Blood work/ endo/ fatigue / low iron

TacoVampire

Hi all. I've been dealing with fatigue for many years. Finally got an appointment with an endocrinologist and he prescribed me on 50MCG LEVOTHYROXINE after my blood work (which is attached). Also mentions that my iron is low.

Strange... I've been donating blood for about 1.5 years and often eat organ meat. And often drink coffee with it.
q: should I stop this?

Also eat liver at least twice a week. Could something else be going on? By body temp is usually at about 97.5F. And in the AM it's the low end of 96. THanks!

Attachments

• TACOVAMP Jan2021.pdf
    128.6 KB · Views: 35

Jem Oz

I'd hone in on your thyroid. TSH is high. Anemia is a very common symptom of hypothyroidism.

Jem Oz

Oh also, another common cause of low iron/ferritin is H. Pylori. Have you ever been tested? You mention endo symptoms - I had acute gastritis for years which turned out to be caused by H. Pylori. I killed the bacteria and my gut issues completely resolved, and my iron levels returned to normal.

Vadim

Hi all. I've been dealing with fatigue for many years. Finally got an appointment with an endocrinologist and he prescribed me on 50MCG LEVOTHYROXINE after my blood work (which is attached). Also mentions that my iron is low.

Strange... I've been donating blood for about 1.5 years and often eat organ meat. And often drink coffee with it.

Also eat liver at least twice a week. Could something else be going on? By body temp is usually at about 97.5F. And in the AM it's the low end of 96. THanks!
It makes no sense to start taking thyroid hormones until the level of ferritin, b12, folate, vitamin d3, magnesium, selenium and zinc is completely normalized. It is highly likely that hormone levels will recover on their own after the levels of all these co-factors have normalized. Very common thing

SeamusR

Have you tried LactoFerrin ?, great for iron deficiency and any bacterial, viral or fungal infections.

redsun

Your name and the fact that you need iron is ironic. If you have been giving blood you will eventually cause iron deficiency. Iron absorption is low even from heme-iron so food is not going to cut. Body temp is low as well, low iron will lead to low thyroid and thus heat production.

Your tests show you need iron. You do need to take it and stop depleting it. You can also eat more iron-rich foods but coffee is not really an issue. Just stop donating and supplement so levels can go back up.

I highly suggest Proferrin's heme-iron supplement. Way better absorbed and easier on the gut. They have a no one which less junk in it:

There is also evidence supplementing vitamin A as well can help anemia better than iron alone. If you eat organ meat your vitamin A levels are probably in a good spot though.

Last edited: