Blood Pressure Regulation, Heart Failure And Muscle Atrophy - Kmud, 2012-07-20

OP
Giraffe

Giraffe

Attachments

• High intake of saturated fat, but not polyunsaturated fat, improves survival in heart failure.pdf
    336.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Low-density lipoprotein in the setting of congestive heart failure- Is lower really better_.pdf
    322.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:

burtlancast

Raymond Peat, Ph.D.

Blood Pressure Regulation, Heart Failure and Muscle Atrophy

KMUD, 20-07-2012​

(Transcribed by Giraffe, verified by Burtlancast)

HD - Andrew Murray
HD2 - Sarah Johanesson Murray
RP - Ray Peat
SE - Sound engineer

HD: Would you just let the listeners know your academic and professional background?

RP: I studied biology for a PhD at University of Oregon, 1968 to 1972. And before that I'd been in various things, linguistics, art; I taught a variety of health related courses: psychology, philosophy, and things that were perspectives on my basic orientation, which is biological (but biological in a very broad sense). My graduate study in biology concentrated on aging of the reproductive system. But the reason I went to the graduate school, is I was intending to study brain biology. Because of my previous work in linguistics and psychology I wanted to understand how the brain handled consciousness and language. But, at the university, I discovered that the biologists were really no more scientific than the people in the humanities and social sciences. It was very heavily ideological. So that was why I shifted over to the other end of the organism, where I could look at more physical, biochemical processes.

HD2: It sound very well rounded, because the psyche affects biochemistry, and biochemistry affects the psyche, right?

RP: Yah.

HD: Well, the subjects that I wanted to expand on with the research that you have done and the articles that you have written relates to your newsletter for this month, and the subjects were basically blood pressure regulation, muscle atrophy and heart failure in perspective, along with edema.
Please remind me how many years have you been purporting that saturated fats are better than polyunsaturated fats?

RP: Really, I started thinking intensively about it at the end of the seventies. But I ran into the question very directly in aging research in the reproductive system, because, way back in the 1930’s and 40’s, people were showing that estrogen accelerated the breakdown of polyunsaturated fats, which intensified the effects of estrogen and accelerated aging, especially in the reproductive tissues. It took several years after finishing my dissertation before I got around to really concentrating on the nutritional implications of that, and emphasizing the benefits of coconut oil around 1978 or 79.

HD2: So way back then, all of this research literature exposing the deleterious effects of vegetable oils was available for people to view?

RP: Yah. By the 1940’s or 50’s, the polyunsaturated fats, both fish oil and seed oil, had been incriminated in intensifying some of the estrogen and age related diseases. The Shute family, who were the first ones to popularize the therapeutic use of vitamin E, started out with it preventing blood clots related to high estrogen. And that overlaps with the estrogen activating the breakdown production of free radicals from the polyunsaturated fats, and causing vascular disease, and so on. So vitamin E was a fertility drug and an anti-estrogen nutrient, as well as a protection against the polyunsaturated fats.

HD2: Lots of people consider vitamin E to be an antioxidant that help protect us against free radicals; but you are saying that this vegetable oil, fish oils, and the other liquid vegetable oils, are all free radical producing substances, apart from olive oil ?

RP: Yea. In the 1940’s, before that antioxidant concept was introduced, vitamin E was being thought of as an anti-estrogen. But in 1942, the estrogen industry basically took over the FDA and public consciousness, and suppressed everything that incriminated estrogen in aging, miscarriage and so on. So, since vitamin E was by the Shute family and others identified as an anti-estrogen, the estrogen industry shifted the emphasis to protection against free radical oxidation. There was very quickly an awareness that there was an inverse relationship between the polyunsaturated fats and vitamin E. If you increased your vitamin E greatly you could prevent damage from either estrogen or polyunsaturated fats; but with aging and the accumulation in the body, you had to increase the amounts of vitamin E to prevent miscarriage for example.
My thesis advisor, Arnold Soderwall, did experiments in which he showed that you could prevent middle-aged infertility just by increasing the amount of vitamin E in the animals diets progressively. Extrapolating to human levels, it would be the equivalent of 400 units of vitamin E per day by the age of about 45 to maintain fertility; but that amount increases if you increase the amount of polyunsaturated fats in the diet. So, if you carefully avoid the polyunsaturates, your requirement for vitamin E is very low, though it creeps up gradually with aging.

HD2: So maybe the dietary amount that you can get from the foods you eat would be enough.

HD2: But with increasing polyunsaturates in the usual industrial diet, the need for vitamin E has gone up.

RP: Yah. And it very quickly reaches the point where you can no longer stop the free radical production just by increasing the vitamin E.

HD: There was a 2009 and a 2011 peer review article proving that saturated fat intake but not PUFA improved mortality and morbidity in patients with heart failure.

So, the scientific community is pointing to something the medical community still hasn’t catch-ed on.

RP: Yea. That 2011 study was by Galvao and others, T.F. Galvao.

HD: Do you have anything more to say from the article about the morbidity and mortality improvements?

RP: Just that the high intake of saturated fats improves survival, while a high intake of polyunsaturated fats impairs it.

HD2: And how does the level of triglyceride in your blood affect this?

RP: According to T. Horwich* and others, the 2009 study [mentioned above], there have been several studies that show that a higher level of lipoproteins, total cholesterol, low and high density lipoproteins, and triglycerides, where all associated with improved survival in heart failure patients.

(*: “Low-density lipoprotein in the setting of congestive heart failure: is lower really better?”, Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2009 )

HD: So a higher cholesterol is directly responsible for an improved outcome. That's pretty staggering as far as I am concerned, because the medical community at large is telling people not to eat saturated animal fat because it raises cholesterol, and cholesterol is bad for you. You have been talking about this for years and years. Here we have published peer-reviewed articles by medical Universities in Los Angeles showing the improved outcome.

HD2: Why did they get so back to front?

RP: The seed oil industry created that myth because they found that eating a lot of seed oil would lower your cholesterol; and since you have cholesterol in arteriosclerotic arteries, they said it must be causing the arteriosclerosis. That was never demonstrated; and in fact it protects you against artherosclerosis among other things.

HD2: Wasn't it the Japanese that came up with an article showing it ?

RP: Yea. That there’s polyunsaturated fat in the plaques in the old deteriorated arteries.

HD2: And oxidized omega-3 and omega-6. So that is underneath the cholesterol bandage; and the cholesterol bandage is just trying to stop that rapid rate of oxidation.

RP: Yea. The age pigment is the product of breakdown of polyunsaturated fats.

HD2: So we could look at cholesterol as an antioxidant that is slowing down that rapid oxidation of free radical damage to our arteries? The cholesterol is actually bandaging that up and acting as an antioxidant?

RP: That was demonstrated and published already in a major medical textbook in 1922.

HD2: 1922! (chuckles)

HD: This is where you mention this often cited quote: "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes.” (chuckles)

RP: Well, if you put millions of dollars in advertising and rights...

HD: Yea. Let's take this first caller. You are on the air.

Caller: Hello. I am 68, very active, and I am eating yogurt, fruit, fish and fresh vegetables with olive oil now for about six months. There is a lot of stroke and heart failure in my family tree. My doctor recently prescribed a blood pressure medicine; it makes me inactive, unenergetic. And for the past two weeks, I've been taking a tablespoon of chia seeds into my diet, which is very strictly kept; and they do in fact give me energy, and I am feeling really well. I am wondering what’s the doctor’s opinion of my counteracting the blood pressure medicine with chia seeds.

HD: You didn't mention what the blood-pressure medicine was.

Caller: Amlodipine [Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker.]

RP: They say that it was to lower or inhibit the angiotensin-converting enzyme. That is one heart drug that I think is probably beneficial; it lowers inflammation (if it is the one I am thinking of). But I don't know the brand names of them.

HD2: What do you think about the way she's been feeling with the chia seeds, helping re-energize her after she started taking this blood pressure drug that’s making her lethargic?

RP: I don't know of anything in the chia seeds that would be beneficial.

HD2: They are very mucilaginous, and they could be acting as a laxative to your bowels. Have your bowel movements improved?

Caller: They were never haywire.

HD2: I know that they traditionally are used as an energizer, but I don't know what compound in it that has been reported to be energizing.

RP: If it works as a bulk laxative it would make you feel better by lowering bacterial endotoxin.

Caller: Thank you very much.

HD: Dr. Peat, regarding the outcome in heart failure, these recent articles about saturated fats we’ve mentioned found higher cholesterol and higher triglycerides improving the outcome in heart failure, which is completely opposite what we have normally being told, for whatever reasons. Why is saturated fat protective and why is cholesterol protective? Cholesterol is not something you want to avoid, 180 or 190 is not a problem, and you've always said that people after the age of 50 want about 200, and even if it's between 200 and 220, it's actually not a problem. Whereas the medical community want to put you on statin drugs; and now many of these have been recalled because leading to other diseases. What is your take on the saturated fats in terms of their anti-inflammatory effects, or their heart-protective effects?

RP: I think it's all one thing for all of the systems. The saturated fats tend to inhibit the stress hormones which produce a shift to fat metabolism away from sugar metabolism by liberating fats from storage. Once you get too much of the polyunsaturated fats in your body, a little stress tends to become a big stress because that type of fat intensifies the stress hormones, creating a vicious circle. The saturated fats turn off the inflammation rather than amplifying it.
There was a Hindu [A. A. Nanji] who about 35 years ago noticed that alcoholics in the Indian regions that use a lot of butter didn't get liver disease. And so, he did animal experiments and found that butter or other saturated fats protect the liver. And there have been a lot of studies since then published in the US showing that even large amounts of alcohol don't hurt the liver if the person is getting saturated fats. But if they get any of the polyunsaturated fats, their hepatitis flares up and cirrhosis.

And the same with cancer: if you look at the ratio of saturated to unsaturated fats in the body (they call it the saturation index), that goes: the more saturated your fats are the less susceptible you are to developing cancer. So, fibrotic, inflammatory and tumor diseases, as well as heart failure and blood clotting diseases are all closely associated with the polyunsaturated fats, and so protected against by the saturated ones.

HD2: So these polyunsaturates really interfere with energy production. You mentioned that if someone took a bulk laxative they would feel better because of lowering endotoxin in the gut. And that is another thing that severely interferes with energy production in our body?
So can you tell us a little bit about endotoxin and how that poisons us? And what foods we should avoid in order to not support the growth of those bacteria that produce the endotoxin?

RP: The endotoxin, one of the first things that it produces is nitric oxide, which is a vasodilator. And both nitric oxide and endotoxin increase the production of serotonin. And all of these, besides inhibiting the production of energy - using oxygen and shifting it over to lactic acid production - all of these increase the leakiness of blood vessels.

And if you simply turn off the supply of sugar -- in diabetes, for example, you can't metabolize sugar; in starvation you don't get the sugar in your diet; in hypothyroidism you are under stress and so you are shifting over to liberating fats and burning fats instead of sugar – so, in anything that impairs energy production, whether it's the toxins, starting with endotoxin, nitric oxide and serotonin, or if it's the actual environmental interference with your production and supply of energy, all of these make your blood vessels leaky.

All of them raise free fatty acids which interfere with the use of oxygen. And the free fatty acids lead to a whole cascade of inflammatory mediators, especially prostaglandins. And the prostaglandins, in turn, interact, making more nitric oxide and other inflammatory things. So, once you get loaded up with polyunsaturated fats, all of these things tend to interactivate: the fats lower your thyroid function and increase your estrogen production, both of which intensify the inflammation, leakiness and loss of energy production.

HD2: So other things that can influence the intestinal health and the dilation of these blood vessels in the intestine are things like starchy carbohydrates that feed the bacteria that produce these endotoxins. The best thing is not to feed these bacteria by avoiding starches.
You also recommend carrots and bamboo shoots because they are like anti-bacterial fibers, that the bacteria can't seem to feed on.

RP: Yah, it’s extremely rare for a person to have microorganisms that can survive a good supply of either carrots or bamboo fiber. Certain organisms can adapt to live on them, but it's very rare.

HD2: And also herbs like golden seal, and cascara bark; those herbs can decrease the number of endotoxin-producing bacteria in the digestive tract. And therefore they can help to protect your liver.

RP: And actually the saturated fats, that's one of the direct effects: they are antibacterial.

HD2: Yah, coconut oil is antibacterial. Nothing grows in it. It just sits there for ages and doesn't change (chuckles).
What about the other things that interfere with energy production? You were writing in your last newsletter about the substitution of iron for copper and the respiratory enzyme. So, is this with a copper deficiency and an iron overload? Is that how this is seen?

RP: Yah. Just the diet can affect it; but stress tends to intensify it. Not getting enough light. Anything that stresses your energy production system, such as high estrogen, or nitric oxide, or low thyroid, or too much darkness will tend to make you loose copper from your respiratory system. And as the copper gets lost, iron just tends to fill in for it, binding to some of the same enzymes.

HD2: I know shell-fish are a rich source of copper, but with the current situation with our Pacific Ocean having Japanese debris wash up on the shores, what would you recommend a good source of copper?

RP: Liver. Just beef liver, calf liver...

HD2: Buffalo liver?

RP: Yah. It has a lot of iron too, but the copper tends to concentrate in the liver.

HD: So the place that copper occupies in the respiratory enzyme has a greater affinity for copper than it does for iron. So if you have an adequate supply of copper than it will get picked up?

HD: There is lots of things you have written about iron, how destructive it is, how readily it reacts. That's the main problem, that it's very reactive in the body.

HD2: It's another oxidant.

RP: Yea. And taking a supplement of free metal (iron, zinc or copper) in the form of a free metal, it can interact with nutrients in your digestive system and oxidize them. But iron is the worst one to take as a supplement.

HD2: And another thing for our listeners to avoid is cooking acidic products in cast-iron pans, or making soups in cast-iron stock pots. Because you will be dissolving that iron when you cook in them.
Dr. Peat, can you tell us some more about what else can interfere with the thyroid hormone and how this can affect heart failure and high blood pressure?

RP: The polyunsaturated fats and stress are probably the most common things throughout Western diet culture. But traditionally, the cabbage family and beans were the main goitrogens, besides an actual iodine deficiency (goitrogens = things that interfere with the formation of the thyroid hormone). In the Andes and parts of Southern Mexico and Western China there's still a tremendous amount of thyroid deficiency and cretinism; i have read that there are (I think it was) a hundred million cretins in Western China; and beans are a major factor in the Andes in Mexico, and I think in China too. But the cabbage family, especially if they aren't cooked well...(so, the coleslaw...); if a person ate coleslaw every day they would very likely have a thyroid problem.

HD2: What about poor protein intake? Does that influence the thyroid hormone?

RP: Yah. In the 1940’s, studies were done, they saw that people in the concentration camps, men who came out and started eating well, would often grow breasts; and they saw that the starvation for protein, in particular, causes the liver to become unable to destroy estrogen. And thyroid is needed to inactivate estrogen. And if you’ re getting low calories, but especially low protein, you turn your metabolism down, so that you don't eat up the proteins in your muscles so fast. So, just a fairly slight protein deficiency will cause your thyroid to slow down defensively. And that means that your liver is leaving more estrogen in circulation. And then, estrogen blocks the enzymes which attach iodine to the protein [destined] to make the thyroid hormone. So, just stress or a protein deficiency will let estrogen rise; and rising estrogen will block the secretion from your thyroid, creating a vicious circle.

HD2: So, when these prisoners came out and started eating well, their livers were damaged so severely that their estrogen was really high.

RP: Yah, and animal studies showed that vitamins B1 and B2, as well as protein were the main things that activate the liver to inactivate estrogen.

HD: One of the best sources for B-vitamins is liver. Is that correct?

HD: There are callers coming in. Let's take that first caller.

Caller: *had a heart attack four years ago, has been prescribed statins, wants to know the downsides of taking statin drugs*

HD: The caller asked, what's the downside of an 18 mg dose of Simvastatin that he's been on for three years, following a heart attack four years ago.

RP: It depends on how much it interferes with cholesterol synthesis; but one of the side effects that turns up is... Because when you interfere with cholesterol synthesis, you're also interfering with some other very essential things, such as the synthesis of coenzyme Q10, and other regulatory things. And that can cause muscle problems, because coenzyme Q10 is needed for producing energy.

HD: Caller, do you know what your cholesterol is at this point?

Caller: It's come down quite a lot: 49 is the HDL and 46 is the LDL.

HD2: You know what the total is?

Caller: I think it's 147.

HD: That's pretty low.

HD2: How old are you?

Caller: 54.

HD: What a total cholesterol of 154 would be for that caller? And how could he avoid future heart attacks ?

Caller: And how long can I stay on Simvastatin before it affects me negatively ?

HD2: Do you know what your cholesterol was before you had a heart attack?

Caller: It wasn't that high. High end of normal.

RP: I doubt that there is any connection at all between the cholesterol and the heart attack. If it was in a normal range, you might actually not have had enough protective effect from cholesterol. It depends on what your exposure was, because cholesterol can protect you from heavy metal poisoning, many kinds of poisonings.

Caller: It's the first I've heard that cholesterol is protective. I’ll look into that.

HD: On Dr. Peat's website there are several articles specifically on cholesterol and it’s cardio-protective and anti-inflammatory health effects. And I said at the beginning of this show, there are two recent articles, both peer-reviewed, demonstrating clearly that cholesterol was beneficial in the outcome of heart failure patients, what Dr. Peat has been saying for a long time.

Caller: Thank you so much.

HD2: Thank you for your call.

SE: I am reading a simple question from a caller. Her friend had atrophy related to a pinched nerve in the neck and was curious about any dietary information that might be able to help atrophy related to a pinched nerve.

RP: There are several things that could hormonally and nutritionally relate to a pinched nerve. One of the most common situations of nerve pinching has to do with swelling of the sheath (or membrane) around the nerve. It swells up so much. And, for example, in thyroid deficiency or estrogen excess, the water makes this sheath compress the nerve. So that even without much external pressure or irritation, the nerve starts being damaged by the water-logged condition of its environment. And if it's in a neck joint, your cartilage might get softened, because of this hypothyroidism (which tends to cause water-logging of the cartilage, and causes it to be over-compressible). So, the structure of the cartilaginous disc, for example, can compress under the weight of your head and of the body, causing the disc to spread out and push on your spinal cord and nerves.

All of the connective tissues tend to swell up with high estrogen or low thyroid. So you want to check your hormones whenever there is a nerve pressure pinching problem.

In dogs and horses, many years ago they saw that dogs and horses both suffered spinal nerve compression. And paralysis of the rear legs was a common result from a compression of the spinal cord. And they found that a copper deficiency was responsible.

And keeping horses indoors eating dry hay was considered responsible for the copper deficiency; but the absence of light is one of the things that makes your respiratory enzymes lose its necessary copper. So the combination of darkness and possibly a copper deficiency in the diet will cause an energy failure, leading to a swelling of the connective tissues, leading to pinching of the nerves.

HD2: So, good quality, organic grass-fed liver, beef, calf's or buffalo liver, is a good source of copper ?

RP: Yah. And it's important to check your thyroid.
The medical community for 30 years now has been relying on TSH measurement as an indicator of hypothyroidism; but they don't like to see the TSH get very low. But TSH is in itself the cause of many of the symptoms blamed on low thyroid. It's partly the lack of the respiratory effect of the thyroid hormone, but when your hormone is low, the TSH is high, and the TSH has pro-inflammatory actions, that for example, increase the fibrinogen in your blood, making your blood harder to circulate, more viscous.

HD2: It's more easily clogged?

RP: Yah. So it's really best for your circulatory system and nervous system, and so on, to have your TSH at least at the low end of normal. Which, according to the American Academy of Clinical Endocrinologists, is 0.3 to 3.0; but one study found that a population that had TSH below 0.4 had the lowest incidence of thyroid cancer. And so, somewhere between 0.0 to 0.4 would be the safe range probably.

HD2: Because if you have enough thyroid hormone circulating then there shouldn't be a high level of TSH.

HD2: It can be a little bit confusing for patients sometimes.
I wanted to talk about salt, and how this affects water retention, swelling of the heart, heart failure and pregnancy toxemia. I think they are all linked to a salt deficiency. And scientific studies have shown that.

RP: If you just inject a fairly concentrated salt solution, you can see that it directly reduces the leakiness of blood vessels; but once anything such as starvation or high estrogen or whatever starts the leakiness problem of your capillaries, sodium tends to be the first thing that you lose. Estrogen is a major factor in causing the retention of water and the loss of sodium. So your fluids become hypotonic and they tend to force water into your cells, rather than drawing water out, as it's produced.

HD2: And this is common with PMS, when the estrogen rises. A lot of women experience increased swelling and bloating around this time.

RP: Yah. And the toxemia symptoms of pregnancy are essentially the same as PMS symptoms. And surprisingly, menopause involves many of the same symptoms as premenstrual syndrome. And that's one of the great mystifications created by the estrogen industry: they say [claim] that all of these bad symptoms are caused by a deficiency of estrogen. But in fact, you see the effects on the circulatory system - high blood pressure, leakiness, a tendency to form aneurisms and to have the aneurisms rupture and cause bleeding, the spontaneous hemorrhaging - all of these tend to associate with the time of menstruation, at the end of the premenstrual time (when the progesterone falls, leaving unopposed estrogen) and in toxemic pregnancies (when a women isn't getting good nutrition, especially not enough protein and salt, and in menopause).

6_03_2016_08_46_57.png

The menopause, in particular, has been characterized as a time of estrogen deficiency; but if you look at all of the events of menopause, the health failures of the various systems, they’re all identical to these other times of estrogen excess.

HD2: That’s why they had to stop that HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) trial (about 10 years ago) because too many women were getting heart attacks and strokes because of the high estrogen.

RP: And Alzheimer's disease.

HD2: And so for a while their doctors were not recommending HRT and they wanted women to come off of it; but somehow, I am now seeing women that are back on HRT. I don't know how it got switched around, in less than 10 years.
So, how does salt play a part in helping relieve this edema and excess of leak of water from the blood into the surrounding tissues, causing a puffy feeling and appearance?

RP: It has some direct effects on the mitochondria, increasing energy production and shifting the balance of the cell in the right direction to produce more carbon dioxide. And working with the carbon dioxide, it's very close to thyroid's effects in regulating its own concentration in the body (it increases carbon dioxide; and the carbon dioxide helps to retain as much sodium as you need). Without the sodium or thyroid, you tend to produce more lactic acid, displacing the carbon dioxide, causing inflammation and water retention. So many doctors will just insist that the more salt you eat, the more water you will retain and the higher your blood pressure will be. But David McCarron was the first medical person to point out that it's a calcium deficiency rather than a sodium excess that accounts for so much of the high blood pressure related to nutrition.

HD: So, they had it right in the 50’s and before, in the wars conducted in deserts and hot places (in North Africa or India) when they used to give the troops salt tablets. I remember my stepfather telling me about the salt tablets he used to get.

RP: One of the interesting effects of increasing your sodium intake is that it tends to stabilize your blood sugar, partly because it works with thyroid to improve energy efficiency. But it lowers adrenaline; and that makes your whole system work more efficiently. And it prevents hyperventilation, which is another way that people tend to lose carbon dioxide and shift over to lactic acid.

HD2: It's also a good thing to take - if you have a performance or a show, and you’re a little bit nervous about it - if you drink some orange juice with a little salt in it, it can really lower adrenaline and make you more calm and more relaxed for the show.

Caller: Do you happen to know of an herbal supplement for Isosorbide?

HD2: Isosorbide? I’ve never heard of it.

Caller: It's a time-release nitroglycerine for my heart.

HD2: There’s nothing that's an herbal nitroglycerine. Dr. Peat, do you want to talk about nitroglycerine to this client?

RP: Well, it increases your nitric oxide which is an age accelerating free radical. That's the worst thing about it.

HD2: As far as herbs for the heart, there is lots of herbs that are helpful for the heart, like hawthorn.

Caller: Right. OK, I just wondered specifically about Isosorbide.

HD2: Sorry, I can't help you there.

Caller: OK, thanks.

HD: Dr. Peat, what is the main way to prevent that people get blocked arteries from their diet? Just say a few quick words about it.

RP: Eating enough calcium interestingly is protective of the circulatory system and prevents hardening of the arteries with calcium accumulation, because the parathyroid hormone rises when you don't eat enough calcium or eat too much phosphorus. Beans, wheat germ and meat are very high in phosphorus and low in calcium. And vitamin K is very powerful at preventing calcification of the arteries.

HD2: Vitamin K is very high in nettle herb and kale and liver.

SE: A newly diagnosed diabetic would like some nutrient and dietary and herbal advice.

RP: A couple of my articles on the website explain why you shouldn't be panicked into avoiding sugar. Polyunsaturated fats are the best documented cause of diabetes.

HD2: So avoiding all those liquid vegetable oils, oily fish, pork fat, chicken fat, turkey, any poultry fat... and switching your diet to saturated sources like butter, coconut oil, beef, lamb fat.
And how it works is: the polyunsaturated fats poison the pancreatic beta-cells from producing insulin. So, eventually, once those are removed then your pancreatic beta-cells can recover and start producing insulin again.

RP: And glucose stimulates the regeneration of the beta-cells.

HD2: So the thing they tell you not to do, the glucose, is what you need. Read Ray’s articles on his website.

HD2: They have done clinical trials where they have actually seen pancreatic beta-cells come back. It’s not like they’ve all been destroyed, thus.

RP: I should mention the work of Uffe Ravnskov, a doctor who researched the role of saturated and unsaturated fats, and showed that there is no basis whatsoever at any time in history for the cholesterol scare.

HD: Thank you so much Dr. Peat for giving your time for people who are listening.

RP: OK.

burtlancast

That's the first time i hear that high triglycerides is a good thing in heart disease.
:shock:

OP
Giraffe

Giraffe

From the Horwich article. Thanks Burt for finding the full text.
Rauchhaus et al. [13,14] significantly contributed to the literature regarding cholesterol levels in HF. In a 2003 publication, this group analyzed two cohorts of HF patients (a derivation cohort in a metabolic study and a second independent group of HF patients) and also found that higher TC, LDL, and triglycerides (but not HDL) were significantly associated with improved survival. TC predicted mortality independent of other prognosticators, including cardiac cachexia, body mass index, peak oxygen consumption, and cytokine levels. LDL and triglyceride levels did not predict outcomes independent of TC. Receiver operator curve analysis identified a serum cholesterol of 201 mg/dL to be the best cutoff for mortality, similar to the 190 mg/dL described in the study by Horwich et al. [12].

HDL = the "good" one :ss

Peat said in an interview (link), that "toxins will tend to increase the HDL, relative to the LDL; toxins of most types will increase both of them defensively."

Higher body mass index and higher blood pressure both predict better outcomes in patients with acute and chronic HF. Furthermore, reverse epidemiology with respect to risk factors such as body weight, cholesterol, and blood pressure, has been observed in other chronic disease populations, such as maintenance hemodialysis patients, rheumatoid arthritis, AIDS, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and also in geriatric populations [19].[18,19•].

Potential Mechanisms for the Relationship Between Cholesterol and Mortality in Heart Failure

There are several potential mechanisms to explain the relationship between lipid levels and survival in HF. Low lipid levels may simply be markers for advanced disease and poor prognosis in HF. Low TC may be a reflection of malnutrition and cachexia, both of which are known to be associated with increased mortality in chronic HF [20,21]. Decreased lipid levels may also be a reflection of the systemic inflammatory activation characteristic of advanced HF. Both C-reactive protein (CRP) and cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor-α are upregulated in HF and predict poor prognosis in HF, and low lipid levels are closely associated with TNF and CRP [22,23].

tomisonbottom

From the Horwich article. Thanks Burt for finding the full text.

HDL = the "good" one :ss

Peat said in an interview (link), that "toxins will tend to increase the HDL, relative to the LDL; toxins of most types will increase both of them defensively."

Do you know what Ray thinks a good blood pressure is for someone middle aged? I can't seem to find a quote with ideal ranges although I know he thinks sometimes a little bit higher is better than the current recs