Blood Test Interpretation Resources. Don't Know What Your Labs Mean Or Need Extra Insight?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello everyone.

So many people need help interpreting labs and finding good and helpful resources online seems to be very difficult so I've created a few resources myself.

Here are a few:
How to interpret your testosterone blood-test results in order to focus on what's most important
How to interpret your cholesterol blood test results to ensure optimal testosterone production and health
How to interpret your cortisol tests (blood, saliva & DUTCH test) for maximum anabolism and health
How to interpret your thyroid test results to get rid of hypothyroid symptoms for good!
How to interpret your iron panel blood test for optimal energy and health - check out this one just for the lols...

I'll be doing more in the near future and will then update this thread when they are done.

Vinny

Hello everyone.

So many people need help interpreting labs and finding good and helpful resources online seems to be very difficult so I've created a few resources myself.

Here are a few:
How to interpret your testosterone blood-test results in order to focus on what's most important
How to interpret your cholesterol blood test results to ensure optimal testosterone production and health
How to interpret your cortisol tests (blood, saliva & DUTCH test) for maximum anabolism and health
How to interpret your thyroid test results to get rid of hypothyroid symptoms for good!
How to interpret your iron panel blood test for optimal energy and health - check out this one just for the lols...

I'll be doing more in the near future and will then update this thread when they are done.
Thanks a lot

yerrag

These are nice @Hans. Thanks!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@yerrag @Blossom Thanks guys. I hope it's helpful to people. I'll add more over time. Maybe this thread can be made a sticky so others can easily find it too?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Kingpinguin

Hello everyone.

Here are a few:

Maximize dopamine and live life on cloud nine with laser focus, drive, ambition, euphoria & great energy » MenElite

This article of yours says cacao contains the ergoline bromocriptine
”Cocoa contains both bromocriptine and caffeine which increases dopamine.”
Is this true? You have any reference for that? Tried to google could not find any.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Amazoniac
Maximize dopamine and live life on cloud nine with laser focus, drive, ambition, euphoria & great energy » MenElite

This article of yours says cacao contains the ergoline bromocriptine
”Cocoa contains both bromocriptine and caffeine which increases dopamine.”
Is this true? You have any reference for that? Tried to google could not find any.
It was actually based on what Peat said here: Cacoa Extends Lifespan And Keeps Dopamine High
He also doesn't give a reference either. But whether it contains bromocriptine or not, it's still pro-dopamine.

Mito

Nice write up and examples.

Here is one a little different than your examples. How would you interpret a very exaggerated free CAR but middle of the range values at waking, afternoon and night with normal total cortisol production? Similar to the example below.
7C9CAD2F-0B88-48F0-A1DD-BF3FD58C8A73.jpeg

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Nice write up and examples.

Here is one a little different than your examples. How would you interpret a very exaggerated free CAR but middle of the range values at waking, afternoon and night with normal total cortisol production? Similar to the example below.
View attachment 16576
Thanks man.
The cortisol rhythm looks perfect except the for CAR. DHEA is mid-range (showing no overstimulation of adrenals), metabolized cortisol is mid-range so I'd say everything is good. I won't really worry about that exaggerated CAR at all, because the rest is great and that rise is just temporary.
Free cortisol is really high though which could just indicate low cortisol binding protein.
Bloods would go nicely here to see where total cortisol levels are at.
DHEA-S and estrogen would also be good markers to look at.

YourUniverse

@Hans , are you familiar with potassium and its blood analysis? In a recent blood test, my potassium was 5.4, above the range of 3.5 - 5.2 mmol/L. Do you have an idea as to what this means or how to fix it?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans , are you familiar with potassium and its blood analysis? In a recent blood test, my potassium was 5.4, above the range of 3.5 - 5.2 mmol/L. Do you have an idea as to what this means or how to fix it?
Have you checked your kidney function?
Have you introduced a new supplement recently?
It could have been an acute effect so it might be worth checking in a week or so. Did anything happen recently, such as onset of new symptoms?

YourUniverse

Have you checked your kidney function?
Have you introduced a new supplement recently?
It could have been an acute effect so it might be worth checking in a week or so. Did anything happen recently, such as onset of new symptoms?
Thanks for getting back to me.

As far as kidney function:
Creatinine - 77 (67-117 umol/L) "normal"
eGFR - 115 (>=90 ml/min/173 m2) "normal"

I started supplementing magnesium carbonate within the last week or two, about a tablespoon daily. I also started drinking a lot more reduced-fat milk and organic sugar.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for getting back to me.

As far as kidney function:
Creatinine - 77 (67-117 umol/L) "normal"
eGFR - 115 (>=90 ml/min/173 m2) "normal"

I started supplementing magnesium carbonate within the last week or two, about a tablespoon daily. I also started drinking a lot more reduced-fat milk and organic sugar.
High aldosterone can waste potassium, so low aldosterone could increase potassium. Progesterone is a mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist and could spare potassium.
There is also evidence to suggest that serum potassium correlates with insulin resistance and that people with insulin resistance experienced episodic hyperkalemia more frequently than those without (R).
It could also be thyroid related. Giving T4 can increase total body potassium and total body potassium changes were closely related to total plasma T3 concentrations (R).

Milk is a good source of potassium, so perhaps the increased intake could have led to higher potassium in the blood temporarily.
Increased potassium release from endogenous sources, such as high cell turnover or tissue damage, are always temporary, but if it remains chronic, it's usually due to defective excretion.
Since your kidney function is normal, the increase in potassium is most likely just temporary. Perhaps you can check 2 weeks later and see if it's still elevated.

YourUniverse

High aldosterone can waste potassium, so low aldosterone could increase potassium. Progesterone is a mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist and could spare potassium.
There is also evidence to suggest that serum potassium correlates with insulin resistance and that people with insulin resistance experienced episodic hyperkalemia more frequently than those without (R).
It could also be thyroid related. Giving T4 can increase total body potassium and total body potassium changes were closely related to total plasma T3 concentrations (R).

Milk is a good source of potassium, so perhaps the increased intake could have led to higher potassium in the blood temporarily.
Increased potassium release from endogenous sources, such as high cell turnover or tissue damage, are always temporary, but if it remains chronic, it's usually due to defective excretion.
Since your kidney function is normal, the increase in potassium is most likely just temporary. Perhaps you can check 2 weeks later and see if it's still elevated.
Very grateful for your feedback Hans, thank you.