Body Ph - Help To Understand Alkalinizing Supplements

D

Deleted member 5487

So @Amarsh213 do you advise to use bicarb soda everyday? One teaspoon or two in water once a day?
I use urine PH strips from amazon like 10$.

Generally 2-3 teapoons a day. However I am experimenting with Sodium Citrate, which is made by adding about 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid. This releases the CO2 and creates Citrate which is then metaboliszed into Bicarbonate by the body. I Believe this yeilds more Bicarbonate Buffer Aions than Sodium Bicarbonate on a empty stomach.

Alkalinization of the organism may be achieved by a strict vegetarian or vegan nutrition, or through an increased intake of citrates which are metabolized into bicarbonate ( ~ 60 mMol/day), however because of the one-sided and unbalanced alimentation deficiencies for vitamins, proteins etc. will occur like in the rice-growing population in China and India (Beri-Beri). The daily protein-requirement of an adult person is approximately 0,59 G/Kg BW and is even higher if only vegetarian proteins are ingested, because of the lack of certain amino-acids. All proteins contain Sulphur, Phosphate, Nitrogen which need to be excreted after their reaction with oxygen as acid metabolites by the kidneys, as sulphates, phosphates, urea, uric-acid etc. The average daily Acid-load of the body (70 Kg BW) is in the range of 40 to 80 mMol/day, sometimes even far more. After the age of 25 the task to excrete these amounts of acids is far in excess of the capacity of what even perfectly healthy kidneys are able to perform."

yerrag

So @Adrienlcrx good luck with learning by trial and error.

yerrag

Here is an article on how to use interpret the results of urine and saliva pH: Measuring Body pH - Biomedx

This involves not only urine and saliva pH, but also breathing rate and breath hold time. It is more complicated than the wrong practice of solely relying on urine pH, which I used to rely on, until recently. But it is still not that difficult to use. The most difficult part of it is in self-measuring my breath rate, which is hard to measure when I'm conscious of my breathing as it tends to mess up my breathing.

I've found I have to use an app to measure it. I lie down and put my smartphone on top of my belly, and the app relies on the diaphragm movement to detect my breathing motion. I have to occupy my thought on something to keep my thoughts focused elsewhere, or else my breathing would not be natural. This free app is called Breath Counter.

meatbag

I have been testing urine ph for years and it is always below 6, at morning or night. Some days it even doesn't move above 5.5 whole day. I decided to start with alkalinizing supplements to prevent further calcium lose from bones. But I have difficult to understand how it works.

I find that usual supplements are potassium, calcium and magnesium citrates. I take magnesium citrate for from company NOW. Old formula of their magnesium citrate was very acid, if I mixed the powder with water it showed ph around 5. The new formula shows it is very alkaline, ph around 8 when mixed with water. I guess because with new formula the amount of citric acid buffered to magnesium is in lower ratio.

From what I understand it doesn't matter ph of food/supplement before digested but it is about whether acidic or alkaline byproducts are created once it is digested. So even if one magnesium citrate mixed with water has acidic ph 5 before digested and another has alkaline ph 8, both will result in lowering urine ph. Am I correct?

Now I am wondering, does it need to be magnesium citrate or can I use magnesium glycinate? Is it better calcium citrate or calcium carbonate? How do you know which mineral creates acidic and which alkaline byproducts?

tnx!
this interview is very informative

D

Deleted member 5487

PH Regulation is the best defense agianst disease and ageing.

Exhaling Carbon Dioxide(Excersise)(Not Exhaustive) and including plenty of PH buffers Like Fruits and Vegetables and bicarbonate precursors.

"A growing body of research has now clearly documented clinical benefit through diet and alkalinizing supplements. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in animal protein and sodium chloride reduces acid load and is consistently associated with greater bone density.16 Alkalinization through supplementation with potassium and magnesium citrates decreases urinary excretion of calcium, increases bone density, and decreases fracture.17 This is especially interesting, as this reversal of osteoporosis is accomplished without increasing either vitamin D or calcium!18

yerrag

Alkalinization through supplementation with potassium and magnesium citrates decreases urinary excretion of calcium, increases bone density, and decreases fracture.
This isn't as clear cut. This post from the same thread gives a different picture:

"Most citrate absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract is oxidized in the liver to form bicarbonate, providing a systemic alkali load. Whether the net effect of citrate ingestion is alkalinization of blood and urine depends on the cation accompanying citrate. If citrate is ingested as citric acid, in which the accompanying cations are protons, the protons neutralize the bicarbonate formed in the liver so that there is no net effect on acid-base status.9 If citrate is in the form of a potassium or sodium salt, virtually all citrate is converted to alkali with no serum bicarbonate titration, leading to systemic alkalinization. This distinction is critical in regard to renal citrate excretion since proximal tubular reabsorption of filtered citrate by the sodium-dicarboxylate cotransporter is contingent on systemic acid-base status. In acidosis states the renal proximal tubule reabsorbs citrate, which is incorporated into the Krebs cycle, decreasing citraturia. On the other hand, alkalosis decreases renal tubule reabsorption of citrate, increasing urinary citrate excretion.10"

yerrag

I have recently stopped all bicarbonate supplementation. I found that it has become counterproductive when it makes my body too alkaline. I didn't realize my body was too alkaline already because I was using a faulty testing method to determine my acid-base balance. I was relying purely on urine pH to determine by acid-base. Now that I have started using another method (involving urine pH, saliva pH, breathing rate), I realize I no longer needed bicarbonate supplementation as good sugar metabolism, better mix of acids and bases in my diet, and avoiding daily supplements that are a heavy acidic load - have made my acid-base balance optimal.

What taking bicarbonates as supplements actually destroy the balance already achieved, and this increased alkalinization has led to excretion to bicarbonates, and along with it potassium is excreted as a potassium bicarbonate pairing. This increased potassium loss led to my having low potassium stores, with the effect of worse blood sugar absorption and metabolism, worse blood sugar control, and I feel the effects of it in experiencing cramps, and in the quality of my pulse, as measured in the perfusion index. Potassium is vital in its role as regulator of calcium influx into the cell. Too muh calcium influx not only leads to poor muscle contraction and expansion, as reflected in efficient pumping in the heart, but also leads to calcification.

Yes, just using bicarbonates inappropriately can lead to such systemic effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals