Blood Tests After High Stress And Extreme Diets

gqoq

I need help. Sorry if the read is long but tl;dr recovering from strange keto and carnivore diets and extreme stress, and I've been Peaty for several months. Low B12 and CO2 on the low end back in May. What blood tests to get?

I had a lot of traumatic experiences in the past couple years but being keto and carnivore diets were certainly contributing factors. I started some strange diets in 2016 on and off for fun and doubled down because a close relative got Alzheimer's very young and I was a little desperate to find some solution that might protect me from the same fate. I've been normal keto, carnivore, and, for a short time, raw carnivore. I used to have a bucket of tallow that I'd scoop out of and eat straight. Obviously there were a lot of cheat meals, but there was a 2 month keto streak, a couple 1 months, some weeks, and a lot of time where I was just off the wall and not keto at all, rationalizing it with the other stresses going on in my life. I could seriously impress you all with some of the cheats. I also was living in a van for a large part of this -- long story behind that, but basically I thought it would be a fun to larp as a journalist and simulate being poor and free from the system, of which I was neither. I've left some details out for brevity but I think the gist is clear. I've reintroduced (consistent) carbs since March or April 2016, and become increasingly Peaty since August.

Currently my brain barely works, I suck at reading, I lose track of conversations sometimes, and I'm unmotivated as heck. I ballooned from 170 to 190 (6'1" male) when I reintroduced (consistent) carbs, and 190 to 215 when I stopped restricting altogether. Things certainly improved and I'm not as jittery and weird and antisocial and depressed anymore, but I'm not where I want to be. Lot to fix in lifestyle, but structure and energy are interdependent. Right now I'm hovering around 210 and peaty.

Right now my priority is getting back to where I was as quickly as possible. I can fix other issues later, but I suspect my current experience is a typical combination of high stress and extreme diets. I had a blood test incidentally when I got a muscle strain checked in late May and my B12 was 324 pg/mL. Not sure if anything else is of note.

Folate SerPl-mCnc 11.1 ng/mL
Vit B12 SerPl-mCnc 324 pg/mL
Basophils/leuk NFr Bld Auto 0.7 %
Eosinophil/leuk NFr Bld Auto 2.2 %
Monocytes/leuk NFr Bld Auto 6.7 %
Lymphocytes/leuk NFr Bld Auto 40.6 %
Neutrophils/leuk NFr Bld Auto 49.8 %
Basophils # Bld Auto 50 cells/uL
Eosinophil # Bld Auto 158 cells/uL
Monocytes # Bld Auto 482 cells/uL
Lymphocytes # Bld Auto 2923 cells/uL
Neutrophils # Bld Auto 3586 cells/uL
PMV Bld Rees-Ecker 9.7 fL 2019-05-28
Platelet # Bld Auto 241 Thousand/uL
RDW RBC Auto-Rto 13.2 %
MCHC RBC Auto-mCnc 34.9 g/dL
MCH RBC Qn Auto 30.3 pg
MCV RBC Auto 86.7 fL
Hct VFr Bld Auto 43.8 %
Hgb Bld-mCnc 15.3 g/dL
RBC # Bld Auto 5.05 Million/uL
WBC # Bld Auto 7.2 Thousand/uL
TSH SerPl-aCnc 1.70 mIU/L
ALT SerPl-cCnc 39 U/L
AST SerPl-cCnc 24 U/L
ALP SerPl-cCnc 67 U/L
Bilirub SerPl-mCnc 0.6 mg/dL
Albumin/Glob SerPl 2.3 (calc)
Globulin Ser Calc-mCnc 2.1 g/dL (calc)
Albumin SerPl-mCnc 4.8 g/dL
Prot SerPl-mCnc 6.9 g/dL
Calcium SerPl-mCnc 9.4 mg/dL
CO2 SerPl-sCnc 21 mmol/L
Chloride SerPl-sCnc 104 mmol/L
Potassium SerPl-sCnc 4.0 mmol/L
Sodium SerPl-sCnc 140 mmol/L
BUN/Creat SerPl NOT APPLICABLE (calc)
GFR/BSA pred.black SerPlBld MDRD-ArVRat 139 mL/min/1.73m2
eGFR NON-AFR. AMERICAN 120 mL/min/1.73m2
Creat SerPl-mCnc 0.85 mg/dL
BUN SerPl-mCnc 17 mg/dL
Glucose SerPl-mCnc 86 mg/dL

Respiratory rate 12 /min
Pulse 71 /min
Systolic BP 125 mm[Hg]
Diastolic BP 80 mm[Hg]
Temperature 36.5 Cel
Height 185.42 cm
Weight 90.72 kg
BMI (Body Mass Index) 26.39 kg/m2

What tests do you think I should get for all the horrible ***t that could be caused by keto/carnivore and/or extreme stress? I was thinking at least iron/ferritin, full thyroid, and PUFA status, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears, even begging for your help. I just want to be normal again.

Last edited:

berk

So you think that we all know what all these names and mg/dL amounts means? haha

Anyways, tell us how your diet looks like right now. you still on ketogenic diet? do you produce ketones?
Symptoms like that your brains not "work" are standard carb flu signs.
Peope have this all the time in the beginning when they starting a ketogenic diet.
Probable you have problems to fully adapting to it.
if you want be fully ketosis that you must follow a diet thats has high fat, no carbs and low protein.
Carnivore diets are high fat, no carbs and high protein?
High protein kicks you out ketosis so that why you experience carb flu symptoms like "brains dont work "

Last edited:
OP
G

gqoq

So you think that we all know what all these names and mg/dL amounts means? haha
mg/dL = milligrams/decalitre. Is there some other standard on this forum? Apologies if so, I'm braindead right now haha.

Anyways, tell us how your diet looks like right now. you still on ketogenic diet? do you produce ketones?
I'm not trying to be ketogenic at all, that's in the past. I'm recovering from keto, meaning I'm peaty right now.

Main staples vary, but lately it's extra salty buttery grilled cheese, OJ, and cane sugar. A few weeks ago I was eating a lot of chicken and rice and OJ. I eat a raw carrot every day.

berk

There is not really a Peat diet.
Peat recommend some foods and is against some foods, but this will not saying youre body responding good on it.

For example:
Peat recommend caffeine/coffee, but lot of people don't react good on it.
Peat recommend dairy, but lot of people don't react good on it.
Peat recommend high sugar diet, but lot of people getting fat on it.

You must figure it out by yourself how your body reacts. Its all trail and error.
maybe you are brain dead because of the dairy, or maybe you have very bad insulin sensitivity. Who knows...

Start making a meal or diet plan and stuck with it for couple of days.
See how your body react on it.
positive reaction? then keep it that way.
Negatieve reaction? try find out what that is.

Its is long proces that can take months, so be patient.

Last edited:

schultz

Peat recommend high sugar diet, but lot of people getting fat on it.

High sugar with starch and fat maybe. It would be remarkable if somebody got fat off of skim milk and fruit.

berk

High sugar with starch and fat maybe. It would be remarkable if somebody got fat off of skim milk and fruit.
i am not makeing this up. i have read this here couple times.

GreekDemiGod

Why don't you do Carnivore with raw honey and cheese added for starters?
You're in for a long journey of recovery, might as well start slow

OP
G

gqoq

Why don't you do Carnivore with raw honey and cheese added for starters?
You're in for a long journey of recovery, might as well start slow
I've always eaten cheese. I started eating sugary stuff like honey in April or May.

Apologies if things weren't clear, I've never really written down all the stuff that's happened this past year so I got a little rambly haha. I've been off carnivore since March and increasingly incorporating Dr. Peat's ideas (don't restrict sugar, etc) since August. I feel better but not 100%. When I posted I was mainly interested in learning which blood tests might have tanked due to my stupid diet and lifestyle. Then I could get those tests and focus on them.

Anyway I got impatient (not with you guys, just the whole situation -- I want to feel good again!) so I just ordered a bunch of tests and I'm at Quest right now. Will post the results here when I get them, at the very least for records and transparency.

Last edited:
OP
G

gqoq

This (starch and fat and sugar) is pretty much what I did when I got serious about refeeding, so the weight gain makes a lot of sense.