Blood Shot Eyes After Shower

Brandon

Hello everyone,

I tried to make sure there wasnt a thread that already looked at this specific problem, so I hope I'm not repeating something.

Since I was child (I'm 30 now) my eyes would become almost completely blood shot after taking a shower. I mean, the entire sclera would be fire red, and I would look like the walking dead.

I have basically just dealt with the issue by applying eye drops every morning and just wait about 10 mins to let it clear up then forget about it. Ive Been doing this for years. But now I want to understand why this has been happening EVERYDAY for basically my entire youth.

In general, I would also that my eyes tend to be slightly red upon waking and/or becomes red throughout the day, resulting in about 2-3 eye drop applications per day. However, I'd like to focus specifically on the problem of red eyes after taking a shower.

This may be a long shot, but is there any material from Dr. Peat on this particular issue?

Thanks,
BC

Stramonium

I'm guessing it has to do with water temperature. Warm water causes vasodilation. Try a cold a shower

Ukall

How do your eyes react when you take a cold shower vs a hot shower?
Also, do you wash your face with water? Do you put water in your eyes?
Shampoo, does it get into your eyes too?
Have you ever tried using swimming glasses while showering?

Simonsays

resulting in about 2-3 eye drop applications per day.

Be very careful with these. Many contain preservatives that actually that can make your eyes feel worse long term. You can develop a condition called dry eye. There is a website/forum The Dry Eye Zone which can give you more information.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

How do your eyes react when you take a cold shower vs a hot shower?
Also, do you wash your face with water? Do you put water in your eyes?
Shampoo, does it get into your eyes too?
Have you ever tried using swimming glasses while showering?

I've not tried taking a cold shower. I will try it and see what happens.

Yes, I use water when washing my face, which I almost always do while in the shower. I never try to get water in my eyes, but I would assume some water hits everyone's eyes in the shower.

I try to avoid getting shampoo in my eyes; like most would, I just close my eyes while I'm washing my hair and keep them closed until I've rinsed my hair of the shampoo. My eyes are red even when I don't wash my hair or face. I can get in the shower, do nothing but stand there for 5 or so minutes with washing or anything, get out, and my eyes are fire red.

No, I've never tried using swimming goggles.

Last edited:
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Be very careful with these. Many contain preservatives that actually that can make your eyes feel worse long term. You can develop a condition called dry eye. There is a website/forum The Dry Eye Zone which can give you more information.

Thanks for this. Yes, I've heard of this before. I am wary of becoming too dependent on eye-drops (which I guess I already am), but at this point I'm facing two options: 1) get off eyes drops and scar everyone and myself with satan eyes or 2) get some temporary relieve throughout the day and risk long term side effects. I'm hoping there is a third option that will help me get and maintain clear eyes without using eye-drops as a crutch.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

Oh, I should mention the brand of eye-drops I use: "Naphcon A, eye allergy relief"

Ukall

I can get in the shower, do nothing but stand there for 5 or so minutes with washing or anything, get out, and my eyes are fire red.
Tell us how your eyes become after a cold shower.
I mentioned the swimming goggles, because it could be the steam getting into your eyes, who knows.

Pointless

Naphcon A contains Naphazoline, which acts like adrenaline on the alpha receptors. With prolonged use, you become dependent on it and get permanent vasodilation.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

Tell us how your eyes become after a cold shower.
I mentioned the swimming goggles, because it could be the steam getting into your eyes, who knows.

Makes sense. Cool, I'll try it.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

Naphcon A contains Naphazoline, which acts like adrenaline on the alpha receptors. With prolonged use, you become dependent on it and get permanent vasodilation.

I see, thanks. I'll read up on that and learn more.

Mittir

You can try chlorine filter and it helped a lot with red eye.
Use of cold water is worth trying. Now, i mostly use cold water
and have not noticed any red eye issue. I used to shower in hot water.
If cold water does not help, then you can try chlorine filter.
It really improves hair and skin quality.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

You can try chlorine filter and it helped a lot with red eye.
Use of cold water is worth trying. Now, i mostly use cold water
and have not noticed any red eye issue. I used to shower in hot water.
If cold water does not help, then you can try chlorine filter.
It really improves hair and skin quality.

Good idea. Thanks.

judge

Mittir is correct! it is the chlorine! and if your water treatment plant used chlormines, they will be worse! get a good charcoal shower filter! I bet millions of folks have gotten lung cancer from the fricken chlorine in the water!

Ewelina

This might be unrelated to your problem but in my and my husband's case red eyes are caused by endotoxins. I don't know how is your digestion and gut issues but in our case indigestible fiber and starchy foods result in many endotoxin symptoms and red eyes are always one of them.

I'm just speculating here but maybe hot water activates your metabolism or speeds up some proceses/digestive juices flowing leading to some intestinal permeability which results in endotoxins getting into your blood stream and showing in the eyes.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

This might be unrelated to your problem but in my and my husband's case red eyes are caused by endotoxins. I don't know how is your digestion and gut issues but in our case indigestible fiber and starchy foods result in many endotoxin symptoms and red eyes are always one of them.

I'm just speculating here but maybe hot water activates your metabolism or speeds up some proceses/digestive juices flowing leading to some intestinal permeability which results in endotoxins getting into your blood stream and showing in the eyes.
Those an interesting thoughts. I'm not really familiar with the role of endtoxins, but I will look it up. Thanks.

Pointless

Have you made any progress on this? I suffer from bloodshot eyes after use of naphazoline.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

Hey people. Sorry for the delay. I did try the "cold" shower; actually, it was only slightly cold. Like getting into the pool, cold, then you get used to it and it just feels neutral. Unfortunately, my eyes were still noticeably red after the shower. I might say that they weren't as red, but I should probably try a few more times before I can really say anything.