BLOOD WORK INTERPRETATION

heyyzuz

So I had a physical and the good ol' doc handed me the lab corp sheet to take there and get blood work done. I'll let you know that I checked off sooooo much stuff lol.

I've been losing hair for one and half years now. Does anyone have any clue why?! Everything looks fine besides my exposure to mono as a kid, and my creatinene being elevated since I was a bit dehydrated the day of the tests.

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,150

ravster02

It's easy to see why you're losing hair: low cholesterol, high TSH, high prolactin. High blood triglycerides point to fat burning.

If I were you I'd increase my sugar intake, get 1.5-2g protein per kg of bodyweight, eat liver once or twice a week and take niacinamide and/or aspirin.

OP
H

heyyzuz

ravster02 said:
It's easy to see why you're losing hair: low cholesterol, high TSH, high prolactin. High blood triglycerides point to fat burning.

If I were you I'd increase my sugar intake, get 1.5-2g protein per kg of bodyweight, eat liver once or twice a week and take niacinamide and/or aspirin.

Hi Ravster02,

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Im going to do what you said. Going to guy buy some liver today. I've never had it before, so I hope I don't barf!

My question to you is how is it that you say my levels are not on range, but the tests say they are.

Thank you once again.

HDD

Q: What sources of cholesterol would you recommend?

RP: A good diet, plenty of fruit, and milk in the diet will allow your tissues, especially the liver and brain, to make as much cholesterol as they need.

Q: Would you recommend eating liver? Or heart, kidneys, from grass-fed beef, for example?

RP: Yeah. Except for the ratio of calcium to phosphate, the liver has the highest concentration of the anti-stress nutrients. So at least twice a month there should be a good meal of liver for stress resistance. Maybe once a week; four ounces a week is a safe and effective amount.

OP
H

heyyzuz

Hey guys...and gals,

I should probably also add that when my hair loss first started, I remember my cholesterol being incredibly low. It was almost non existent. All this at 22 years old :O

OP
H

heyyzuz

Last thing! How much niacinamide and aspirin should I take per day?

heyyzuz said:
ravster02 said:

Hi Ravster02,

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Im going to do what you said. Going to guy buy some liver today. I've never had it before, so I hope I don't barf!

My question to you is how is it that you say my levels are not on range, but the tests say they are.

Thank you once again.

In the Peating world, an ideal TSH value is 0.4 miu/mL or lower, total cholesterol value is between 160-230 mg/dl (I've seen the ideal between 200-230mg/dl), prolactin no higher than 7 ng/ml (10-12 ng/ml if female) and C02 around 30 mmol/l.

While you're not within those ranges, the good news is that you're in a typical poor state that's quite straightforward to reverse, that is, it's common to see guys with low cholesterol, high TSH and high prolactin, make quick improvements when Peating. Just make sure you're eating Peat favoured foods and you'll quickly notice less hair shedding and better health. There's plenty of threads here discussing dosing for niacinamide and aspirin and others.

OP
H

heyyzuz

cantstoppeating said:
heyyzuz said:
ravster02 said:

Hi Ravster02,

Thank you once again.

In the Peating world, an ideal TSH value is 0.4 miu/mL or lower, total cholesterol value is between 160-230 mg/dl (I've seen the ideal between 200-230mg/dl), prolactin no higher than 7 ng/ml (10-12 ng/ml if female) and C02 around 30 mmol/l.

While you're not within those ranges, the good news is that you're in a typical poor state that's quite straightforward to reverse, that is, it's common to see guys with low cholesterol, high TSH and high prolactin, make quick improvements when Peating. Just make sure you're eating Peat favoured foods and you'll quickly notice less hair shedding and better health. There's plenty of threads here discussing dosing for niacinamide and aspirin and others.

Thanks for the response. It all makes so much sense.

Would you consider the diet found in Hair Like A Fox by Danny Roddy to be a good example of list of foods that I can eat that are "peat like"?

heyyzuz said:
cantstoppeating said:
heyyzuz said:
ravster02 said:

Hi Ravster02,

Thank you once again.

Thanks for the response. It all makes so much sense.

Would you consider the diet found in Hair Like A Fox by Danny Roddy to be a good example of list of foods that I can eat that are "peat like"?

Absolutely. It's worth signing up to his 'Organising The Panic' course so that he can take a look at your bloodwork and offer experience-backed insight.

tara

The standard 'normal' ranges for lots of hormones are very wide. The optimal ranges, according to Peat, are often a lot narrower. You have to be a long way from optimal before the drs will recognise some issues. Peat has said he's seldom seen a healthy person with TSH >2, and most healthy people have a TSH<1.

Niacinamide: Peat has suggested 50-100mg 2 or more times a day with food. Some people take a lot more, and say they benefit from it. If you don't have enough carbs in the system to run on, it can sometimes produce a crash, because it inhibits lipolysis.

BingDing

The most important thing to keep in mind is that what people post on the forum might or might not be what Peat recommends, it's best to do your own research and try to understand what Peat has actually said.

In my experience, a simplistic A->B->C solution may be a good starting point but is unlikely to be the whole solution, there are just too many variables. No advice is valid unless it is within the context of being well nourished and replete in all the micronutrients, which can take months to actually achieve.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but I don't want you or anyone to give up without understanding why Peat advises what he does.

I've seen very high protein recommendations on the forum but have never seen a cite from Peat supporting those recommendations. Peat has repeatedly said 80-100g/day and cited a study that said 1g protein/kg body weight.

TSH can vary four or five fold over the course of 24 hours, one blood test is not a very good basis for deciding what to do, IMO.

Ray's broadest recommendations are what I think are the most valuable, some reading will find the particulars and fine tuning supplements then becomes an ongoing effort. The good news is that his ideas do lead to good health and whole thing is eminently sustainable for the rest of your life.

tara

BingDing said:
The most important thing to keep in mind is that what people post on the forum might or might not be what Peat recommends, it's best to do your own research and try to understand what Peat has actually said.
I very much agree it's worth reading/listening to Peat, not just going off our various interpretations.

BingDing said:
In my experience, a simplistic A->B->C solution may be a good starting point but is unlikely to be the whole solution, there are just too many variables. No advice is valid unless it is within the context of being well nourished and replete in all the micronutrients, which can take months to actually achieve.
Yes.

BingDing said:
I've seen very high protein recommendations on the forum but have never seen a cite from Peat supporting those recommendations. Peat has repeatedly said 80-100g/day and cited a study that said 1g protein/kg body weight.
I think I've seen him recommend 80-100g protein for hypothyroid people, and that most healthy people probably need more like 130-150, and maybe more for very active healthy people. He's said at some time that he didn't feel good himself on less than 150g.
I get the impression too much protein while thyroid and liver function are subpar can be a burden, so during recovery it may well be wise to go with the lower levels, unless it is obvious that a bit more works better?

BingDing

I think you are right, tara. A little research is always in order! From the Peatarian Q&A (bolding is mine)

Protein
For intense exercise, it's about a gram per pound of body weight.

I've always been very sedentary, but I have usually had close to 150 grams daily. The traditional meat eaters didn't waste anything,ate all the skin, ears, tails, snouts, feet,tendons, lungs, intestines, marrow, blood,brains, gonads and other glands, picked the ligaments off the bones, so they had a much better balance of amino acids. (Small town restaurants in Mexico, China, etc., still serve those.) Muscle meats are essentially a refined food.

That's more than enough, and with low thyroid function the excess of tryptophan, methionine, and cystein can lower your thyroid even more. Until your metabolic rate is higher, 80 to 100 grams would be better. Replacing it with sugar, or very well cooked starch, would support thyroid function.

OP
H

heyyzuz

Hi all I'm back again. Quick questions, with the information on my blood work, does anyone suggest that I supplement on thyroid? I've been trying the Ray peat diet for almost a year now and my hair loss does not seem to stop. Please some help.

tara

Hi Heyyzuz,
Which version of 'the' Ray Peat diet have you been eating?
Have you posted what and how much you have been eating the the last few months? And what other tactics have you tried to improve metabolism?
It might be that some cautious thyroid supplementation makes sense, but I generally tend to think it's important to get the other factors lined up first.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter

If my TSH is 2.38 mIU/L, how would I translate that to miu/mL?
Paul

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals