digestive system to break it down I see it as a coherent current hypothesis
how can you have a greater assimilation if you cant break it down into particles that are assimilable?

OP
Highserotonin90
how can you have a greater assimilation if you cant break it down into particles that are assimilable?
I honestly don't understand if I can't explain or you don't want to understand?

Nomane Euger

I honestly don't understand if I can't explain or you don't want to understand?
my question is clear,how can you have a greater assimilation of something,if your digestive system cant break it down into assimilable particles?

RollingStone

If you don't use drugs or balloon up on 'bulking' phases with super-high carb/starch diets, then I think it's very healthy. If you want to be extreme and competitive though, then no bodybuilding is not healthy, though you could still try to do it in a healthier way than a lot of other bodybuilders do it.