Body parts grown from a person's own body cells

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Incredible, but a little freaky to at the same time.

4peatssake

Yes quite freaky.

I know someone who needs a liver transplant and I confess that I had no idea before now that one could use a "living" donor. The living donor needs to have your same blood type and be healthy of course.

They take half the healthy person's liver and give it to the person needing the liver transplant. Both halves of liver then regrow to full size in both people! Two healthy livers are the result.

HDD

Wow! That is amazing, I didn't know they could do that,either.

OP
S

Swandattur

I have heard that before. Handy that the liver will regrow! I wonder if the body could be encouraged to regrow other organs within itself as it does the liver.

J

j.

Swandattur said:
I have heard that before. Handy that the liver will regrow! I wonder if the body could be encouraged to regrow other organs within itself as it does the liver.

Or shrink in some cases (e.g., prostate).

J

j.

...and stay eternally young as well (probably actually possible, Peat might have been the first to see that)

OP
S

Swandattur

I suppose most scientific studies for improving the wellbeing of the human body are oriented towards 'fixing it when it gets broke' and not keeping it in good working order in the first place. I saw a Ted Talks podcast in which a scientist said there were three ways the lifespan could be extended. One was fixing metabolism ( which I think is the RP way), a second way was intervening and fixing stuff when it was starting to break down, and the third was fixing it when it was about done for (I think he meant). His plan was fixing it when things started to break. To me that kind of fix would only be available to richer people in richer countries. Also, it kind of makes me think of a Star Trek Voyager episode where this race of people had an incurable disease which they dealt with by replacing stuff as it gave out ( with stolen body parts). Of course, this scientist wasn't talking about stealing body parts, but it just gave me this feeling of Frankenstein people. This scientist thought fixing metabolism is too hard and beyond the capabilities of science any time soon, whereas, he felt the Frankensteinish model held promise of a fix in a short time. New body parts seem good if some have gone bad,but what would they do about the brain?

OP
S

Swandattur

Just to clarify, I do, of course think, new body parts made from the body's own cells is really good when it's needed, but they shouldn't ignore fixing the metabolism. The body parts would just start breaking down again without that.

jaguar43

"Stem" cells turn out to be ubiquitous, and the failure of regeneration and restoration seems to be situational. In the 1950s a magazine article described the regeneration of a finger-tip when the wound was kept enclosed. Decades later, friends (one a child, the other a man in his forties) had accidental amputations of a finger-tip, down to the cuticle so that no visible nail remained. The boy's mother fitted his finger with the tube from a ballpoint pen, and the man used an aluminum cigar tube as his "bandage." Within a few weeks, their fingers had regenerated to their normal shape and length. I think the closed environment allows the healing tissues to be exposed to a high concentration of carbon dioxide, in equilibrium with the carbon dioxide in the capillaries, and to a humid atmosphere, regulated by the osmotic or vapor pressure of the living tissues.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ad ... ance.shtml

OP
S

Swandattur

Reptiles certainly regenerate parts of themselves all the time. We've had rescued turtles who regenerated feet and, of course, shell. I guess people can do it,too, given the right conditions.

montmorency

Jenn said:
I know an 80+ year old woman who grew her own heart bypass. It's not uncommon for people to grow back organs, gall bladders, thyroid, etc.

The obvious question then might be: why doesn't everyone who needs one (bypass) do this?

And the answer may be that many more people do than is realised, but because they either don't get very sick or they recover, then it's never actually discovered.

Jenn

Exactly, her body did it on its own, they only knew about it because they opened her up.

I can not even express how sad it makes me to see functioning people get worse after their doctor gives them some drug to "fix" their blood pressure or"heart condition" or take them off salt and sugar because its "bad" and they start being tired, not feeling well, not thinking well etc.

I make sure to serve high salt/high sugar food when people come over, they always leave happier and more alert then when they arrived.

OP
S

Swandattur

Yes, I think some of the things that doctors prescribed and suggested as dietary changes for my dad when he was young and developed high blood pressure probably led to more health problems. I think he had a thyroid problem, too. I ought to ask him about the thyroid problem.

burtlancast

Dr Robert Becker, of the university of Syracuse, NY, studied the use of small electrical currents used by some animals to regrow lost limbs.

He stumbled by pure hazard on the fact silver ions applied to the body through small electrical currents are able to dedifferenciate mature fibroblasts into undifferenciated stem cells that will then be used by the body to repair bone injuries.

This is the first time it has been proved one can make differenciated mature cells go backwards to their original stem cell state.

Orthodox medecine made sure to quickly put Becker out of business.

OP
S

Swandattur

It makes you start to wonder about conspiracy theories being closer to the truth. I guess it's just some weird human nature thing combined with greed and competitiveness that makes people behave in this way. You'd wonder how many great discoveries have been made and then ignored or ridiculed.

J

j.

Swandattur said:
It makes you start to wonder about conspiracy theories being closer to the truth. I guess it's just some weird human nature thing combined with greed and competitiveness that makes people behave in this way.

That's just a cliche which has nothing to do with how things work. Competitiveness and the pursue of one's self interest brought about most improvements in people's quality of life.

burtlancast

The monopoles were all subjected to in these times stiffle competition and kill innovations.
Who wants electric or solar cars when you can charge an arm and a leg for petrol ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals