"Bodybuilder Mom Died From A Protein Overdose" Or

Did anyone see this sad article?
This Bodybuilding Mom Died From a Protein Overdose — Here's What You Need to Know

I think the title is a misnomer and an important distinction. In my opinion this woman died from eating a low carb diet and not eating sugar. She was eating nothing but protein and then working out intensely and so her body was having to breakdown her own muscles for glucose and the by products of protein breakdown poisoned her. It is a very sad story but also frightening because I know so many people eating low carb diets who think sugar is evil. Ray Peat's work is so important but is dismissed by so many people because he makes the claim that the human body runs on sugar. Isn't that basic physiology?
Any thoughts?

Elephanto

Unrelated, she had a genetic disorder called "urea cycle disorder, a condition that blocks the body from properly breaking down protein."

OP
P
I don't think this is unrelated. She was 25 years old and doesn't appear to have had problems until eliminating carbohydrates and doing extreme workouts. I am sure she had eaten protein before and not died. She may have been more susceptible because of a genetic condition but she died from ammonia poisoning from protein breakdown. And in Crossfit which combines low carbohydrate diet with extreme exercise you can get Rhabdomyolysis. You don't have to have a genetic problem to get sick from extreme protein breakdown.
But even so this kind of extreme diet is becoming common and many people have undiagnosed issues that make this kind of diet deadly.

Tarmander

Lots of people cut carbs and eat too much protein. They don't die just crash their metabolism. What differentiates is the genetic component here.

paymanz

Protein poisoning - Wikipedia
Anyway protein poisoning can kill any person even without genetic problem.

As article mentioned her diet was based on lean meat and egg whites.

Carb restriction aside, her diet probably was very low on fat too.

Even some fat intake could save her life.probably calorie restriction could save her life too, because with that she could use her own body fat, well, for short period of time!

paymanz

Protein poisoning - Wikipedia
Anyway protein poisoning can kill any person even without genetic problem.

As article mentioned her diet was based on lean meat and egg whites.

Carb restriction aside, her diet probably was very low on fat too.

Even some fat intake could save her life.probably calorie restriction could save her life too, because with that she could use her own body fat, well, for short period of time!