Bioavailabile T: 187 (110-575)
SHBG 19 (10-50)

Cholesterol Total 230 (High)
HDL 27 (low) >40
Chol/HDL ratio 8.5 (High)
Triglycerides 577 (very high)
Non HDL 203 (High)

Everything else is within range.
Dr. suggests Fish Oil or prescription LOPID (Gemfibrozil)

Any suggestions ? I appreciate everyone's input, some suggestions you may have, I likely tried. Except Vitamin K, Vitamin A, and NDT or Thyroid.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

What about Triglycerides

meatbag

What about Triglycerides

Josh Rubin: "One thing I know is Ray is what are your thoughts on people are storing glycogen in their liver. What would cause someone to not be able to store enough glycogen or what would cause the liver’s inability to release the glycogen?"

Dr. Ray Peat:
Thyroid deficiency is the most common reason for that. The enzymes are very sensitive to the presence or absence of thyroid. Selenium is needed to activate the thyroid and ultimately the other B vitamins and all the nutrients are needed but the most common problems are low thyroid and low selenium. But to use the selenium to activate the thyroid, you need glucose. And the fructose happens to be the best stimulant for the liver to store glycogen. The current phobia people are talking about fructose increasing triglycerides but before it does that it powerfully helps the liver to replenish its glycogen stores. And then if you eat too much, you can eat a lot of excess sugar but since it stimulates your metabolic rate, it takes a big excess before you start converting much of it to the triglycerides and these triglycerides are then available for storage in your fat tissue. So the animal studies show that you can eat lots more calories in the form of sugar before you start storing the triglycerides in your adipose tissue.

Dr. Ray Peat: "Surprisingly some of the things that are blamed on fructose, such as increasing triglycerides, estrogen has been known to do that. Cortisol is really the main thing that increases the so-called inappropriate blood lipids. Good triglycerides made from sugar or other carbohydrate really aren’t harmful, they are just evidence that you are under stress and eating more than you need. And insulin and cortisol are usually the main factors increasing triglycerides, but estrogen tends to interfere with the oxidation of glucose and shifts you to being forced to oxidize polyunsaturated fats and tends to give you lower blood sugar problems, at least temporarily under the influence, and chronically all of the effects of impaired glucose oxidation and increased reliance on fatty acids. And the oxidative metabolism is disturbed in numerous ways by an excess of estrogen. So androgens and progesterone and thyroid are all protective against those effects of estrogen."

"The sodium helps to increase your metabolic rate, so you use sugar more efficiently. And so when you have a sugar craving, having something both salty and sugary is probably the best."

-
East West: Glycemia Starch And Sugar In Context:
East West: Glycemia Starch And Sugar In Context

meatbag

Okay. 37yo, 6'2", 228lbs.

TSH 1.87 (I think it should be lower)
Free T4 : 7.2 (4.5-12 range)
Thyroid Peroxidase: 4 (<9)

Vitamin D 25: 22 (low)
Total Testosterone: 453 (should be higher) I keep hovering in the 400's
Free T : 92 (46-224 range)
Bioavailabile T: 187 (110-575)
SHBG 19 (10-50)

Cholesterol Total 230 (High)
HDL 27 (low) >40
Chol/HDL ratio 8.5 (High)
Triglycerides 577 (very high)
Non HDL 203 (High)

Everything else is within range.
Dr. suggests Fish Oil or prescription LOPID (Gemfibrozil)

Any suggestions ? I appreciate everyone's input, some suggestions you may have, I likely tried. Except Vitamin K, Vitamin A, and NDT or Thyroid.

• Lee DM., et al. Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone and the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older European men. Eur J Endocrinol. 2009 Dec;161(6):947-54. "Our results demonstrate an inverse relationship between 25(OH)D levels and MetS, which is independent of several confounders and PTH."

• Zofková, I., and Nedvídková, J. Hypercalcaemia and calcitonin inhibit prolactin secretion. Exp Clin Endocrinol. 1984 Dec;84(3):294-8. "The authors investigated the effect of acute hypercalcaemia induced by a 2-hour intravenous infusion of calcium gluconate (8.9 mg Ca2+/kg b. w.) on the lactotrophic secretory reserve assessed by the test with insulin hypoglycaemia (delta PRL) and the effect of an intravenous bolus of 50 IU synthetic salmon calcitonin on the lactotrophic secretory reserve assessed by means of the TRH test (delta PRL). Acute hypercalcaemia inhibits PRL levels stimulated by insulin hypoglycaemia (p less than 0.01) as well as delta PRL (p less than 0.01). Calcitonin reduces PRL levels at rest and TRH stimulated levels (p less than 0.05 and p less than 0.01, respectively) as well as delta PRL (p less than 0.01). The prolactin inhibiting effect of calcitonin resembles markedly the effect of hypercalcaemia. The exact mechanism of these changes and the physiological impact of calcitonin on the regulation of PRL secretion is not known."
(h/t danny roddy for those studies)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[D3 supplement lowered length of hospital stay and mortality for intensive care patients.] (Reference)

==(Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Vitamin D - KMUD, 2016-11-18

Last edited:
OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Thank you for the suggestions.

raypeatclips

Get your vitamin D up, you are low. Many other things you will try will fall short due to inadequate D so I think it would be pretty pointless working on other things while you have a confirmed D deficiency. I would be very interested to see how it effects the rest of your results, if you got your D up to 50 and changed nothing else.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Get your vitamin D up, you are low. Many other things you will try will fall short due to inadequate D so I think it would be pretty pointless working on other things while you have a confirmed D deficiency. I would be very interested to see how it effects the rest of your results, if you got your D up to 50 and changed nothing else.

Yeah no doubt I feel you on that. I did fill one of the Doctors prescriptions, 1000 IU of Vitamin D. She can keep her stupid Lopid.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I'll recheck in 3 months. I do want some K so the D won't deposit Calcium where it should not.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I get my Calcium from low fat Milk, Organic, or Conventional, and I eat legitimate Cheese, not the Trader Joe's ***t lol

paymanz

Posts above are great.

And my understanding is that for high TG you need to focused on improving insulin sensitivity.(like lowering your fat intake, and minerals and vitamins,control inflammation, endotoxins,eat salt to taste.)

And for high cholesterol you need to improve your thyroid function,and make sure you get enough vitamin A.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Yo, ND, I'm trying to stay a step ahead. Taking Trace Minerals by Pure Encapsulations. I don't think there's enough Selenium though. I'm definitely cutting out the fat, except my Cheese and Calves Liver. Inflammation, well I guess Aspirin. Salt, I love my Iodized Himalayan Salt, I even put it in water, and drink that ***t lol. My BP is good so why not. Improving Thyroid, well, I guess I could work on that. Thank you man, good looking on the responses, to everyone.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

If I can't get these triglycerides down with low fat, high fiber, limited calories, excercise, I may be inclined to do some Fish Oil or Niacin. Otherwise, my pancreas is going to explode. My BMI is about 28-29 %, so losing 20 pounds might help as well, idk. What do people think of Triglycerides (malefic/harm potential) in general? Am I a walking heart attack ? 577 is bad, up from 502, and 200. Over 1,000 is pancreatitis territory

paymanz

What is your average fat intake a day?calorie percent?

Have you started to do something(supplement/sunshine) for your low vitamin D level?

And also thyroid, have ever used supplemental thyroid hormone? That may help your TG level and also weight loss .especially t3.

Last edited:
OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

What is your average fat intake a day?calorie percent?

Have you started to do something(supplement/sunshine) for your low vitamin D level?

And also thyroid, have ever used supplemental thyroid hormone? That may help your TG level and also weight loss .especially t3.

Hi Paymanz, I'm now addressing the low Vitamin D with 1,000 IU daily, in conjunction with LE brand K.

Haven't supplemented T3, trying to get enough Selenium and Iodine from food though.

My fat intake was unnecessary for someone who is sedentary like me, and not working. High Triglycerides could also result from consuming more calories than needed. I'd say most of my fat was from Cheese, dairy, liver, egg yolks. I have switched to 1% milk only, I'm not going to ear cheese anymore.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I refuse to believe that.
Being a physician truly means nothing in this day and age.

Lol, damn right. They don't care to get to the bottom of why something is, only to eradicate a manifestation of the problem via drugs. In the simplest sense, and I guess their trained to treat disease, not cure it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom