Blood sugar, insulin response RP based introduction

Gypsumking

I think you mean william beaumont

He was an interesting guy, here is a link where I learned more about him: Alexis St. Martin: The Man With A Hole In His Stomach

At one point he put a bunch of different things tied together into this guy's stomach, one of which was raw meat. I don't think any of the things including the cooked meat were digested. He did say that vegetables digested slower then meat though, which was interesting

Badger

yeah a blood sugar monitor would be valuable. You could cook and eat the same dish but with different types of proteins or fats and see how your blood sugar reacts say 1.5 hours after the meal.

The only reason I know meat is rough on me is because of blood sugar readings. PUFA will lower blood sugar for a couple days before rocketing it higher for me.

There are lots of hormones that go into blood sugar. If you have high testosterone, blood sugar levels will be lower. If you have high cortisol, blood sugar levels will be higher. The hormones are not the issue though, it is whatever activities are raising or lowering those hormones. EMF may be raising cortisol. Too many orgasms may raise prolactin in men. Bad sleep may throw lots of hormones off. Working from the foundation of hormones is not as effective as figuring out what is causing the hormones.

If it has been an issue for a while, it is probably related to environment, habits, or relationships.
How long after eating should blood sugar monitor be used?

Sven

You can get a blood sugar monitor from walmart for really cheap and start testing your blood sugar before and after meals. That would be helpful I think in understanding your body's response to different foods.

I would say the ray peat diet in particular can seriously mess up your blood sugars. All that juice and protein.

Personally, I find protein raises blood sugar the most. I can eat a lot of sugar and fat if I am not consuming protein. If I consume protein, it is good to avoid a lot of other food until my body has processed the protein. Otherwise I get blood sugar spikes and need to take a lot of insulin (I am a type 1 diabetic)

Many here swear by the randle cycle and put fat and carbs against each other. But I have found it is more about protein and carbs as causing problems for me. Consuming them separately solves a lot of those problems
That's very interesting. For me sugar, especially if solved in a liquid, gives the fastest blood sugar raise. Very effective against hypoglycemia. Protein is kind of devious, I find that protein on its own, like a whey protein shake or a meal of just eggs, especially in the morning, can raise the sugar significantly. But protein in a mixed meal or protein consumed later in the day - that is, when not in a fasting state - doesn't do much.

Gypsumking

That's very interesting. For me sugar, especially if solved in a liquid, gives the fastest blood sugar raise. Very effective against hypoglycemia. Protein is kind of devious, I find that protein on its own, like a whey protein shake or a meal of just eggs, especially in the morning, can raise the sugar significantly. But protein in a mixed meal or protein consumed later in the day - that is, when not in a fasting state - doesn't do much.
I would think that is because your body is crying out for sugar in the morning after fasting and is converting much of the protein to sugar

InChristAlone

This is very interesting to hear about protein @Tarmander , my husband clearly has high cortisol issues low T and fat gain in the belly and he consumes large amounts of protein very quickly. We tested his blood sugar a long time ago after a big burger because he was feeling hungry again and it was high! He loves consuming 30 grams of whey protein straight away upon awakening and I think it's only increasing his cortisol even further. He does eat it with a glass of OJ and a granola bar but still that's a lot of very quickly digest protein in a fasted state.

Tarmander

This is very interesting to hear about protein @Tarmander , my husband clearly has high cortisol issues low T and fat gain in the belly and he consumes large amounts of protein very quickly. We tested his blood sugar a long time ago after a big burger because he was feeling hungry again and it was high! He loves consuming 30 grams of whey protein straight away upon awakening and I think it's only increasing his cortisol even further. He does eat it with a glass of OJ and a granola bar but still that's a lot of very quickly digest protein in a fasted state.
yeah protein is pretty insulinogenic. Nothing beats juice or pure sugar for raising blood sugar fast, but protein makes blood sugar stay higher for longer. Sounds like your husband is on his way to diabetes

InChristAlone

yeah protein is pretty insulinogenic. Nothing beats juice or pure sugar for raising blood sugar fast, but protein makes blood sugar stay higher for longer. Sounds like your husband is on his way to diabetes
Yeah I think his insulin is high.

So I was thinking of you when I heard that high temperature cooking destroys thiamine and you said raw meat doesn't do the same to your blood sugar, maybe you need the thiamine to process it?

Tarmander

Yeah I think his insulin is high.

So I was thinking of you when I heard that high temperature cooking destroys thiamine and you said raw meat doesn't do the same to your blood sugar, maybe you need the thiamine to process it?
Could be! Wish there was more science around raw meat, but its pretty much at the "seems to work better" stage

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals